Glowing Sting FX Collectible Lord of the Rings Sword

Cptnchaos

20-stingfxL.jpg

Glowing Sting FX Collectible Lord of the Rings Sword

Can someone please tell me WHAT PLASTIC was used to make this prop light up like this??? I am trying to make a similar weapon glow and was hoping someone could help sehd some light (he he) on this topic for me.

Thanks.

Damian

This description was cut and pasted from the web sight, maybe this will help:

*The Sting sword blade has a brushed metal finish with a trans-reflective silver coating that looks like metal when it is not activated.

*The core of the permanently attached polycarbonate blade glows brightly when activated with the flick of a switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, it's a plastic blade that is seperated into 2 halves. The inside of those 2 halves has a semitransparent mirror coating applied to it. In the center, between the 2 halves of the blade, is a piece of light sheet, similar to the material used to illuminate watch faces. When you power the thing up, the light sheet in the center glows and shines through the mirror coating of the plastic blade. When the light is off, all you see is the "brushed" mirror coating of the blade, and it looks like it's metal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hansicle @ May 6 2006, 04:41 AM) [snapback]1239312[/snapback]</div>
Basically, it's a plastic blade that is seperated into 2 halves. The inside of those 2 halves has a semitransparent mirror coating applied to it. In the center, between the 2 halves of the blade, is a piece of light sheet, similar to the material used to illuminate watch faces. When you power the thing up, the light sheet in the center glows and shines through the mirror coating of the plastic blade. When the light is off, all you see is the "brushed" mirror coating of the blade, and it looks like it's metal.
[/b]

Hmmm sounds like it would be really hard for me to duplicate this process for a larger weapon. Thanks for the insight into the magic of props..

Thanks.

Damian

<div class='quotetop'>(builditimust @ Jul 23 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]1286192[/snapback]</div>
The question is not how is it made, the question is how do you find an ork to activate it?

BC
[/b]

There's a little switch on the side of the hilt. When you turn it on, it summons an orc from.. well, I never really thought about where the orc comes from.. too disturbing. Anyway, the orc shows up, and the blade glows. Not really sure where the orc goes, since I've never actually seen it. Then again, most of the time I have the sword out it's dark, and I wouldn't really be able to see him anyway. When you turn the switch off, it sends the orc back to the ether or wherever.

Kind of neat, really.. that MR was able to fit a generator for a trans-dimentional gateway into something so small. Or so cheap.

A little off topic.. but I bought one of those stingers about a year ago when they were selling for 20 bucks....money well spent.. its a great piece...looks, feels, and sounds awsome....

And here I was doing chats and rituals to bring me an orc when I could have just bought one of these swords and save me the headache. You know how hard it is to find a treant to sacrifice these days, humph.

<div class='quotetop'>(clownluv15 @ Jul 23 2006, 07:30 PM) [snapback]1286386[/snapback]</div>
lol,now where can i buy one of these?
[/b]

Check Ebay... you can still get 'em for $20 or so.

As cool as this thing looks, I'm still going to pass on it. I know y'all like it and I respect your interests, but I myself am a BIG sword man :D . Narsil/Anduril, Glamdring, Strider's sword, flamberges, zweihanders, Orius's swords, General Ottman's sword, William Wallace's sword (both real and movie versions), all make me drool like a starving person seeing an all-you-can-eat buffet :lol .

I bought the last 2 the the Toys-R-Us had here. I got mine for the $14.99 price after seeing a thread here quoting the said stores price. I rushed over and grabbed them.
I love the swords. They look very good sitting on the shelf behind glass and look really cool when switched on, yeah baby.. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Jedi2016 @ Jul 23 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1286252[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(builditimust @ Jul 23 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]1286192[/snapback]
The question is not how is it made, the question is how do you find an ork to activate it?

BC
[/b]

There's a little switch on the side of the hilt. When you turn it on, it summons an orc from.. well, I never really thought about where the orc comes from.. too disturbing. Anyway, the orc shows up, and the blade glows. Not really sure where the orc goes, since I've never actually seen it. Then again, most of the time I have the sword out it's dark, and I wouldn't really be able to see him anyway. When you turn the switch off, it sends the orc back to the ether or wherever.

Kind of neat, really.. that MR was able to fit a generator for a trans-dimentional gateway into something so small. Or so cheap.
[/b][/quote]

I agree, it's the simple touches like the mini trans-dimentional gateway in the sword that keeps me coming back to MR.

If you can believe it, the Toys-R-Us price actually went all the way down to $7.99 (I picked up 2 of them at that price).

<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jul 25 2006, 07:23 AM) [snapback]1287362[/snapback]</div>
If you can believe it, the Toys-R-Us price actually went all the way down to $7.99 (I picked up 2 of them at that price).
[/b]

Heck... for that price you could rip out the lightsheet and the power converter and use in some other replica or model.

:lol

<div class='quotetop'>(SurferGeek @ Jul 25 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]1287431[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Montagar @ Jul 25 2006, 07:23 AM) [snapback]1287362[/snapback]
[/b]

Heck... for that price you could rip out the lightsheet and the power converter and use in some other replica or model.

:lol
[/b][/quote]
When I saw that the price had dropped that low my first thought was... what was the per piece price that MR sold them to TRU for? When MR said that they had cleared out their inventory on this item, they were not kidding. :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back