Gluing EVA Foam to Eastbay Compression

Random490

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find exact info on this. I intend to make a Dark Knight style suit using EVA foam and gluing it to eastbay compression. The thing I'm not sure about is what kind of glue to use and more importantly how to glue it on. I just want to know if the glue will seep through the material or not, if I would have to have some kind of protection between my body and the material, that won't be stuck as well.

I hope to have this costume finished for Halloween. So, I really appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

Damn you should have gotten the mock neck style for the top so you have something to mouth the neck on better. Great brand though eh? I love buying from east bay.

Damn you should have gotten the mock neck style for the top so you have something to mouth the neck on better. Great brand though eh? I love buying from east bay.
Do you mean This? I thought about it but I wasn't sure the neck would reach the cowl properly, I was going to find something else for that part.

If you use a spray adhesive like 3M High Strength 90, it won't soak through your fabric as long as you don't just spray the area to death. Also you need to give it the appropriate amount of time to dry before adhering both surfaces to one another, otherwise, you will press the adhesive through the fabric.

3M Foamfast 74 is another that has worked for me.

Here's an example:
phillip1.jpg

If you let it sit too long before putting together, you can use a hair dryer to, sort of, unset the glue.

If it does seep through, you can use something like goof-off on a cloth or rag and wipe it across the surface of the fabric, don't press it on or wipe TOO hard. It's just enough to remove the glue off the surface but not enough to soak through and remove the adhesive from the other side.

Hope that makes sense. PM me if not or you need more help.

I believe when the adhesive gets tacky, is when its good to go. The amount of time won't be the same because of different weather conditions. Takes longer in humid areas etc. But to put a value as an example, it usually tacks in about 2 minutes here. I live in a dry heat area(desert).

What is a rough amount of time? Minutes or seconds?

I'd like to know this as well, is there a way to tell when it's dry enough or is it a guessing game?

Oops, sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner.

For me, it's usually about 5 mins or so, but please consider what j0wE said. I know it's ready when I can touch the glue with my bare hand and it doesn't come off the foam or the fabric but still has a slight bit if stickiness to it.

Even if you let it sit for a little longer than expected, you can still adhere the fabric to the foam and then use a hair dryer to heat up the glue from the fabric side. Once you've heated it for a moment, you can then smooth it over with your hands or a smooth edged tool if you have valleys like I did in the foam shoulder pad shield above.

It takes a little trial and error but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy.

Quick note:
Don't get the hair dryer so close that it damages the fabric. :)

my wife uses a fabric adhesive called "Sew No More" to attach school patches/badge to our daughter's school uniform. might work for the purpose you intend.

I would sugest making a duct tape dummy of yourself and dressing the dummy in the compression suit. Then glue the pieces to the compression suit.

I tested 3M 90 a bit with another piece of the project and one thing I found was that 3M had a fairly large and a bit unpredictable spray area and I'm a bit afraid of spraying on too much area. Since I have a lost of smaller pieces to glue on. Plus I had some trouble telling if it was tacky enough or not. So I'm not entirely comfortable using it.

I was thinking what if I used Super glue gel like crazy glue, at least for some parts or the edges. What does anybody think?

I tested 3M 90 a bit with another piece of the project and one thing I found was that 3M had a fairly large and a bit unpredictable spray area and I'm a bit afraid of spraying on too much area. Since I have a lost of smaller pieces to glue on. Plus I had some trouble telling if it was tacky enough or not. So I'm not entirely comfortable using it.

I was thinking what if I used Super glue gel like crazy glue, at least for some parts or the edges. What does anybody think?

If you go this route use loctite super glue gel...a friend of mine used it to glue his webs to his spider man costume and it works like a charm. He used it cause if its done right it doesnt seep through the fabric. I believe he said that they used the loctite stuff to fix webs during the movie filming as well

If you go this route use loctite super glue gel...a friend of mine used it to glue his webs to his spider man costume and it works like a charm. He used it cause if its done right it doesnt seep through the fabric. I believe he said that they used the loctite stuff to fix webs during the movie filming as well
My only problem there is Loctite super glue comes in pretty small amount for all the gluing I have to do. There's Loctite Contact Adhesives that comes in larger sizes, though I'm still not a fan of having to glue both sides and wait for tackiness. Plus I'm not sure if this is would good to use or not

Maybe look in to trying some Surebonder Diamond Cubes. Its like hot glue but it requires way more heat to melt it(270 -340f) . Also know as skillet or pan glue because you melt it in a pan or skillet and brush it on. A 1lb bag should run around $7.

I would do a test on a scrap piece of material first, to play it safe.
Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk

If you glue the armor while wearing the body suit use something like saran wrap or wax paper as a barrier between you and the glue. You might want to look on the brotherhood of the bat forum or league of heroes for different ideas.
Good luck

Bonded Hawk

Maybe look in to trying some Surebonder Diamond Cubes. Its like hot glue but it requires way more heat to melt it(270 -340f) . Also know as skillet or pan glue because you melt it in a pan or skillet and brush it on. A 1lb bag should run around $7.

I would do a test on a scrap piece of material first, to play it safe.
Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk
I'd rather stay away from brushing for the same reason as spraying.
If you glue the armor while wearing the body suit use something like saran wrap or wax paper as a barrier between you and the glue. You might want to look on the brotherhood of the bat forum or league of heroes for different ideas.
Good luck

Bonded Hawk
I'll keep that in mind, I do plan on wearing the suit while gluing. I have been looking through the Brotherhood's archives and I'll try League of heroes, but what usually happens is I'll learn about a half a dozen more glues which will either be out of production, only brand name and not the product name shown, or I'm not sure if it will work well with my project.

Right now my head is spinning because I definitely want this finished and I just can't seem to find the right glue.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back