Goonies Copper Bones cast off original prop...

Looks like Factory Entertainment finally did it.

1620438705558.jpg

"The team at Factory Entertainment have recently returned from their very own hunt for One-Eyed Willy's treasure and have unearthed something that was thought to have been lost forever - the actual screen used prop of the Copper Bones Skeleton Key as featured in 1985 cult-classic movie, The Goonies. Working with the authorization of Warner Bros. and Amblin, Factory Entertainment was able to locate the actual screen used prop, which had been stored in the private collection of a prominent film maker. This The Goonies Copper Bones Skeleton Key Limited Edition 1:1 Scale Prop Replica is a must have for fans of the film. The hand painted and weathered limited edition prop replica is cast out of metal. It features a leather strap and comes packaged in a collector gift box. Measures about 6-inches long x 3-inches wide."

For $100, I'm totally in.

You forgot this part.
Using this newly available reference, our team got to work on replicating the prop by creating a digital sculpt, followed by a 3D printed prototype. The prototype was then used to create a casting master,

I've seen this doing the rounds and I really don't like it. It looks *very* different from the Copper Bones we saw in the 80's magazine article. I'd need some serious convincing of the lineage before I considered this more accurate than some of the fan sculpts I've seen.

So they did not even scan the original? Not cool. The magazine photo was not of a screen-used prop, but its level of detail is similar to the screen-used prop. However, this replica appears extremely soft in comparison. I know of no authentic castings. All of the replicas have been new sculpts.

So they did not even scan the original? Not cool. The magazine photo was not of a screen-used prop, but its level of detail is similar to the screen-used prop. However, this replica appears extremely soft in comparison. I know of no authentic castings. All of the replicas have been new sculpts.
Yeah. BBTS needs to change their description.
Capture+_2021-05-10-07-32-16.png

Like I said, I thought this prop was already floating around

Not that I'm aware of.

In fact, if you see ****ANY****** prop Copper Bones with writing on the BACK

it is Automatically a REPLICA !!!!! One of our own builders here has admitted that he added the text to the back based on one of the earlier riddles, and that the text is NOT original. (I just like CAPS and bold....I'm not really yelling... ;)......)

I wanted my message to stand out, so that people can better tell REPLICAS from ORIGINALS. This is a hazard in our business, so help in spotting replicas can help people.

Not that I'm aware of.

In fact, if you see ****ANY****** prop Copper Bones with writing on the BACK

it is Automatically a REPLICA !!!!! One of our own builders here has admitted that he added the text to the back based on one of the earlier riddles, and that the text is NOT original. (I just like CAPS and bold....I'm not really yelling... ;)......)

I wanted my message to stand out, so that people can better tell REPLICAS from ORIGINALS. This is a hazard in our business, so help in spotting replicas can help people.
I have one from a friend with no back. It's flat.

edit:
He's a SFX prop guy who's worked on a ton of stuff. He was just handing me some of his odds and ends. I's guess it was a fan sculpt, but I thought maybe the real one was out there. Crazy it's so elusive.

IMG_0127.JPG

I have one from a friend with no back. It's flat.
Not all replicas have writing on back. There are a bunch of cheap resin copper bones on eBay and other sites that have a smooth plain back. One of the members here first made one with writing and it is one of the best replicas, so a lot of people started copying him and selling theirs with writing. But there are still plenty out there with no writing.

Capture+_2021-05-11-17-05-34.png

According to BBTS Factory Entrainment is the ones being misleading.

People wonder why I HATE licensed replicas. It's because nothing is what they advertise it to be. Companies are not transparent and they do it for sales to the masses who don't know any better. Sad.

According to BBTS Factory Entrainment is the ones being misleading.

People wonder why I HATE licensed replicas. It's because nothing is what they advertise it to be. Companies are not transparent and they do it for sales to the masses who don't know any better. Sad.

I think (or agree...) that the detail is TOO soft on the item in the first post. If I had to point out the greatest flaw, it would be the teeth.

If it was created as a print of a scan of a prop....then the scan may not have been DEEP enough. Besides a true scan needing cleaned up, it may also be difficult to scan into deep recesses inside an object. The "clean up" may have been to fill in the missing detail from a scan of the teeth that did not scan enough detail into the crevasses between the teeth. So, it could still be from a scan, but clean up should also include replicating any visible to the eye detail that did not scan, and not just making the scan watertight and a solid object.

Surely during preproduction there would have been a master sculpt from which multiple castings were made. I know the magazine version was not THE screen used prop but I would have expected it to be pretty close to the actual prop in appearance, and by extension any accurate reproduction.

Perhaps the original prop has deteriorated over the years? This sculpt looks like it’s been left on the back seat of a hot car.

This might be how it actually looked when they were filming, but I would need some decent evidence to convince me.

Im sorry but the details just dont match up. The surround around the right eye is too thin. It may be just caked with dirt but the curvature on the right forehead doesnt match up at all. There is more filled in on the repro then the screen used one so that makes no sense. Right temple has a sharp ledge where the repro doesnt. Right cheek doesnt look the same. Also the left eye looks smaller then the right on the prop but doenst look that small on the FE one. When i look at my Raiders staff headpiece evey detail is a perfect match to the original . This one doesnt match in so many places. It may be a left over from the production but i have my doubt this was the one in the picture. Maybe its from another scene. Which blows a hole in the "only one made" story. Ill need to rewatch the movie to see if it can be id'd later on in the film.

CopperBones.jpg

No way. For real?

Edit: I see the description has changed to add that information where I pre-ordered it. Pre-order cancelled.

Can I cancel this post?
Please don't remove the thread. Members and people finding the thread through google searches may find this information very useful. You could perhaps alter the original title of the thread to signify your findings.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back