Gladiator - Maximus body armor / full costume WIP

ob1al

Sr Member
I've been working on a replica Maximus shoulder armour piece from Gladiator:

gladiatorfront8is.jpg

I made the base shape from cardstock, then fiberglass, body filler and epoxy putty (milliput):

img0448z.jpg

Once the basic form was there, I went back and correct any glaring errors, sanded, then hit the whole thing with hi-build primer and a couple of coats of matt black auto paint.

Here's my current progress:

img0457l.jpg

The shoulder armour really only needs the edge trim added, the leather strapping and silver detailing painted, then it will be finished.

I'm also planning to make the chest armour piece using a similar method, but with a real leather covering, as a joint project with another member here.:thumbsup

I'll try and post some more photos as I/we progress.

Al

Last edited:
Re: Gladiator Maximus shoulder armour, WIP

dammit Al - now I really have to do some work rofl!

very nice progress there mate

I will be working with clay - original protoypes just to see if it was possible were shared with Al. But have since been destroyed by my 3 yr old daughter. she wanted to make a horse.....heh!!

some rough pics - yes I know they were in accurate, but trying to get a feel for scale,

IMG_20110226_171522.jpg

prior to experiecning the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL .... erm 3 yr old!

160420101924.jpg

never mind .....
(Al - you were correct abt all the things you pointed out yesterday mate)

Last edited:

Well she has the right idea - we do need horses!:lol

Looking forward to working with you on this project mate.:thumbsup

Here it is with a little silver rubbed over the raised detail:

img0460x.jpg

I'll touch up the silver with a fine brush later.

Last edited:

looking good Al, are you going to put a beading around the edge of the shoulder armour ?

Loving this Al

What Primer did you use, since you are from the uk? :p

Cannot wait to see the full finalised.

Halford's is a car parts, paints etc. place here in the UK, they produce their own brand of paints.

Chris, that was just a superquick job to see how the raised details looked silver. I basically just dipped my finger into some silver paint and rubbed it on the raised detail, then touched up a few areas with a brush and sprayed a mist of matt black over the top from a distance to make it appear weathered.

I'll be redoing it once all the other elements are complete. The trim has had 24 hours to dry (primed it last night too) so I'll be working on that later, now I'm back home from work! :)

My Gladiator sword arrived whilst I was out, very pleased with it, so the costume is coming together bit by bit!

Re: Gladiator Maximus shoulder armour/ full costume WIP

After reading through your Threads on the gladiator costume helmet, shoulder armour etc.. you've inspired me to get/make a Maximus costume. Ill PM you if thats ok about details on the rest of your costume?
Chris

I'm a community minded chap, always happy to help!

Some parts are still a WIP of course, but we are trying to make/buy/assemble the whole ensemble at a decent price, decent quality...and I'm happy to share resources.

So far...

Helmet:

Sword:

img0462is.jpg

Then there's the shoulder armour (as above) and the chest armour in conjunction with Nate.

The blue tunic will be easy peasy to replicate, but then there's the chain mail to think about and the boots...

Last edited:

You added more spikes to the helmet didnt you? But it does look a stunning piece now! did you use the same weathering effect on that silver then mist of matt black over the top from a distance to make it appear weathered..

Just two extra spikes needed at the temples, I'm sending you those too.

No, the helmet weathering was a bit more time intensive, I used silver, then black dabbed on with a sponge/cloth, then more tweaking and messing about over several hours until I was happy. The distance spray techinique didn't work on the helmet as it looked too obvious on the steel.

oh Al your a star!
I take it after the black dabbed on your distance sprayed silver on it? or dabbed silver on?

oh Al your a star!
I take it after the black dabbed on your distance sprayed silver on it? or dabbed silver on?

Chris, over the course of several glasses of vino I sprayed a thin mist of enamel silver, let it dry, then watered down some acrylic black and gently dabbed that on with a cloth, then went back and carefully touched up with more sprayed silver, then added more sponged black...until I was reasonably happy with how it all worked asthetically.

Fantastic work indeed! I am going to be watching this build closely!

Fantastic work indeed! I am going to be watching this build closely!

Thanks Hogosha. To be honest, there are still a few things I'd like to change and may well still do so, but that's the perfectionist in me rearing it's obsessive head. There's always something to tweak, isn't there?

Overall, I'm pleased with progress and glad to be working with Nate, so I think we will manage to reach our goal of making the complete outfit with minimum expense and hopefully maximu(s)m effect! lol.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back