Goliath from Gargoyles costume W.I.P

Hey all, just a quick update. I have been at a stand still trying to find a mannequin to help me assemble my suit. I finally found one that I can afford and it should be here shortly. I look forward to posting updates more frequently!

Hey all,
I am still waiting on the mannequin to get here (shipping to AK takes forever). In the meantime I made a duct tape form of my leg while in the leg stilt. After a day of foam carving I have a rough start on the leg.
leg wip.jpg leg wip 3.jpgleg2 wip.jpg

If you are sculpting this on a tray table then you sir are a boss.
Haha yeah that is a TV tray. That is a really rough sculpt of what I want the foot to look like. Once I get my muscle suit done I will tie in the feet with the upper leg to make sure everything is proportional. I most likely will shave the form down on the ankle so it doesn't look so cylindrical. Making the foot first also helps me calculate the upper body proportions pre-fabrication.

Wow, amazing. Definitely subscribed. And those feet! Are they going to have a sole, or will you be wearing a pair of shoes inside of them?

Also, I bet the show runner, Greg Weisman, would love to see this too— he still stays really in touch with the fan base. You should shoot him a pic on twitter.

Wow, amazing. Definitely subscribed. And those feet! Are they going to have a sole, or will you be wearing a pair of shoes inside of them?

Also, I bet the show runner, Greg Weisman, would love to see this too— he still stays really in touch with the fan base. You should shoot him a pic on twitter.

I actually made a special style of stilts called digitigrade stilts that is currently inside the foot. There is a pair of shoes screwed to the stilts.

And contacting Greg Weisman is a GREAT idea! I didn't even though about that. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the support! I feel like it's coming together nicely. Any constructive criticism is gladly appreciated :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

You might want to add some veins down the arms . I use sting for that effect. Since you are skinning the costume the veins should appear subtle .

I have never skinned my creature costumes. I use this method. When My Brain Leaks, the Drops Drip Here.: Past Project: Predator Costume
Although I do feel Mikefu's method works so well it is worth following.

Make sure the foams hard edges are all gone. Three things ruin a good foam creature costume: bad anatomy, hard edges, and a bad paint job.
I use texture in my foam creatures to hide my mistakes, but Goliath is pretty smooth.

So once the body looks alright you have to make sure the paint job is great.
Mottling, shading, and paint splatter are your friend when it comes to making it look like flesh. Even if the body turns out mediocre. A awesome paint job will sell the effect of flesh. I learned how to airbrush a costume/flesh look with this tutorial. https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/creature-mask-painting . Just used watered down latex and acrylic paint, until it could run through an airbrush and went at it.

Last edited:
You might want to add some veins down the arms . I use sting for that effect. Since you are skinning the costume the veins should appear subtle .

I have never skinned my creature costumes. I use this method. When My Brain Leaks, the Drops Drip Here.: Past Project: Predator Costume
Although I do feel Mikefu's method works so well it is worth following.

Make sure the foams hard edges are all gone. Three things ruin a good foam creature costume: bad anatomy, hard edges, and a bad paint job.
I use texture in my foam creatures to hide my mistakes, but Goliath is pretty smooth.

So once the body looks alright you have to make sure the paint job is great.
Mottling, shading, and paint splatter are your friend when it comes to making it look like flesh. Even if the body turns out mediocre. A awesome paint job will sell the effect of flesh. I learned how to airbrush a costume/flesh look with this tutorial. https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/tutorials/creature-mask-painting . Just used watered down latex and acrylic paint, until it could run through an airbrush and went at it.

I am kind of at odds on what I should have prioritized with the muscles. In the show, Goliath is, like you said very smooth. He does not have much muscle definition and is more large than muscular. I did want to add some sort of realism to his muscles however. I do have a bit of fine tuning like smoothing out the hard edges, making sure muscle transitions are smooth, and making sure my proportions are realistic. There are quite a few gaps between muscles that I need to fill in. Any suggestions on what I should scale down/change up? Thanks for the advice!

I think your scale is pretty good. The first picture on post #28 the arms are looking a bit short.
I think if the claws on the hands are large enough they should help without having to make arm extensions.

Last edited:
I think your scale is pretty good. The first picture on post #28 the arms are looking a bit short.
I think if the claws on the hands are large enough they should help without having to make arm extensions.
I am currently working on the hand sculpts. I plan on making them out of foam latex. Right now the fingers are about an inch longer than my fingers. And the claws are about an inch long as well. So I think they will help make up for the arm length :)

I really liked the show growing up, so I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

On the muscle debate, I believe that one of the main reasons Goliath, or any of the other gargoyles, didn't have any definition was that drawing that kind of detail would shoot the budget through the roof. I remember some making-of commentary on Disney's animated Tarzan movie, and what they pointed out was that Tarzan was a huge deal and still is, because he has muscle definition, and spends the majority of his time in a loincloth. Animating defined muscle well ranges from a huge hassle to impossible, depending on your budget. It's likely that they just took the easy route and made them less featured to spare expenses. It might also have helped to get what was basically permanently nude people past censors.

In the case of the muscle suit, you could cut back some on the bulk of the biceps and triceps and add some more to the core. The white walls behind you could be camouflaging the sides, but it looks like you have a rather thin waist at the moment.
Lowering the deltoids a bit could also work, as you seem to be getting "crowded" from the sides, allowing too little neck to show. Higher shoulders also take away from how broad you become, and in body language it signals tension and anxiety. Goliath's shoulders sits further down, implying he's collected and calm. Just an idea on how to get the silhouette.

I'd also like to see what it looks like from behind. All the gargoyles hold their legs horizontal when they fly. This means that they need ridiculous strength in their lower backs, especially since they don't seem strained at all and have huge, powerful legs.
On the feet; right now they look a little "boxy". His feet tappers backwards, so trimming off the sides towards the heel if possible could get you the look.

Are you planning on filling in the "valleys" in the pectorals, or have them like this? If you're going for a supercharged human physique, that kind of definition is very rare, and might even look strange if the rest of the body is less defined. The chest is an area where both bodybuilders and strongmen alike seem rather smooth, bar the valley down the center (which Goliath does lack as well)

Keep in mind that I have never built a bodysuit, and look at this through a lens of sculpture study, so what works might not transfer over. Grain of salt and all that.
Also, it's your suit, so you do what you feel is right.

As a last addition, I managed to find a series of closeups on one of the figurines of Goliath. It has some more detail to it, so maybe you can use it for inspiration.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29246775@N04/sets/72157622359069991/show/

I loved this show growing up. You are doing a great job. I was wondering if you know of a good in depth tutorial, for a noob like myself, on builing good muscle suits? I am thinking of doing a Hulk costume but have no experience in this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Again great job so far, I cannot wait to see the final product!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back