GLADIATOR

I'd say that it's a pretty good likeness (it's a damn site better than anything I could do), not seeing Lee Majors at all. :) Do you have other Gladiator props you'll be showing this off with? (helmet, gladius, etc) I can't wait to see your new and improved sculpt. Keep up the good work.

Sh.t I thought it was Kirk Douglas...

(Get it -- gladiator movies... Ah never mind.)

Seriously, I have a foot in both camps.

Folks on this board should not be concerned with or afraid of voicing their honest opinions. It's nice to have some balance to the compliments.

On the other hand, tact and constructive critiscm will go much farther than crass or half-baked remarks...

Oh, and H, I think this IS actually one of your better likenesses. I think you captured him well, especially in the mouth. I'd love to see a paint-up with the Factory X helmet plopped on top.

umm

howard all your stuff is the shiz bro.

and to "the batman" how is what you said any better...

but yeah though, show some respect racerX, if you see someones work that you dont like you dont have to bash it... you dont have to say anything.

remember kids opinions are like buttholes...

everyone has one, and most of them stink.

howard is honestly one of the best sculptors ive ever seen, aside from him and wampa, that new guy (sorry bro cant remember) that did the alec guinness bust is the only guy who can compare.

plus he said it was an old sculpt, not for that movie, and he slapped some hair on him...

could ANYONE here do any better? :unsure

racerX, click howard (chewie15's) link.

that should shut you up. :thumbsup

and howard if you stop posting new threads for your stuff id still like a PM or a link...

and when you gonna do that ANH luke??? :love

I like it, but all my stuff is crap so you shouldn't listen to me.

The expression is so Capt. Jack Aubrey I have a hard time seeing him as Maximus. I don't know if its your great sculpting skill when you did the Maximus sculpt (dead on, by the way) or Russell Crow's ability to define two distinct characters with distinct expressions. Maybe both.

Either way we all know youÂ’re probably the best portrait sculptor on the RPF. A lot of people here, including myself, bow to your skills and kiss your tail because of it. YouÂ’re the man, we all know it which is why someone in this thread has already slammed someone else for daring to critique you. At the end of the day you should know everything you touch here turns to gold.
If you did an empty post titled My new Bust and then only posted a Gotcha. as the first post you'd probably have 100 post of "Oh, you got me." in an hour. Maybe you should let this one critique go. I think itÂ’s the first time anyone has ever said anything remotely negative about anything youÂ’ve ever done here.

IÂ’d buy this by the way. I think its very cool.

Originally posted by oldken@Mar 16 2006, 01:42 AM
umm

howard all your stuff is the shiz bro.

and to "the batman" how is what you said any better...

but yeah though, show some respect racerX, if you see someones work that you dont like you dont have to bash it... you dont have to say anything.

remember kids opinions are like buttholes...

everyone has one, and most of them stink.

howard is honestly one of the best sculptors ive ever seen, aside from him and wampa, that new guy (sorry bro cant remember)  that did the alec guinness bust is the only guy who can compare.

plus he said it was an old sculpt, not for that movie, and he slapped some hair on him...

could ANYONE here do any better?    :unsure

racerX, click howard (chewie15's) link.

that should shut you up.   :thumbsup

and howard if you stop posting new threads for your stuff id still like a PM or a link...

and when you gonna do that ANH luke???    :love
[snapback]1206660[/snapback]​

First of all, I'm entitled to give my opinion, good or bad, as much as I want, and as much as YOU can give your "good" opinion. I didn't offend the sculptor, I simply stated that to me it didn't (and still don't) look like Crowe. Glad that some folks here noticed that.
Yes, I checked his link and know his work. He have some nice work done, but this one, to ME, is not one of them. In my job, I see 100s of sculpts, maquettes, props, etc., everyday.
So yes, I'm VERY used to see great sculpts in front of me.
First thing you learn in this business is to know how to take criticism, good and bad. No one is above criticism. If YOU think it's a great sculpt and great likeness, then good for you.

Thanks for the compliments guys..

Really not worth fighting over anymore... like I said, I did this with crude clay over 2 years ago... kind of a fun piece to show off, that's all?

RacerX... you really have not contributed much around here except fighting... I checked out your 7 posts and they all have to do with politics. And believe me brother I've seen FX stuff firsthand and worked with some pretty damn talented guys too. I just think... when I glance at stuff on forums I see a whole lot of stuff I really have no desire in or I think looks 'off' but I just let it go... because I think it might hurt someone's feelings that really worked hard and many hours on something to just flat out say... 'that looks like B when you were trying to sculpt Z'. Get it man? I just don't see any reason to trash work when you yourself has nothing to show Pal? But like I said, everything you've posted on is politics? Funny... it's all about art man take it easy, I'd hate to see you at an abstract art showing :)

H

Originally posted by Chewie15@Mar 16 2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys..

Really not worth fighting over anymore... like I said, I did this with crude clay over 2 years ago... kind of a fun piece to show off, that's all?

RacerX... you really have not contributed much around here except fighting... I checked out your 7 posts and they all have to do with politics.  And believe me brother I've seen FX stuff firsthand and worked with some pretty damn talented guys too.  I just think... when I glance at stuff on forums I see a whole lot of stuff I really have no desire in or I think looks 'off' but I just let it go... because I think it might hurt someone's feelings that really worked hard and many hours on something to just flat out say... 'that looks like B when you were trying to sculpt Z'.  Get it man?  I just don't see any reason to trash work when you yourself has nothing to show Pal?  But like I said, everything you've posted on is politics?  Funny... it's all about art man take it easy, I'd hate to see you at an abstract art showing :)

H
[snapback]1206734[/snapback]​

Fighting? Who am I fighting? Again, if stating my honest opinion about your sculpture it's a fight for you, then that's your problem. And if you can't take criticism, then stop showing your work. Is not everyone that will agree with you or think that everything you do is good. It's called opinion. And let's not start talking about art and etiquette here, OK? If you really want to go _there_, I can tell you about MANY things I don't think it's art or good conduct in this business.
And don't ask me to show my work, I ain't a sculptor. I have some that works for me, though.
Again, you are making a big deal of something only cause I didn't say what you wanted to hear. Learn to take criticism and accept other people opinions, please.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back