Golden Idol stunt cast, finished - Pics

ob1al

Sr Member
Hi all

I've just finished off a nice cast of the Raiders stunt idol I recenlty acquired:

1439575365pc.jpg

Here's the real prop from the Lucas archives - I wanted to replicate thew same look:

propidol3pz.jpg

I intended to have thi splated, however there has been a change of plan - for the time being, I've finished this one using Plast--kote Brilliant Metallic projekt paint - the same stuff that many were using to finish 3PO heads with a while back. It gives a very reflective, metallic surface and has worked quite effectively on this prop. A much less expensive option than plating, too, as I found out when asking around.

I may still have it vac-metallised or plated at some point, I would like to know more about the whole process for other props too.

Anyway, here are the results for the time being:

idol0032xk.jpg

idol0011uu.jpg

idol0056ey.jpg

idol0068kj.jpg

Regards

Al

Very nice results. Hard to do with spraypaint, but you pulled it off nicely.
I have a plated version, I think it could cost around $150-200 to do. And from what I remember, you have to fill any holes with bondo as thats the only stuff that can stand up to the plating process.

Thanks - yeah, the paint is not as nice as real plating, but for just a few quid the reults are really quite pleasing. :)

Here are another couple of pics:

idol0125ly.jpg

idolcomparison5qq.jpg

Even if it takes bloody months to completele cure :p

<div class='quotetop'>(ob1al @ May 19 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1246854[/snapback]</div>
Thanks - yeah, the paint is not as nice as real plating, but for just a few quid the reults are really quite pleasing. :)

Here are another couple of pics:

idol0125ly.jpg

idolcomparison5qq.jpg

[/b]

Very true - now this has been painted up, its up on a display shelf and won't be handled for a good long while , to let the paint completely cure. Ironically, Plasti-kote say that it takes around 2 hours to completely dry...PMP. :lol

So the "Stunt Idol" did have the turned down mouth and no pupils? I always wondered why the Luas Archive book had that Idol and not the Hero version. Anyone know why they made two different designs?

<div class='quotetop'>(Jedifyfe @ May 19 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]1246974[/snapback]</div>
So the "Stunt Idol" did have the turned down mouth and no pupils? I always wondered why the Luas Archive book had that Idol and not the Hero version. Anyone know why they made two different designs?
[/b]

I supect that the different versions were made to give the idol a more 'lifelike' persona - there is the standard hero idol, then there is the idol with real, moving eyes, then the stunt idol. The stunt idol was mostly used after Indy grabs it and is running away with it, escaping giant boulders and so on - perhaps the downturned mouth was meant to symbolise the idols displeasure at being stolen. :p

Did anyone else notice that this idol was used in at least TWO movies?

I am not sure if anyone else cought it, but it was not only an Indiana Jones prop but a Majestic prop too. It was in the black and white film that Jim carrys charatcter wrote.

It's also in a kids movie the kids were watching the other day and my son pointed it out to me... it's in Spy Kids 2 in the scene where they find all the treasure in the cave. Hehe my son goes "Dad look they have the idol like you do..". Then they just shrug and toss it to the side.... LOL..

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back