Glueing things to rock?

damienjameswebb

So long story short, I make miniature dioramas where instead of people, I use rocks. Big rocks, little rocks... it all depends on the scale I feel like working in. Regardless, for some time I have just been using hot glue to attach props to the stones as well as affix them to the base of the model. What I find is that it can sometimes fall apart because the heat from the glue disputes too fast thanks to the river rock I use. This then doesn't allow the glue a good bond with the rock and ends up just falling apart. I've tried roughing the surface to get a better grip for the glue, as well as putting a small amount of paint on the surface first to see if that would help. This only really seems to wor some if the time and it's starting to **** me off.

Are there any other glues I should consider trying? SA might work but I wanted to hear some thoughts first. You can take a look here and see what I'm trying to do. Thanks!

Last edited:
2 part epoxy glues usually work for concrete and masonry....so should work OK with rocks.
Ask your local "Hardware Store" for glues specifically made for. or suitable for gluing ceramics, concrete, masonry etc.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back