Gladiator armor comission

Thanks Gator!

The method used here was the no wax method. It was boiled in water, and then shaped in a custom made form, made from concrete. I finally chose to not wax it because of the "waxy finish" you speak of. The film armor was made of a Vacu-formed plastic, and then covered with dry leather, so achieving that look was paramount to me.

I have made very high quality arms and armor for the SCA and similar groups for around 25 years, so trust me when I say that this method is a proven and historically accurate way to make these things. The wax method especially is a long lasting and moisture resistant way to do it.

The car-door trim was purchased online, and is a flexible vinyl, that comes in chrome, as well as black.

Spelling, however is not my strong suit.....;-)

Hi gator , yes I had no idea how to spell it! Sorry about that.
Also Tim did go on later in the thread to state that the wax method was not used and early on he did ask me the type of finish I wanted.
Glad to see there are people out here that understan d what apelord is on about as I had nofreakin clue! Just wanted it to look good but the process was a bonus
Mars

Well Folks!
Received my armor , and just now I am posting some pics!
Fitment is awesome , will get a pic of that also!
It is hard to get the right light into this armor as It is much better in person, so here is an inside and outside shot

Although Tim has done an unbelievable weathering on the pewter, I did weather the armor a little more. Tim did say he did not want to go any further , and he was right as I may wanted a bit cleaner, but looking at this thing , there is nothing you can do to it that will make it look NOT better!
Still trying to find a nice torso and position to display with helmet and sword! last pic one side of the shelf next to my other beauties, will soon redo another part of the house to display, will post pics soon!

Thank you Tim for an awesome experience an awesome product!!
Wish all deals went through as professional as this one.

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0689-2.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

I'm just glad it fits brother, and that it arrived safely! LOL...

I had a lot of fun working on this, thank you for the opportunity to do so, Mars.

So kids...what should I make next? ;-)

Outstanding work Mr. Apelord and you have a fine collection of unique movie armour there marsattack.
I checked your flickr page and that Sword of Omens is exceptional. I really need to add something like that to my collection one day.

Thanks guys! I've posted an interest thread in the junkyard if folks would like to own one for themselves.

I am also taking new commissions for one of a kind pieces, or small runs of things. PM me if you have something in mind.

I am in the process of building a fairly large Vacu-formig table and will be producing less expensive items and armor in plastic very soon. If you guys would like to see something that has not been offered or made before, I want to know!

Here's a short list, in order of precedence, of things I'm crafting as we speak.

1. The Metropolis robot, "False Maria". (fiberglass and plastic, 40% complete)
2. An all aluminum TOS Cylon, with copies made in plastic. (25% complete helmet so far)
3. All aluminum "Jango/Boba" rig, Stainless steel helmet and plastic Jetpack. (50% complete)

Thank you people, it actually does look screen used, or rather USED!
I am dusting it a lot with mig products and using light sandpaper on areas of wear.
Again it is awesome!
thanks again
Mars

Thank you people, it actually does look screen used, or rather USED!
I am dusting it a lot with mig products and using light sandpaper on areas of wear.
Again it is awesome!
thanks again
Mars

That's great. I really appreciate you working so hard to make my new armor look so great. Make sure to package it real nice and safe when you send it to me. This gift is really appreciated. :lol:lol

lol Jameth but i am afraid my daughter has made me put it in my Will!!!
I have also seen your collection and let me tell you that you could get one of these the very next day if you wanted to!
Wheres your Glad display?
Mars

lol Jameth but i am afraid my daughter has made me put it in my Will!!!
I have also seen your collection and let me tell you that you could get one of these the very next day if you wanted to!
Wheres your Glad display?
Mars

Working on it. I have a deal with my wife and if I can lose enough weight and get back in shape to look good in the armor I can get it for next Halloween. Got to lose a lot and start working out again.

So hopefully I will have a full Maximus mannequin by October 31st. I already have a Factory X helmet I'm working to modify.

I hope Apelord can make me some armor about September next year.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back