Golden Time Travel Sphere from 'Dark' [First Full Print Done; UPDATED 11/AUG/2020]

Particle chamber is done!

20200808_142824.jpg
20200808_142833.jpg
20200808_142929.jpg

I've closed the physical run, as no one seems interested in ordering one. I have listed the STL files on Cults3D for those who wish to print their own. Link Here. Thanks for following, everyone!
That's a shame.
I think these are tricky times for the prop hobby, for those not fortunate to have job security and guaranteed healthcare, disposable income is at a premium.

Did you at least get around to finishing and painting your 3D printed master orb to keep for your own collection?

That's a shame.
I think these are tricky times for the prop hobby, for those not fortunate to have job security and guaranteed healthcare, disposable income is at a premium.

Did you at least get around to finishing and painting your 3D printed master orb to keep for your own collection?
Agreed, no worries. I plan on upgrading to a large format SLA printer in the spring, then I can print the full molds to make the process easier.

I actually just got an Elegoo Mars 2 Pro, so perhaps I'll pick up your files and try making one of my own...Thank you for making them available!

I've closed the physical run, as no one seems interested in ordering one. I have listed the STL files on Cults3D for those who wish to print their own. Link Here. Thanks for following, everyone!
Thanks for making the model available!

What are your thoughts on tackling the machine at some point? I have 100+ 4K reference shots and have annotated blueprints with 85% of the known dimensions filled out, plus I have sourced the actual left side ammeters so I can provide shots of those. I feel like it's a prop that will be iconic in years to come, but it's going to take a village to get it off the ground as there are so many aspects to it. There are probably some other found objects on it that have yet to be ID'ed, but a lot of the master prop hunters on this forum haven't watched the show...

Thanks for making the model available!

What are your thoughts on tackling the machine at some point? I have 100+ 4K reference shots and have annotated blueprints with 85% of the known dimensions filled out, plus I have sourced the actual left side ammeters so I can provide shots of those. I feel like it's a prop that will be iconic in years to come, but it's going to take a village to get it off the ground as there are so many aspects to it. There are probably some other found objects on it that have yet to be ID'ed, but a lot of the master prop hunters on this forum haven't watched the show...
I'm down to start working on it. Idk if you're aware of Fusion360 and their new changes, but we are limited to only 10 active files per account now. Shouldn't be a problem, as everything will be modeled by hand, but we shall see. Send whatever references and info you have to joshedgarstudios@gmail.com and I'll start preparing.

What size printer did you print your proof of concept on? Can the sphere segments be printed in one piece on something like the Elegoo Mars? This is fantastic design work, BTW. I've got a project of my own I haven't posted about yet that I actually started in Rhino and then migrated to Fusion 360 and it was a bear. Fusion's a great tool (the licensing traps are another story) but certain processes like projecting sketches onto rounded surfaces, etc. have always been a PITA to get right. They only just released the emboss feature which finally makes that easier. Did you use that when doing things like the tick marks? Or did you do it some other way?

What size printer did you print your proof of concept on? Can the sphere segments be printed in one piece on something like the Elegoo Mars? This is fantastic design work, BTW. I've got a project of my own I haven't posted about yet that I actually started in Rhino and then migrated to Fusion 360 and it was a bear. Fusion's a great tool (the licensing traps are another story) but certain processes like projecting sketches onto rounded surfaces, etc. have always been a PITA to get right. They only just released the emboss feature which finally makes that easier. Did you use that when doing things like the tick marks? Or did you do it some other way?
The 1:1 scale orb is 12cm in diameter, which is just slightly over the Mars' build plate. V3 was printed at 95.85% and the size difference is negligible.

I didn't know they had an emboss tool, that would have been so much easier haha. I think I just did project sketch or something.

I haven't watch Dark, but seeing your progress has intrigued me and I now want to watch it to see what this item actually does hehe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back