Goonies - Copper Bones Key update

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by RelicMaker, Nov 8, 2005.

1. RelicMaker

RelicMaker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Update: April 03, 2006
    Hey guys,
    Good news, I'm pretty much finished with the exception for smoothing out some of the texture and details and all the little dings that show age.

Some even GREATER news... I found a foundry near me that will cast these in SOLID COPPER... I will then add a real patina with chemicals that speed up the process, and polish up the areas to make this piece match the actual prop.

These will also be available cold cast in copper and then aged. I'll be adding as much copper as possible to the resin to where it should be around 80 to 90 percent copper. After I burnish it up and age it, it will be cold to the touch and have the weight of a real aged copper relic.

I'll be going up to the foundry this week to get an exact estimate on cost for this piece. So far, their ball park figure is reasonable.
    I'll let you know when this is happening and be moving this to the Junkyard for interested parties. I hope you guys like what you see so far...

-Brenton

[attachmentid=7453]

2. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Looks GREAT . :)

3. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the final product. I'm in when you give the word.

4. Atarian

Atarian Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, very cool. Interested.

5. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Real nice. looks spot on

6. gobler

gobler Sr Member

Nice. Interested as well.

7. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

INTERESTED....VERY INTERESTED.........Did I mention that I was INTERESTED.. Looks really good. Better than the crap on Ebay lately. :eek

8. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Who's not interested?? but if you guys keep saying you're interested, this thread will get changed by admin. Why don't we just stick to praise.

9. gobler

gobler Sr Member

True, true. RelicMaker, you are off to a fantastic start or more to the point finish :thumbsup What's the over all thickness of your sculpt? If you plan on casting in copper make sure you use a hi temp RTV or make a master you can re-mold or both. Can't wait till your finished.

10. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

Pretth * cool looking, would look great next to the map i purchased from you ;)

11. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

Wow, that's going to be great..

MBM

12. The Plasma Infusion

The Plasma Infusion New Member

Wow, that's real sweet. :thumbsup
    Put me down for the Solid Copper One too.

Bill P.

13. RelicMaker

Thanks. To all you guys for being interested and giving praise. I appreciate it.
    The over all thickness of this is about a 5/8's of an inch.
    Using a hi temp RTV? I've always heard that the copper melting point temperature is way too hot for hi temp RTV. I think the only metals you can use for hi temp RTV is lead and pewter. Somebody let me know if I'm wrong here.

14. gobler

gobler Sr Member

Well, copper melts at 1,978 F so yeah sillicone will not work, my bad. I guess the only way would be to finish your sculpt, mold it in an RTV silicone and from there make a master to set aside then use foundy wax to create a wax copy and then make a mold for metal pouring. I'm not sure what materials are used in foundry work but there are some fellas here that have done it. Smooth On has some good RTV for cold cast pours.

15. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

This is a showoff thread (great looking key, BTW). Please keep the "interest" comments in reserve for the hopefully soon-to-come JY thread regarding this piece.

Thanks,
    Lonnie

16. RelicMaker

Update: Dec. 29, 2005
    Sorry again for the delay. I know some of you guys are really interested in getting this. I've been swamped in photography work since November and haven't been able to even look at the Goonies Key. The holidays are over ,my heavy workload has subsided, and the inlaws from out of town have left. So, I should have some progress on this thing within the next couple of weeks.

17. KarlBud420

Thanks for the update. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the latest.

18. JonathanEntertainment

JonathanEntertainment New Member

Looks good great detail. Good Work.

19. KarlBud420

*Bump*

Any news Brenton? :confused

Bruce

20. RelicMaker

BAD NEWS Bruce and others...
    Unfortunately, the guy at the art supply store sold me some sculpting clay that had sulpher in it, when he said he was positive there wasn't. So, when I go to make the mold, GUESS WHAT?, the silicone doesn't cure.... I was extremely * off, if you can imagine.
    No worries though, I had already ordered and recieved some Klean Klay, so I'm back to work in sculpting another. I guarantee it will look as good as the last. I'm sorry to disappoint anyone who was anxious to get one of these, but I'll try and get this done as fast as time will allow.

-Brenton

21. mbmcfarland

mbmcfarland Sr Member

That's a bummer. Thanks for the update, though. Be sure and post some progress pics of the new sculpt so we can see. (The talent on this board always anazes me.)

MBM

22. KarlBud420

C'est la vie. Sorry to hear about the mixup at the arts and crafts store, but live and learn.

I'll be keeping my eyes out for more updates on this great looking piece. I think the copper will be amazing to see in person.

Bruce

23. RelicMaker

Yeah, I can't wait until I finally get this piece finished, so I can hold it in my hands and feel the weight and authenticity of it. It's just when you have a knock-dead gorgeous wife and three beautiful fun kids, it's hard to make time to finish anything. It almost seems like hobbies are for when you're young and when you're old, but this hobby is just too cool to put off.

-Brenton

24. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You aren't foolin anybody. We all know she was looking over your shoulder while you typed that. :D

keep up the GOOD work.

I'm NOT interested but if this turns into an interest thread then I would immediately change my mind. :)

25. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I think your original sculpt looked great. Can't wait to see the final piece.

26. RelicMaker

Update: March 23, 2006
    Hey guys,
    Sorry to take so long with this, but I thought I'd give you an update on the Copper Bones Key. I'm pretty much almost finished with the final second sculpt after the first mishap, except for adding texture and all the little dings that show age. These will be cold cast in copper and then aged. I'll be adding as much copper as possible to the resin to where it should be around 80 to 90 percent copper. After I burnish it up and age it, it will be cold to the touch and have the weight of a real aged copper relic. I thought about doing them in a metal alloy and then copper plating them, but then they'll be less of the real thing. I hope you like what you see so far.

-Brenton

27. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Looks like another great start.

If I may suggest a small tweak, though, many of your borders seem a touch too thick. This makes many of the recessed spaces seem a little too small when compared to the same spaces on the model (see near the left eye and the two "triangles" right under the skull for examples of what I'm talking about). Other than that, I'd say that you're in fine shape.

28. RelicMaker

I appreciate your critique very much, but trust me, the borders are right on the money. They just appear thick due to the lighting and the glare, which makes it a little decieving. Plus, I'm not finished with it anyway. I've still got a lot of work to do on it.
    I just wanted to show everyone the progress so far, since someone recently offered another rendition of the Copper Bones for sale.

29. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it looks fantastic.

Rylo

30. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

RelicMaker, would that be Indy Magnoli's copper bones? I have that one, and I've been looking at yours as well trying to see differences.

31. gobler

gobler Sr Member

:thumbsup Keep up the good work.

32. Marlin2000

Marlin2000 New Member

Looks really great. :thumbsup

33. RelicMaker

Juno, if you can't see any differences, maybe this will help. The picture in the center is one of the actual props from the movie. Plus, as I said before, I'm still working on mine...

[attachmentid=7357]

34. juno

No intention of creating bad blood -- I just really couldn't see the differences. And initially I had thought that you didn't realize there was another one out there.

Wow. I didn't realize it was that much larger. And I do see the differences now.

I'm still happy with mine because it's recognizable and the metal is what really makes it special. I think yours is pretty too, and there's always room for two. I'll just start collecting 'em like trading cards. ;)
    tif

35. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Do we know the actual size of the original screen used piece?

36. belloq

belloq Well-Known Member

The photos are not an accurate way of evaluating the relative or accurate sizes, but, on the indyprops version, if you look at the horizontal area between the "nose" hole and the top teeth, and compare it with the original prop in the center photo, I think you'll see a considerable innaccuracy.

37. RelicMaker

I'm not sure how big Indy's Copper Bones prop is, but from the picture I've seen on his website, with him holding it in his hand, it may be about the same size as my key, if not smaller.
    I made a guesstimation on my measurements, which I'm sure he did too, by studying the screencaps from the movie.
    My key measures 7 by 3 inches at the cheek bones. I figured it was a safe guess, just by rounding it to the nearest number.

I hate talking measurements of a prop, because it just never really sounds appropriate. :confused

38. Walter

Walter Sr Member

I am sorry I did not see the original sculpt, but the new one looks fantastic.

I will be looking forward to your updates.. :)

-Bryan

39. Thermalized Plastics

Thermalized Plastics Well-Known Member

Looking sweet.. I did theses about a year or more ago. :D All made out of copper and very HEAVY ....

[​IMG]

Thanks, :angel
    Thermal

40. juno

Really nice. I've yet to make myself a map.

41. RelicMaker

Update: April 03, 2006
    Hey guys,
    Good news. I'm pretty much finished with the exception for smoothing out some of the texture and details and all the little dings that show age.

Some even GREATER news... I found a foundry near me that will cast these in SOLID COPPER... I will then add a real patina with chemicals that speed up the process, and polish up the raised areas to make this piece match the actual prop.

These will also be available cold cast in copper and then aged. I'll be adding as much copper as possible to the resin to where it should be around 80 to 90 percent copper. After I burnish it up and age it, it will be cold to the touch and have the weight of a real aged copper relic.

I'll be going up to the foundry this week to get an exact estimate on cost for this piece. So far, their ball park figure is reasonable.
    I'll let you know when this is happening and be moving this to the Junkyard for interested parties. I hope you guys like what you see so far...

-Brenton

42. KarlBud420

Looks like you've managed to get your sculpt looking exactly like the reference. Great work.

Now I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to afford one.

Thanks for the update.

Bruce

43. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

That is some staggering attention to detail.
    I'm following this with interest.

44. RelicMaker

45. RelicMaker

Well, I dropped off the sculpt today at a local foundry to have cast in solid copper. The only thing that sucks, is that he told me it may be up to a month before I get my casts back, due to their huge workload, but it may be sooner. After that, I've got to jazz up the casts with the burnishing and patina to give it the exact aging as in the picture. So, it will be longer than I had expected.
    I'm going to go ahead and move this topic to the Junkyard today or tomorrow so everyone can get on the interested list.
    Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with me on this.
    See you in the Junkyard...

46. KarlBud420

Sounds like a plan. See you over there.

Bruce

47. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I'll look for it.

48. qwa_raig

qwa_raig Active Member

See ya in the jy, this is going to be great

49. vdubbin2001

vdubbin2001 New Member

That is going to so sweet, I will keep an eye out for this.

50. gobler

gobler Sr Member

:thumbsup Cool Beans. Looking forward to haveing this.