Gluing ABS?

Bobster

Hi,

I am making some prop parts from ABS sheet material. There are some opportunities to use lap joints with large surface areas. It would be better if I can glue the parts to make the sub assemblies. I have previously screwed and pop riveted the ABS sheet, but that would not work out on this project very well. What are my options for gluing or solvent welding ABS sheet material?

Regards,

Bobby

<div class='quotetop'>(Bobster @ Jul 13 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]1279954[/snapback]</div>
Hi,

I am making some prop parts from ABS sheet material. There are some opportunities to use lap joints with large surface areas. It would be better if I can glue the parts to make the sub assemblies. I have previously screwed and pop riveted the ABS sheet, but that would not work out on this project very well. What are my options for gluing or solvent welding ABS sheet material?

Regards,

Bobby
[/b]

You can use ABS glue, but it takes a while to set and you'll most likely need to use clamps. Or use CA glue, (cyanoacrylate), extra thick gap filling. Which sets very quickly.

Good luck,
Saint Matticus

Use Weld-On #3. It's fast, dries in moments and can be had in quantities that will last a long time. It glues ABS, styrene and acrylic (but not PVC). You can get it at a local plastics house such as TAP Plastics.

It's thinner than water though so it can be tricky to use. Make sure you get an eyedropper suitable for use with solvents and a squeeze bottle with needle dispenser (also available from your plastic supplier).

Instructions for using Weld-On to glue acrylic can be found at my site here:

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885

Too bad most online shops won't ship out Weld-On coz I like to an good alternative to Tamiya green cap which is more expensive.

I uses acetone on RC scale boats and some ABS parts for RC planes. Cheap and fuse the ABS together fast too. Use those needle bottles tho, easier.

B

I wonder if Plumber's dope and adhesive would work.

Some drain lines and vent line plumbing are made of ABS. Schedule 40 is white PVC, which uses a different adhesive I think...but most home supply stores SHOULD have somthing that bonds the ABS stuff.

Thank you all for the ideas and links. I am going to try the Weld on and also look at Home Depot for some ABS plumbing adhesive. Devcon looks interesting as well if the others don't work out for me.

Regards,

Bobby

Weld-on #3 works really well.
They use it at the aquarium making shop I used to work at.

For something thicker mix it with some Weld-on #16.

D6

If you do find ABS glue try it out first. Certain ABS glues have a tendency to heat up and can warp the plastic. The ABS glue for the FX Trooper kit does this if i'm not completley of the bend.

And remmember.. always sand the surface you are going to glue for added grip and to remove any impurities, dirt, grease etc.

I just used some pipe dope from Home Depot (Weld-On?) and it worked great. Yeah, it does heat up so be careful. Also it's a good idea to clamp the parts.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back