Gonk Droid Parts????? Pics help as well

Tom1971

Sr Member
Been searching but info on screen used parts is scarce or I'm not looking in the right place.

I am looking to build a Gonk Droid but I want it screen accurate.

I know a lot just use a variety of tubs.

Does anyone know what tubs and or any other parts they used for the first Gonk Droid we see in ANH?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've been searching all over and there are hardly any pics of the first Gonk droid scene in the Sandcrawler. Just a couple screen caps.

If anyone has any it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This is droid discrimination. All anyone wants is R2 and his gold buddy.

I always wondered about those two.

Is there no love for the kind little Gonk droid.

I personally like Gonk.

I think sometimes building something different is the key, like you said R2 is the popular one but I think Gonk is cool in his own way. After all what would Star Wars have been without him?

He wasn't the droid they were looking for so I wonder where he ended up after the sandcrawler was attacked - taken to the spice mines of Kessel, smashed into who knows what?

Good luck with your build. Hope you find some answers here.

I've seen several very well made Gonk droids made from 2 specific looking rubbermaid storage containers, flipped on top of eachother. That's essentially how they were made in the movies. If you're cleaver about sourcing out greeblies and parts, a paint job and construction based on how complex you want it would do the trick.

The problem is locating the exact storage containers they used. I've been searching and I have found a number of ones that have the correct overall size and shape but have yet to find the exact one with that center indentation on the side.

Thanks for posting the links. I had seen those and they are about all I've been able to find.

Was the Gonk a U.K. build?

I'm assuming it was.

That might help with finding the correct boxes.

minifig

Try GONKbuilders on Yahoo groups (groups.yahoo.com)

I've been casually looking for Gonk droid design info for about 18 months now. I'd like to build a static model to display at 501st Legion events. But no luck finding a good parts list. Again, I've been pretty casual about it - not looking REAL hard. If you find more info please post it! Much appreciated.

Here are some references, I have about as much knowledge as you do at the mo'...
Lifesize Gonk Droid (ANH Sandcrawler version) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
That particular one is my build. I couldn't find screen-accurate storage tubs, so I heavily modified a couple that were the correct depth. The indentations were created by cutting the tubs in half and adding an insert. The wider section that goes around the droid's equator is solid timber, and has a cross-brace on the inside that the legs attach to.

I might have some some WIP photos stored on a back-up drive somewhere.

That particular one is my build. I couldn't find screen-accurate storage tubs, so I heavily modified a couple that were the correct depth. The indentations were created by cutting the tubs in half and adding an insert. The wider section that goes around the droid's equator is solid timber, and has a cross-brace on the inside that the legs attach to.

I might have some some WIP photos stored on a back-up drive somewhere.

I saw pics of this. Awesome build. I know most just have fun with it but yours is the most accurate one I've seen of the original Gonk.

Thanks for posting. Any pics, especially something that shows scale and any measurements would be awesome.

Try GONKbuilders on Yahoo groups (groups.yahoo.com)

I've been casually looking for Gonk droid design info for about 18 months now. I'd like to build a static model to display at 501st Legion events. But no luck finding a good parts list. Again, I've been pretty casual about it - not looking REAL hard. If you find more info please post it! Much appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I signed up and went through it but not much for accurate original Gonk. Cool builds though.

I'm going to base one off of the jawa/droid toy pack. There are good pics of all sides of the droid floating around.
_00031817.jpg

I'm using the Wookee measurement of 1.1 meter for height. I just made a tape measure based off the total height of the gnk to get the other measurements (accurate-ish to an inch or so). To the best of my knowledge the actual totes have not been found, so this will be good enough for me.

I'm going to base one off of the jawa/droid toy pack. There are good pics of all sides of the droid floating around.
_00031817.jpg

I'm using the Wookee measurement of 1.1 meter for height. I just made a tape measure based off the total height of the gnk to get the other measurements (accurate-ish to an inch or so). To the best of my knowledge the actual totes have not been found, so this will be good enough for me.

I'm working on one. I have searched far and wide but no luck on the tubs and any measurements are a guess for me at this point.

What measurements did you come up with?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back