Question Google Adsense and other Affiliate Account Ads

I get all that Qui I don't need it spoon feeding from you. I am merely stating my opinion that I don't like the ads.

I am happy to pay and I bet a lot of others would be too. That was my point. Why don't we have a poll pay vs ads?

Joe

Joe,

We are definitely looking into potential solutions where non-paid advertising could be eliminated via a subscription system (basically a "donation" in an orderly fashion) but it is just one of several options we are looking into.

BTW, just for the record, I don't like ads either and don't know anyone who does, but as Qui pointed out, they are a great solution to keeping a free site free!

I am happy to pay and I bet a lot of others would be too. That was my point. Why don't we have a poll pay vs ads?
What about the best of both world? You can pay to upgrade your account and that nixes all of the ads. Some of us can't afford this and are fine with the ads and some of us can and will.

They do this on MSFN.org and I have seen it on other high traffic boards.

Joe,

We are definitely looking into potential solutions where non-paid advertising could be eliminated via a subscription system (basically a "donation" in an orderly fashion) but it is just one of several options we are looking into.

BTW, just for the record, I don't like ads either and don't know anyone who does, but as Qui pointed out, they are a great solution to keeping a free site free!

Let me preface this by saying I understand the need for you to take this course (the ads) to keep this place free.

Not every host/admin/owner has the capital to maintain a popular site on their own. (Hell..the owner of Facbebook cannot do it...hence the ads there).

Also let me state that I have nor earthly idea how ads even work to generate revenue for a site. I know simply looking at the ad is not giving you any money so I assum we have to click on the ad?

If that is the case...how about this...

Just set up a day or week where we have a "click off". Keep the ads off the RPF until a "click off" is schedule. Then...during the click off....every member clicks the hell out the google ads...hence generating revenue. That should set up a kitty to keep us free for a bit until the next click off, right? Turn the ads off until the next time.

(Again...I assume that is how money is generated?)

While I am sure that would make for some spicy gossip and commentary, we aren't interested in taxing sellers, but thanks for playing!

I am not sure why you are taking the defensive here, Art.

You made a suggestion, regardless if you intended it to be taking as a light hearted joke, and I merely asked if you were considering it.

And..I gave my reason for why I asked if you were considering it, (A couple of guitar forums I frequent do exactly what you have suggested and it proved very successful for them.)

I am not "playing" anything, Art.

I am willing to move on if you are....

Now...what about the "click day" idea. Is that possible?

Also, I believe it isn't just clicking the banner that makes the money flow... I think you also have to buy something from the site the banner leads you to. Or maybe that just gives a higher click percentage, I'm not sure.

Google is smart and will refuse all clicks they deem suspicious.

Now that I think of it. Sure, I'll take one for the team if it will do away with these annoying adds.

No problem at all putting my money where my mouth is. In fact, I'll PayPal you $500.00 this week just to make the adds and Google go away. I mean, how much can it cost to host the RPF for a year anyway?

Let me know if you want to take me up on my offer. I'm 100% serious.

-Rylo

Originally Posted by ART ANDREWS :
We could always look into charging a percentage of sales to those who use the site to sell runs of their product.

Art and TMG...

Thanks for the info on the click thing for google.

As I said...I really did not know how it worked or that it could be abused.

I will put up $100.00 on top of Rylo's $500. No strings attached. Just ditch the adds and the huge banner thing that is appearing at the top.

I guess there are strings attached, just very minor ones that I am sure everyone would not mind seeing go away.

Thanks for your consideration.

For large sections of its history, the site has been privately funded, and in between those times, there have been donation drives to keep it afloat. There have also been ads at the bottom of the index page for years which have supplemented the above.

While we greatly appreciate all who donated in the past and those who are offering to donate now, the donation model is not one we wish to continue to follow because it leaves us at the mercy of an ever-fluctuating economy and member's generosity. By implementing Adsense and work with the companies you already buy from to create new affiliate accounts or ads, we help ensure this site will be here for years to come and that future staff can focus more on the membership than on how they are going to pay next months site bills.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back