Good place to learn about 3d modeling? any forums?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by proboscis, Mar 22, 2012.

1. proboscis

proboscis New Member

*, typo in the title, I meant 3d printing

A lot of the prototype stuff I've dreamed of for years but never made because I'm not a machinist and I don't have the money/ambition is getting a lot closer to possible with this 3d printing stuff.

The stuff I want to make is relatively simple, and it'd be amazing to have them in titanium.

I want to get in on learning about this stuff before it really takes off and gets affordable, so I can really utilize it when it is...

Anyone else feel the same way, or anyone know of good resources/galleries/forums that discuss the stuff/follow it's evolution?

2. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think you'd need to model it on a computer in 3D before printing. So you'd need to understand that first. That's the way I understand it. Maybe the title in the title is true. :)

3. darthviper107

darthviper107 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can learn modeling in many places. As for 3D printing, there's a few things extra you would need to know about, so it's not that complex. NetFabb is a good tool for checking things like thicknesses and if your model has any issues (holes and such).