Glitter Rock Fantasy Costume

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by MaulWalker, Jan 17, 2012.

1. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

I am working on a fantasy costume inspired by early 1970s glitter/glam rockers. I decided a need a wild pair of glasses - inspired by one of the glitter rockers of the time.

The first challenge was to find the appropriate frames - which turned out to be harder than I thought. I finally found what I wanted.

View attachment 81520

Then to embellish them. Aluminum wire was too soft, so I tried memory wire. This is wire that is treated to retain a round shape. It comes in toe ring, finger ring, bracelet, and necklace size. I used necklace size that is silver plated. Memory wire is not sold by gauge and one piece was not wide enough, so I twisted two pieces together.

I used aurora borealis crystal beads. Whatever creates the aurora borealis effect must be iron based, because water-based Gem-Tac glue caused light rusting inside the bead. So I used E-6000 to hold the beads in place. The same glue is used to hold the wires in the frame.

View attachment 81519

I might add another circle of wire and more beads, but I need to find the memory wire in extra large necklace size.

Lynn

2. iycis

iycis Sr Member

I'm always impressed by your projects. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ps- Velvet Goldmine has fantastic glam costumes if you haven't seen it.

3. MaulWalker

MaulWalker Sr Member

I was not aware of Velvet Goldmine. But I see that the movie's central character is based on Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.

My costume will contain elements of Ziggy, Elton John, and a little Gary Glitter. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Lynn