Glue for EVA Foam - Australian Options?

Rinzler

Hi all, been working on foam builds and the usual "super glue" is not working when joining 2 pieces of EVA foam together. Any Australian builders here got any recommendations. I still use hot glue gun but have little kids around and can't work with it when they are around (which is often). I live in NSW (Far North Coast), so options from Bunnings, Masters etc are good start.
Thanks in advance :)

Yeah, superglue is a total non-starter for EVA.

Barge glue or barge cement is pretty popular, might also find it listed under "leather cement". I've used it and hot glue, both work the same in terms of making a strong bond with a slight advantage to barge. But barge is also superior due to no burnt fingertips... You might have to special order it online tho.

Heya, Aussie foam crafty type here. Bunnings has a lot of contact cements, I personally like parfix gel bond. Any contact adhesive should work fine but I like the gel ones as they all but eliminate drippage as a problem. The best one around used to be bostik contact bond, but I haven't seen the brand around in years - no idea what happened there but I think you might be able to nab it at clark rubber.

Plenty of options anyway :)

I am currently using KWIK GRIP Contact Adhesive - direct from Bunnings.

Probably the best glue I have used to date - used hot glue and superglue as well as a couple of other contact adhesive brands.

The Sellys stuff? i got some of that too, what do you use to apply it? im using a foam brush but im not getting good results with it, the glue works like a charm though

I am currently using KWIK GRIP Contact Adhesive - direct from Bunnings.

Probably the best glue I have used to date - used hot glue and superglue as well as a couple of other contact adhesive brands.

The Sellys stuff? i got some of that too, what do you use to apply it? im using a foam brush but im not getting good results with it, the glue works like a charm though

That's the stuff.

If you watch Evil Teds youtube channel, he uses a Contact Adhesive called Barge Cement. In one of his vids, you see he is using a glue pot with a brush built into the lid (similar to that Clag stuff we all used to eat as kids). I don't have a glue pot (which I would dearly love), but I use a soft/medium bristled brush to spread the glue on the joins. I have a small tin of the stuff at the moment, but even with the tube, you can apply it directly to the edge from the tube and then spread using the brush.

Link to section in the video here. Talks about the glue and the glue pot and the brushes.

In another video, Ted actually talks about Kwik Grip and that he has used it before (he mistakenly calls it Kiwi Grip).

Last edited:
I just use a small piece of foam to apply myself! Works great because you cut it from scraps and replace it as you need it and can cut it to any size.

I notice with the can, contact cement gets pretty thick as you make it about half way down. I started using an Elmer's Glue bottle and refilling that as needed. it keeps the glue fresh with the twisty cap and the pointed top with the small hole let's you apply it right where you need it without messiness or much waste.

To refill, I squeeze it, flip it upside down and dunk just the top into the contact cement, let it suck up into the glue bottle, then hurry and pull it out. It makes surprisingly little mess and you don't have to worry about pouring.

I notice with the can, contact cement gets pretty thick as you make it about half way down. I started using an Elmer's Glue bottle and refilling that as needed. it keeps the glue fresh with the twisty cap and the pointed top with the small hole let's you apply it right where you need it without messiness or much waste.

To refill, I squeeze it, flip it upside down and dunk just the top into the contact cement, let it suck up into the glue bottle, then hurry and pull it out. It makes surprisingly little mess and you don't have to worry about pouring.

Oh yeah, I remember that issue! The liquid cements do that a lot. they start going rubbery and nasty after a while. You can transfer it as you say, buy small tins or just use the gel cements. I find the gel one I use now just doesn't dry out that badly, and I always make sure to stand on the lid when resealing so it really gets back in there :p

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back