Goliath from Gargoyles costume W.I.P

dalenous

Hello fellow RPFers!
I am going to be working on my first large project. Goliath from the TV series Gargoyles! There will be multiple costume methods used in this build.

1. I will be making a full body muscle suit. Because of the large stature of Goliath (I am guessing at least 6'6) as well as the massive muscle proportions, a muscle suit is needed. I am planning on using urathane for the muscles, that will be glued onto a morph suit. I will follow the methods provided by Mikefu http://www.therpf.com/f78/carnage-costume-wip-muscle-suit-pics-vids-199293/(carnage costume) and M16 http://www.therpf.com/f78/giant-style-venom-speed-build-halloween-163222/ (Venom speed build). Thank you two for great inspiration!

2. To replicate the feet of Goliath I will be making digitigrade stilts. Actually I have already made them, I will just have to modify as they are simply prototypes. I will use the same foam to cover the stilts and make the feet and talons.

3. I plan to have articulating wings, at least in the vertical direction. I will be using a modified version of these wings Articulated Wings Explained - YouTube. Because of the muscle suit I should have no problem securing and hiding the harness.

4. Finally I will be making facial prosthetics to (hopefully) replicate Goliaths facials structure. Oh and not to mention fangs and contacts :).

I realize this is QUITE the ambitious project and look forward to any comments and suggestions!

*edit*
I added these pictures of the stilts So far. The second one was me using some scrap clay from school to sculpt out some feet ideas, I think I decided on three toes instead of the 4. It's a pretty rough prototype... but it works as intended.
stilts.jpgleg.jpg

Last edited:
You know honestly, the armored Xanatos idea is NOT a bad idea! I'm thinking a mix of Iron Man and Goliath. You could do the muscle suit idea like mine but, you would have the benefit of not worrying about muscle definition because the suit is made of steel. The foam I am using costs about $10 for a 1"X2'X4' section, so for relatively cheap you could pull it off! Digitigrade stilts can also be made almost entirely of wood and scrap metal. I think the idea certainly is not silly at all :). I have had to save quite a lot of money to just get started on this project. I live in Alaska so I spend more on shipping than the materials actually cost.... But if you can imagine it you can do it!

Do you happen to have the toy to use as a reference? I've got 95% of the collection including Goliath figures so if you need any weird angle or close up photos just let me know.

Can't wait to see how this shapes up!

I don't have any action figures but I do own the DVD set of the show. So Ill be watching a lot of that to get an idea on how things should turn out. Because there is not that much definition in Goliaths muscle structure, mostly basic shapes, I will have a lot of room to work with on how I want it to turn out. Of course I will be going for more of a defined muscle structure than the one on the show ( it looks like he has one massive pectoral muscle), But the silhouette is very important so I will be trying to capture that as closely as I can.

muscle suit WIP.jpgHere is a small update. I currently do not have a full mannequin, but one is in the mail and should be here soon. You can kind of get the idea of the muscles. I am a little worried that this foam wont be able to support the definition I am looking for. I might have to go to a higher density foam, at least for the obliques. I really wont even know if these proportions are right until the full size mannequin comes in. But that doesnt mean I can't have a little fun! Im hoping to regularly up date every few days or so, at least once a week. So Till next time!

Don't use too dense of foam because it is less flexible. to add better definition you can try using a wood burner or soldering iron with a point but make sure it is very well ventilated. Try it on a test piece first to see if it will work for you. Good luck:)

I plan on going to the craft store and seeing If I can buy a hot wire cutter. My biggest problem is rounding off the edges, it isn't too easy with scissors.

So I got a hot wire cutter. It does NOT cut the foam in the slightest. Works GREAT on styrofaom, and insulation foam, just not the urathane padding. So I might have to have a mixture of soft and hard foam. Not sure, if anyone has ideas let me know.

Round off the edges with red devil steel sanding paper. Check out the link in my post to my Ganon thread. Maybe you can get some idea from seeing what I did.

Round off the edges with red devil steel sanding paper. Check out the link in my post to my Ganon thread. Maybe you can get some idea from seeing what I did.
What a great idea! I was wondering what I can do to round the edges off. Thanks for the advice. I have had a pretty busy in school with exams and term papers. Hopefully i can finish the chest and start working on arms this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Shared on Pulse! Looking forward to seeing it all come together!
Thanks for the share! Could you post a link for where you shared it at for me please? :)

What a great idea! I was wondering what I can do to round the edges off. Thanks for the advice. I have had a pretty busy in school with exams and term papers. Hopefully i can finish the chest and start working on arms this week.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the share! Could you post a link for where you shared it at for me please? :)

Hiya!

Entertainment and Movie Prop News | The RPF Pulse

You'll need to scroll down a little to find it now.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back