Good Netflix scifi/fantasy movie/tv show recommendations?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone have any good movies on Netflix, particularly scifi or fantasy. I've watched a few that were decent, Spectral, Code 8, I Am Mother, but they seem like they are about 70% of a really great movie, but something's missing. They are definitely entertaining, but not great. I Am Mother in particular felt more like it should have been an episode of The Outer Limits.

Honestly it's hard to find great movies and shows anywhere but here's a few that I've enjoyed and aren't necessarily new:

Shows:
Dark
The Rain
The Last Kingdom

Movies:
Anon
Whatever Happened to Monday
Polar (more of an assassin/action but still entertaining)

Last edited:
Tribes of Europa was pretty interesting, though it took me a few episodes to really get into it.

The first season of Altered Carbon was really good, the second season not so much.

The Dragon Prince is pretty good, a bit woke, but just shy of bashing over the head with it.

Drifting Dragons if you like anime.

Dragon's Dogma is another good anime, but really dark.

My Netflix list is kind of bonkers, looking at it... covering everything from GBBO to procedurals, to scifi, and beyond.

In terms of stuff I've watched that I really liked....
Shows:
  • The Witcher
  • Spycraft (A really fun docuseries about spies and the history of espionage)
  • Evil
  • The Good Place (seriously, this may be one of the best written shows ever, and actually manages a near-perfect finale)

Movies:
Project Power

Looking for these titles made me realize I don't really watch many movies on Netflix for some reason...

I did watch Project Power, that was pretty decent. I watched one called "Revolt" the other night. You can skip Revolt... I also watched the Witcher, which I thought was great. I also saw that Spycraft show, which is definitely something I would watch, but haven't seen it yet.

With Warhammer 40k set to get its cinematic feet under it over the next couple years a new animated anthology series is coming, basically to introduce new people to the Warhammer 40k setting called Hammer and Bolter.

And of course there's 3 seasons of Castlevania so far as well.

Last edited:
I finished Dark and it was pretty darn good! A lot of people online said it had the best ending of any scifi show, which I don't agree with, but it was good. I know some people don't liked dubbed shows, but you don't even think about that after you start watching.

I finished Dark and it was pretty darn good! A lot of people online said it had the best ending of any scifi show, which I don't agree with, but it was good. I know some people don't liked dubbed shows, but you don't even think about that after you start watching.
I've heard a lot of people were pretty upset about the ending, so I guess it's a 'your mileage may vary' series. :)

Netflix just confirmed the next Castlevania series will follow Richter Belmont and take place during the French Revolution.

Not new but rewatched Minority Report again and it still holds up. Some plot holes if you deep dive but the movie is great and its Cruise in his prime.

if you like RPG fantasy, the anime Overlord is quite good but its very video gamey as well so may not be your cup of tea.

I've been watching Sweet Tooth, which has RDJ and his wife attached as Executive Producers. It's both surprisingly sweet and deeply disturbing at times.

I've been watching Sweet Tooth, which has RDJ and his wife attached as Executive Producers. It's both surprisingly sweet and deeply disturbing at times.

I just finished it over the weekend. Loved it so much. Now I'm worried that if there isn't enough buzz about it there won't be a 2nd season.

Its not a perfect show by any means and some of the visuals and story elements hit a little too close to home, given the current state of the world, but still well worth it I think. For me, the casting is great, love the visuals, and its just pulled me in so easily that I had to force myself not to binge it in one day.

I finished Shadow and Bones a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. It's not a classic fantasy in the Lord of the Rings or D&D vein, but it's fantasy in that it has magic and supernatural elements. The cast is good and what makes it really interesting, to me, is that instead of being set in some sort of fictional Medieval western Europe, it's set in a fictional 17th - 19trh century Russia.

I just finished it over the weekend. Loved it so much. Now I'm worried that if there isn't enough buzz about it there won't be a 2nd season.

Its not a perfect show by any means and some of the visuals and story elements hit a little too close to home, given the current state of the world, but still well worth it I think. For me, the casting is great, love the visuals, and its just pulled me in so easily that I had to force myself not to binge it in one day.
I absolutely adore the kids who play Gus and Wendy. So sweet. :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back