Gizmo Corvette from Gremlims

pilonieta

I always wanted to have a Gizmo Corvette replica of the movie Gremlins but researching I couldn't find more than one picture of the real prop. So I decided to create my own. I apologize for my writing in English is not great I hope to be able to explain my self. I'm smarter in Spanish.
11356642_495691867263390_762188684_n.jpg

Only Known "to me" picture of the prop used in Gremlins

Last edited:
I started gathering all the elements need it to make my own prop. I need it a Barbie Corvette, a Gizmo of any kind, Wheels and luggage. By luck Trick or Treat release a Gismo Gremlin at a really affordable price and by the pictures, it looked really good so I got one big surprise when arrived.
30bf3b1e-0959-4d2f-b32e-d7c3760d4db2.jpg

I also bought on eBay a yellow 1978 Barbie Corvette. When I bought the Barbie yellow Corvette my train of thought was I will paint the car pink and 3d model and print the rack for the luggage. once the piece arrived I realized it will be a lot of work and I won't get what I was expecting so I continue my search for another Barbie Corvette.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I was still looking for the exact match for the pink corvette but there was none on eBay so I bought a similar pink Barbie Corvette but when arrived I notice clearly it was a much darker pink and the accents were almost brown. At least it had the right luggage rack.
s-l1600 (10).jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure how I figure out the wheels and tires but I did. Chris Walas only used the body of the 1979 Barbie Dreamvette. For the remote control undercarriage, they used a modified 1/10 Tamiya Subaru Brat. These go for a pretty penny these days so I wasn't going to pay for one of this I need it another solution. I found they still selling new Tamiya Brat tires and wheels not to bad in price so I got a set of these. I also for coincidence found the exact Barbie Dreamvette on eBay and I bought it.
Tamiya 1/10 RC No.384 Subaru Brat 58384 | eBay
s-l500.jpg

The Tamiya 1/10 Brat tires and wheels
tires.png

wheels.jpg

Last edited:
Time for me to start dissecting Gizmo.
I cut gizmo bottom part to make fit in the Barbie car.
IMG_6040.JPG

Also, cut out his eyes
IMG_6049.JPG

I also got a Donor Cheap Rc car that I bought from eBay
rc car.jpg

I remove all the top of the RC and left only the base of the car
IMG_6057.JPG

Using lighter fluid I started removing all the stickers from the Barbie car trying my best not to destroy these 40-year-old pieces of paper.
I figure out how to remove stickers without damaging thanks to this Toypolloi video
IMG_6161.JPG

Manage to reconstruct most of the stickers in two pieces of paper
IMG_6166.JPG

Scanned the images and start digitizing
IMG_6416.JPG

Some dry fitting test with the new 3d model steering weel you can also see how yellow and dirty the car was. The first one was too big I reduce the size to 80% and now is perfect.
IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6192.JPG

I cleaned the whole body with goo-gone and washed with dish soap. The yellowish tone is given by the years of play and abandon where really obvious. Time to figure out how to fix this problem, I found in youtube a video on how to de-yellow plastics.
I made a tub of mixed water and a whole bottle of hydrogen peroxide and submerged the body. put the uv light and left it there overnight. when I took the car out the next day I didn't notice a big difference now looking at the pictures it did help. "I think my uv light wasn't the right one".
IMG_6404.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like you found a workaround for the R/C car.
I used to be into those and that Tamiya Subaru under chassis was
used a number of times for different Tamiya kits.

There was a recent re-issue of the 1/10 Tamiya "Frog" which used the same chassis and suspension.
They're around $ 275.

I only know this because my neighbor across the street had one.

Looks like you found a workaround for the R/C car.
I used to be into those and that Tamiya Subaru under chassis was
used a number of times for different Tamiya kits.

There was a recent re-issue of the 1/10 Tamiya "Frog" which used the same chassis and suspension.
They're around $ 275.

I only know this because my neighbor across the street had one.

Thanks still too expensive for me. I already modify the body and the cheap chassis for what I want. I will post more pictures later.
Great start! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

I'm almost done I will post more pictures later.

Creating the eyes. I found the eyes were some type of acrylic spheres with paint on top. I decided to go a different route.
Following this tutorial I made my own eyes.
IMG_6955.JPG

Test of different size eyes
IMG_6123.JPG

The result not too bad
IMG_6960.JPG

I print out the Corvette graphics in sticker paper and cut them in a cameo machine
IMG_6954.JPG

Last edited:
The wheels on the Rc Chasis were replaced with the Tamiya Brad I also added with Milliput a guide to keep the body from moving. Not the nicest but it does the work.
IMG_6958.JPG

I created an internal armature using 12 Gauge wire to be able to have control of the arms and head. Not aesthetic but it does the work
IMG_6962.JPG

Also with the left fur from the bottom of Gizmo I create templates of the of the forearms and extended to make it look more like in the movie.
IMG_6961.JPG

All is coming around. Testing position of Gizmo in the car
IMG_6914.JPG

Cut wheel arches, clean the interior of the car body and stickers applied. Also, cut the end of the Barbie car chassis and screw back to the body. also added some guides in Milliput to keep the carbody from moving.
IMG_6959.JPG

Added stickers.
IMG_6967.JPG

I started playing with the position of the luggage. I still have to change the color of the pink suitcase.
IMG_E6943.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6960.JPG
    IMG_6960.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 357
  • IMG_6967.JPG
    IMG_6967.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 351
Last edited:
super cool to see this coming together!

thanks for adding the videos you found as well! learning new tricks is always a good thing! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back