Good Omens and the David Tennant Crowley Costume

Bardsworld

I'm looking forward to the BBC/Amazon Prime adaptation of Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. As the trailers soak in I'm thinking Crowley's costume would be an interesting project, and that got me wondering where the Crowley sunglasses have come from. David Tennant appears to wear at least two styles in early photos.

The first (image from the Radio Times) have a distinctive screw pattern on the lenses, and punched metal side guards.
Good-Omens-David-Tennant-d47488e.jpg

The second (from Neil Gaiman's tweet)are more traditional horn rims.
DJ_mL4DWsAExChI.jpg

So far I've not found a good match for either, but I reckon a few minutes with wire cutters to remove the top bar would turn these $25 sunglasses on Amazon into a passable cheap prop if I add the screw heads onto the lenses.

Then I need to find that jacket with the distinctive collar!

He definitely goes through multiple pairs throughout the series (dependent on the era, Crowley has been around for an odd 6000 years).
Appears to wear some Victorian 'Double D' style sunglasses here
Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 21.03.07.png
Some John Lennonesque circular frames
Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 21.36.13.png
and the horn rims
Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 21.37.06.png

I'd imagine that most of the clothing is custom, but the watch looks like it could be an existing piece.
Only managed to find one clear shot of the face of it, appears to have mechanical numbers?

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 21.23.55.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-28 at 21.01.53.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 21.02.38.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 21.02.38.png
    570.1 KB · Views: 2,474
Actually had a chance to see the costume, currently being displayed at the "A.Z. Fell book shop" popup in Soho.

The jacket was produced by Acadamy Bespoke, no details on who the boots were produced by.

IMG_1400.JPGIMG_1401.JPGIMG_1410.JPGIMG_1402.JPGIMG_1411.JPGIMG_1403.JPGIMG_1404.JPGIMG_1399.JPG

The glasses are actually produed by Valentino (Crowley has seriously expensive taste), these seem to be the right ones.
Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 11.22.05.png

Last edited:
I'm going to be going with the long haired version of the costume.
  • The coat looks like a pretty standard short peacoat.
  • The t-shirt looks like any dark grey could work.
  • The vest seems like it's a bit more difficult, as a horseshoe collar seems a bit rarer these days; I've found "custom suit" sites that will make one, but I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much money.
  • The trousers look fairly standard; i.e., nothing uncommon about them.
  • The belt, I have no idea where to source that yet.
  • The neck thing I don't even know what to call to look it up (obviously).
  • The boots look black tinging towards red snakeskin pattern (as should be expected), but I also don't have good source for anything like that.

Anyone have source suggestions for the vest and the last three items?

• The vest seems like it's a bit more difficult, as a horseshoe collar seems a bit rarer these days; I've found "custom suit" sites that will make one, but I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much money.
  • The boots look black tinging towards red snakeskin pattern (as should be expected), but I also don't have good source for anything like that.

• I think this might be the belt. Warning: it's not cheap (but most of Crowley's attire isn't)
  • His scarf is reasonable enough to make. You'll usually see similar stuff listed online as a bohemian scarf necklace. Crowley ties it instead of just wrapping it. It looks like its a skinny knitted scarf with metal tassels added to the end. (Not sure if it's flat or if it's a circular knit. Admittedly I'm not much of a knitter/crocheter but my sister is and I can ask)

I think, for the belt, I'd be happy enough with just a buckle that looked similar / in the same vein.

Because yeah, that's pretty damn pricey.

• The coat looks like a pretty standard short peacoat
The coat is custom. It has peaked lapels and these are some of the highest peaked lapels I have ever seen - they are up by the shoulder seam.

Based on the pictures theflightyellz posted, the coat is channel quilted and it appears to be velvet or some other napped fabric.

The pants are probably best google-able by typing in "oil coated" skinny/slim/cigarette fit black jeans. They have a very (very) slight sheen, and "oil coated" (or just "coated") seems to weed out the over-shiny 80's band stuff.

I think the jeans are actually just black too, and only look bluish in some of the promotional materials due to having the lighting/contrast played around with (though there may be some in-episode version of his costume I'm missing.) Also the jeans also look slightly more distressed in some of the promo shots than in-show, though if you wanted that distressed look it would be easy to take some sandpaper to them.

Managed to find a cheap knockoff of Crowley's most recent iteration of the glasses that I'm happy with on amazon (hopefully linking is allowed?) Just going to snip off the top bar with some wire-cutters:

Having a hell of a time finding the scarf though, has anyone found anything similar? Might go interpretive and get something with a snake pattern like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 10.00.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 10.00.00 PM.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 2,398
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 9.59.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 9.59.22 PM.png
    351.5 KB · Views: 3,075
The item is no longer available cause I don´t wanna have problems, cosplay is a hobby and not a business. Thank you for your support.

Last edited:
for anyone who is interested in making the belt!

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Since the actual belt and buckle from the show come from another etsy user and they handmake theirs. I think this borders on stealing, especially since (I could be wrong) it doesn't look like you even credited them. And your making money off it. I do resin casting and I know how much this roughly costs you. Your making a profit of someone else's work and not even crediting them....
Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just being a jerk, but this somehow seems different than copying a major brands sunglasses or scarves made in a factory....anyway heres the original belts and buckle

The item is no longer available cause I don´t wanna have problems, cosplay is a hobby and not a business. Thank you for your support.

Last edited:
Here is my story: I szudied design 2 years ago, I am since that time on the search for a job. Nobody wants me, (I got a 1 in my final "Exams" - that is the best what you can get in germany). I am not only trying to get an design job, no I am applying for everything - gardener, seller, checkin agent, replacement service, yeah even cleaning man. All my ideas I had (I did stop motion puppets and movies) crashed in a financial disaster. Now I am living from the money that my girl makes. I am feeling that I am worthless cause I don´t get money. Now I modelled this cause I really wanna cosplay him. (my last cosplay was starlord, the money for the costume , which was REALLY expensive came all from the time when I studied and got money from mini-jobs) So the product came out really nice and I had some experience with expermimenting from the stop motion movie that I made shortly after my study-time. Some people reacted on social media that they want to get some, and I thought , yeah maybe that is my chance to get, at least , some money for our living (we make every month more and more owe). So yeah. I sold 2 already. Thank you for your support. I won´t sell them any longer.. I really don´t want to have MORE problems. The depressions I already have is enough to live with it. (I don´t will post something again about this in this thread or talk about this again..)
Again, thank you for your support and understanding.

I was just saying you should have at least credited the person's who's design you were using. Or talk to them to ask permission. Sorry your going through a rough time though.

I put together the episode one costume just under two years ago and the vest is the part that took the longest to source correctly. It is a wool backless tuxedo vest. The only options I've seen recently have the lapel etc with satin trim which is not right for Crowley, as his is completely wool. Those are the key search terms that should help you find the vest. He also only has three buttons on the closure of the vest and a lot of them have four instead.

As I did a female version of Crowley, that gave me a little bit of licence to change some things up a bit. Instead of the belt buckle I had a snake ring instead. The scarf is too wide, but I didn't have the source except for that first image Neil Gaiman tweeted to really get a good look at it and had to make do with the best I could find at the time. I've now got some wool and will be attempting to create the scarf myself and sourcing the jewelry ends that are required to cap it off. Not happy with my hair here as it just did not want to curl that day.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back