Golden Idol Base

It would be faster and cheaper to just get some foam at the craft store and make one.
Definitely the way to go Matthew Gresham it would give you a better finish and be much much quicker. I painted mine with stone effect plasticote the airbrushed the details. To cut the patterns just use a soldering iron. If you dont have one then heat up the tip of a screw driver. Also if you get adventurous you can always add to it at a later date. I went the whole hog with mine and built the lot..... with retracting pedestal centre when you try to steal it.
20190716_124819.jpg

What paint did you use on your idol? Love the antique gold look of it

That idol isn't painted, it's a bronze idol that Hand Schaub made a few years ago.

As for my pedestal, I took a couple of foam cake forms from the craft store and covered them with spackle, then patted it down with crumpled up plastic bags to make it look like stone. After that I sprayed on some of that stone spray paint you can get at the hardware store to give it extra texture. Then I sponged on black, white, and gray acrylic paint until I got it to a stone looking color I wanted. Next, I used a toothbrush dipped in black and white paint to fling paint on and make the speckles. Finally I did a black and brown wash over the whole thing to dirty it up and a little green here and there to make it look like moss had grown there.

i just did a quick and dirty 3D print in Fusion360. it's just a cylinder with a fillet top edge. threw on some paint and some sand for texture and a bit of moss that i had in my diorama supplies.
48813142817_55bf5ef083_o.jpg
DSCF8681 by aus_mus, on Flickr

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back