Glowforge Anybody ?

mercuryapollo

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After two long years I received my Glowforge about two weeks ago. There is a bit of a learning curve, but after reading through the forums I am getting the basics of using the machine. I have no doubt that it will be a huge help in making props. I already have a few projects in the works. I have been a maker and wood worker for over 20 years. But the precision and repeatablity this machine allows is hard to beat. Anyone else have a Glowforge or similar laser cutter?

I have a laser cutter..

I use it for hobby stuff and other ideas I can think of.

Glad you finally got your machine. (I wouldnt have been so patient.. especially with all the horror stories too)

I still am skeptical/question the machine and some of their choices (filter system..etc)

and I'm not sure how much use the camera feature will be in the end.. (more for beginners or people who dont have any design software to create something in?)

Do you have any results from the machine yet?

I did not get the filter. Just vent out the window. I agree that the camera is useful for beginners or to do a quick test cut. Not sure how othe laser cutters work. But I find the camera very useful to position the raw material and maximize it on multiple cuts.

The promos for Glowforge all looked amazing--almost too good to be true, for the price point. Would you say that it's a quality piece of hardware? Feels durable/well-built? Cuts are turning out as high-res as promised?

It definitely feels durable and well built. It is quite a piece of hardware. Size is about 40 by 22 and it weights over 60 lbs. I am amazed at the precision. I will post some pix when i get home. I engraved some 12 pt type in acrylic and it looks great.

I'm typically a very patient person. I've been really disappointed with the delays. I hope it is well worth the wait.
They say my unit will ship December 11th...
...they say

Here is the first thing i made on the Glowforge. Engraved and cut on 1/8 inch acrylic.
IMG_0050.JPG

I got an email from them saying they had no idea when mine would ship so I asked for a refund.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back