Giving Enterprise a second chance

I'm almost done with Voyager, which I've been plugging through since it was released on Netflix. I'd never really given it much thought before, but once I got into it I was hooked. Enterprise will probably be my next go around.

I really liked Enterprise but never got to see the last season, but since Darth Gordon spoiled it for me I think I don´t have to catch up...

I hate you Darth Gordon, I HATE you...

Nah, not really, nothing a little spoiler tag can´t fix. And thanks to my excellent memory I´ll forget that information pretty quickly anyway.

Now, I really liked Enterprise except for the production design which I found to be not "retrofitted" enough to work with the TOS designs. A tad bit less tech-y look and voila... but hey, small gripes ;)

And yes, I do wonder what would have happened if BnB could have kept their fingers out of the ending...

I really enjoyed Enterprise, mostly because I was a big Quantum Leap fan so getting to see Scott in a lead role of another Sci-fi show was great.

and well...Jolene Blalock wasn't bad on the eyes either (at least in later seasons).

TNG is/was my Star Trek 'home' though.

I am a fan too. The Borg episode was great, the start in the Arctic to me had a nice "The Thing" feel to it.

TOS ships wussy? Dude the TOS Constitution class ships were top of the line, and were so badass the Klingons called them Federation Battle Cruisers, and didn't want to go one on one with them.

Totally agree about that final episode. Frakes looks like he was the chef too long, and ate the galley, then wants a nap. The actors should have held a revolt, Jolene loathes that episode.

I really liked Enterprise but never got to see the last season, but since Darth Gordon spoiled it for me I think I don´t have to catch up...

I hate you Darth Gordon, I HATE you...

:unsure Sorry. I'd considered a spoiler tag, but figured the episode was over six years old now. It's been discussed in several areas of the internet.

I actually liked the last episode a lot because it was a return to TNG - but that being said, I didn't like that it stole the thunder for the Enterprise crew on their last show.

Enterprise was the weakest ST series IMO. The only good main character was Trip; he actually had a personality!! The rest were ho-hum. The Andorian episodes were really excellent! And I like Archer’s dog. But the Suliban and the Xindi were just ANNOYING! With a few sporadic episodes that were really good, the rest were too dreary and altruistic. They were just getting into their stride though when they canceled it.

Voyager is still my favorite series… I loved all the characters, I loved the ship, and I loved the idea of two enemies teaming together to survive being stranded out in the Delta quadrant. Seven of Nine really breathed more life into the last four years, and for some reason, I never get sick of watching episodes of Voyager.

It also didn't have a good guy for the audience to root for. Everyone was a Mirror Universe homicidal a-hole.

That's why the original works so well--good people pretending to be bad until they can get out of there...

For me that was a refreshing change of pace. "Mirror Darkly" is the first and only episode to break the tradition of the "good guy in the bad universe." It takes place completely in the Mirror universe (Mirrorverse? :lol) right down the redone opening credits (which were awesome!).

Bakula definitely overacted, but frankly Shatner's "Mirror Kirk" (that Spock throws in the brig along with evil McCoy, Scotty and Uhura) was pretty over the top as well. Perhaps that is what Bakula was shooting for? I dunno. :confused

What I'd like to know is how this links up with TOS' "Mirror, Mirror." In DS9's "Crossover" it is mentioned how the events of "Mirror, Mirror" affected the Terran Empire (Spock pushed for peace... and the Empire was easily overthrown by a Klingon/Cardassian alliance).

So did Hoshi manage to take over the Empire? What about the technology of the Defiant? Did it push the Empire forward or was it lost before it could make a difference?

Anyway because of "Mirror Darkly" it's nice to know my DST phaser is now a screen accurate replica. ;) :lol

Kevin

So did Hoshi manage to take over the Empire? What about the technology of the Defiant? Did it push the Empire forward or was it lost before it could make a difference?

The Enterprise Mirror Universe episodes took place before the Mirror Universe episodes of the original Star Trek. As far as I know, from what I read in the Mirror Universe story collection, the story Age of the Empress, Hoshi did, indeed take over the Empire (picking up right where the last episode left off), had a coup against her by the Andorians (whom she personally invited), only to use the Rebels that had been formed by T'Pol after she managed to escape from capture to regain her throne and the story ending as Phlox works on resurrecting a dead Captain Archer through abnormal medical technology. Some may not consider the story as canon, however the story itself was based on a treatment that was meant to be another Mirror Universe episode for the show had it continued on. But I also heard there was another story that was written that takes place after the Age of the Empress story that continues on after that (I can't say for certain if its true or not, nor can I say I've read that one). And Empress Sato, from what I've also read somewhere online, her version of the Empire after the story (in which due to T'Pol's actions in helping getting Sato back on the throne, allowed for the Vulcans and the Terran Empire to be equals instead of the Vulcans being repressed as it was in the episodes) lead up to the eventual turn around cause by Mirror Spock in the "Mirror, Mirror" episode 122 years later and its eventual fall.

As for the Defiant, I think all it did was give the Empire a bit of a push for advance technology at the start, but had ended up being as advanced as it could be much earlier than Starfleet had in the normal universe. So, I'm guessing that the Terran Empire had ships like the Defiant for years (which, lets face it, it would have taken some time to reverse engineer everything on board the ship, as well as finding the necessary materials and resources to construct them) and then, the Terran Empire and Starfleet eventually met at a point where both their technologies were the same (with the exception of torture devices, obviously), which accounts for why the Mirror Enterprise was only slightly different from the Enterprise of the regular universe.

That or somehow, the 29th Century and their time traveling ships of the Mirror Universe recognized that the Defiant was there when it shouldn't have been, gone back and destroyed it. I'm joking of course, honestly, I believe more in what I said above than this idea of the time traveling 29th Century people.

Last edited:
ENT would TOUCH on cool stuff, and then back away.

to me the first season should have been pretty much as-is.... getting their footing etc, but then it should have almost immediatly gotten into the foundation of the United Federations of Planets! That should have been the sole focus of the show..... sure, drag it out, but make it about EXPLORING and SEEKING OUT NEW life etc..... not just having the "Vulcan Database" that gives you all the answers....

Voyager is still my favorite series… I loved all the characters, I loved the ship, and I loved the idea of two enemies teaming together to survive being stranded out in the Delta quadrant. Seven of Nine really breathed more life into the last four years, and for some reason, I never get sick of watching episodes of Voyager.

I'm trying REALLY hard to figure out if this is satire.

You know I had this idea for an episode called " A Dog Day Afternoon". It starts with a black screen, you hear muffled excited voices, then you hear the sound of a weapon impact on the hull, and a crash. All of the sudden The POV is that a wall mirror has fallen and broken, in the 1/2 of the mirror left in the frame, you see Porthos looking at himself. There's more excited voices and the POV Shifts to the door, then back to the mirror. You get (in an homage to Quantum Leap) that you are Porthos. Then there's another Weapons impact, and the POV shakes as the ship shakes. Again a look to the door which pops open. Your POV now is that Porthos gets up, and heads out the open cabin door. The whole episode is of an alien attack, from Portho's POV, and overheard Dialogue, or Dialogue between characters with Porthos clearly in the background, but they don't notice him due to events. I even had the idea of him saving the day by jumping and chomping on a bad guys arm just as he's about to shoot Archer. Decent Idea I think, alas I'm not that good of a writer to pull the whole thing off.

I HATED Voyager when I first saw it, didn't even make it past the first season. But when we decided to rematch Trek from start to finish we gave it a chance and ended up really enjoying it. It had a lot of excellent episodes and did harken back to TOS with how they explored not just the actions of the crew but also the planets, aliens and more.

Enterprise I loved in the first season, though some of the non-continuity with TOS was a bit irking, I felt it was a good precursor to TOS (April, Pike, Kirk). But the Xindi episodes I felt tried way, way too hard to be what Trek was not. I felt the stretched the characters too far off their mark, especially Archer. But once that was over it REALLY found it's strength. That last season was outstanding.

And I agree, had the finale been a regular episode stuck in somewhere it would have worked well, but as the finale it was a bitter pill to swallow as a Trek fan of either TNG or Enterprise.

You know, with the Xindi Storyline, they could have retrofitted the Enterprise to TOS type Equipment, explaining that that equipment functioned better in The Rift, whereas the out of place stuff would burn out fast. One of many missed opportunities.

You know I had this idea for an episode called " A Dog Day Afternoon" *snip* The whole episode is of an alien attack, from Portho's POV *snip* I even had the idea of him saving the day by jumping and chomping on a bad guys arm just as he's about to shoot Archer *snip* I'm not that good of a writer to pull the whole thing off.

Some one PLEASE re-edit this as an episode, or Fanfilm it immediately!
I SAW this just as you described, 0neiros! GREATIDEA

got to the first episode of Season 3 this weekend.

Just as the theme music was actually starting to grow on me.... wow... that remix is just awful....

"To boldly go.....as far as we reasonably can each week while tied to a space station."

Sisko and crew journeyed to the Beta Quadrant. That's further than Kirk ever went. And even while on a space station, there is still much to explore from the many species that inhabit the station. The Bajorans, the Cardassians, the changelings, the Ferengi, the El-Aurians, and even hints of the Tholians! I like DS9 for answering the question that is never asked when audiences listen to that prologue "Where no one has gone before". Once you get there, what than? Deep Space Nine is a good answer to that question. If we are to occupy space with other species, what will our roles be? What will their roles be? How will we resolve problems that affect them but not us? Well, if your Captain Archer, you go "We didn't come here to play God" and simply walk away.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back