GLADIATOR SCULPT: Update 2/15

Tim Allen

Sr Member
Just started this today, put in about an hour but I have a lack of ref shots. Was wondering if any one knew if there was any Pub. or post per. shots of this helmet. All my ref photos are screen shots so its difficult to judge the angles of this as every one knows angles are deceiving. lol.

This is just a crude sculpt and the eyes and nose are no where near finished. Im planning on sculpting it in sections, face, dome, brow, and then finish w/ the moe hawk piece. Again any photos you have of this helmet will be greatly appriciated....

1721183048.jpg

1721175623.jpg

1721171880.jpg

1721143166.jpg

Lil update, Started the mandables tonight, need to reshape them but im happy w/ the base of it so far. The shape is all incorrect but im just trying to get a base sculpt down so i can rework the form of it in wax when the time comes.

(The hole in the top of the head is from the stand, i pushed down to hard on the clay and it poked right through the top, but no worries im not planning on using the top of that sculpt for the brow.)

1820411316.jpg

1820424968.jpg

Here's a shot showing what I think must be the same helmet advertised in the link above (display stand looks the same), but from different angles. This one, too, is being sold as a licensed, exact reproduction of the helmet used in the film.

[attachmentid=6115]

{EDIT} Image removed to free up global space.

Originally posted by temponaut@Jan 21 2006, 12:27 AM
Here's a shot showing what I think must be the same helmet advertised in the link above (display stand looks the same), but from different angles.  This one, too, is being sold as a licensed, exact reproduction of the helmet used in the film.

[attachmentid=6115]
[snapback]1164385[/snapback]​

I saw a bunch of these on ebay. Never really wanted to buy one because ive seen some pictures w/ people wearing them and they looked over-sized. Im doing this sculpt specifically to fit my head. Im doing a life casting of my head on tues and then starting the dome hopefully sometime after.

Originally posted by Tim Allen@Jan 21 2006, 06:54 PM
I saw a bunch of these on ebay. Never really wanted to buy one because ive seen some pictures w/ people wearing them and they looked over-sized.
There are those who say that Russell Crowe has always had something of a big head... ;)

A helmet custom-fit to your own head will be awesome. You're off to a good start on the sculpt. I hope some other members will post better reference pictures for you than the ones I came up with. :)

Originally posted by Tim Allen@Jan 20 2006, 02:52 AM
1820424968.jpg

[snapback]1163354[/snapback]​

In the alternative ending to Gladiator, Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) pulls a Glock 9mm on Maximus and shoots him in the head. :p

Very nice work BTW... I love all the Gladiator shields 'n' helmets :)

Cheers,
John

The Factory X helmet is not oversized. I have one and it won't fit on my head. It won't even fit on my 12 year old Sons head.

Keith.

Originally posted by Keith@Jan 21 2006, 06:07 AM
The Factory X helmet is not oversized. I have one and it won't fit on my head. It won't even fit on my 12 year old Sons head.

Keith.
[snapback]1164456[/snapback]​

Hmm maybe it wasnt the factory X ones that I saw. Just remember seeing a few auctions w/ the same helmet pictures and they looked huge on the person that was wearing them.

Well i finally finish the latex mold and poured the wax today. Have alot of clean up work to do on it but its coming together nicely and im happy to say that it fits my face, which i was pretty worried about.

4421032773.jpg

4421040053.jpg

4421041828.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back