Giving Enterprise a second chance

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by tgreco, Feb 6, 2012.

1. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

so I've rewatched all of TNG and DS9... I gave up on Star Trek during the run of Voyager... I'm sorry, but I hated everything about it.

I just always felt Voyager was slapped together, and underwritten. It was just... so generic. And because of that I kind of ignored Enterprise.

And here I am, watching season 1, and I'm really really enjoying it.

anyone else finding Enterprise better than they expected?

2. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Yes, I quit on every show except TNG, but came back to enjoy them all.

3. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

I gave up on Enterprise sometime in the middle of season 2. I came back to it at the end because some episodes looked interesting to me in the previews. I was surprised at how much better it had gotten. According to a lot of people behind the scenes, things started to turn around when they brought on Manny Cotto as a producer. Unfortunately, by the time the show had gotten better, no one was watching.

So I revisited it in syndication and when viewed in conjunction with those last two seasons... knowing where it's going... it's a lot better.

But then again, I also I enjoyed Voyager. My main complaint with Voyager was... in my opinion, Berman was a little perturbed with how far DS9 had strayed from Roddenberry's original ideas for the TNG era (even though I loved DS9). So since Voyager was more his baby, I think he tried to reel it back into Roddenberry's Box. In doing so they became a bit too timid with the characters; creating a lack of drama and character development.

When going to Enterprise they were able to change things up a bit because these are pre-Kirk era Starfleet. They could stumble and had to find their footing in earlier interstellar travel. So it shakes things up a bit.

...wasn't too thrilled with dropping "Star Trek" in the first two seasons or the theme song... or the illegal Vulcan mindmelds... but I think there was some good there too.

4. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I think they got a little heavy handed in linking episodes to other Trek.

5. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I liked Enterprise a lot, granted there were a few bad episodes but the same can be said of any Trek, I loved the Andorians and the way they were intergrated into the story arc, whilst I enjoyed the borg episode 'Regeneration' I felt it had been a little bit 'shoe horned' in to please the masses, also I think the ship design could have been a little more in keeping with the TOS enterprise, nevertheless I found it enjoyable, certainly more so than most of Voyager, which I felt just went on and on, and on

6. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My advice would be to completely NOT watch the last episode of Enterprise. The fourth season is actually really strong, as Coto was at the helm, instead of Berman/Braga. However, B&B stepped in for the last episode and pretty much undid everything that coto managed to do with the prior episodes. It might be one of the biggest let downs of a last episode ever. Though the last episode of Voyager was pretty darn awful.

Just unplug your dvd player after the peter weller episodes (which are GREAT, by the way!!) and call it a night.

7. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

See, I didn't see TATV as being horrible as an episode
    (aside from the killing of Trip, which is one of Braga's sick fetishes, to kill of good characters because he wants to be the one to do it),
    but as a series finale it stinks. It's not even about the crew of the series they're supposed to be wrapping up. If the episode had occurred earlier in the season, I don't think people would hate it so much.

I also don't agree with the demonizing that B&B have incurred in the last few years... particularly with Berman. I think Berman fell subject to the same problem that Roddenberry did. Over the years, Roddenberry started to see himself as not only the father of Star Trek but a visionary with a powerful message. He became so possessive of Star Trek (even though he had no problem bowing out in the 3rd season of TOS) that the only movie after TMP (which was the only one he produced) he seemed to like was IV. He wanted to create a world in TNG that human conflict did not exist (which gave writers problems). I think Berman saw himself as the carrier of Roddenberry's torch and as such, eventually fell into the same trap.

Braga did do a lot of good with some good stories and both were there at the helm during the height of Star Trek's popularity in the '90s. But Braga rose up too quickly through the ranks and became arrogant. But even with Coto as producer, he was still very much involved in the last two seasons.

Either way, neither of them could hold a demonic flame next to the flames bellowing and spewing from the very bowels of Hell that pour out of Abrams' twisted and soulless shell. They burn hotter than a million nova and with more anger than every madman in Humanity's history :p (I think to be considered cool on the internet, you've to complain about something... and complaining about B&B or Lucas has been done to death :D )

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  8. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Time travel in the very first episode should have been a warning sign to me, it certainly had me rolling my eyes. Two episodes in a row in the second season involving shuttlepod crashes should have been a warning sign to me as well. A lot of the hinting at future technology or encountering races they shouldn't have in the first couple of seasons didn't work for me either. Aside from digging some of the M.A.C.O. stuff from season 3 I don't remember much of it, probably for the better.

As has been said, season 4 was a marked improvement. I quite enjoyed seeing things that actually affected the creation of the Federation in that season, and the nods to what was to come in the timeline worked very well for me. Just night and day.

I'll echo what Matt said, don't watch the last episode. No matter what Berman and Braga claim it's a huge middle finger to the show, the actors, and the fans of the show. Voyager's finale was at least par for the course with their affinity for deux ex machina, time travel, and Janeway's random choice morality. Enterprise's finale wasn't even an episode of Enterprise really, and was a repugnant way to end Trek's presence on TV.

9. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Agreed. Enterprise was at it's best when it stood on it's own. First two seasons were fine. Third sucked beyond belief; a terrible plot with a whole season devoted to it. Season 4 was better but it came too late. And the multi-episode arcs got out of hand. The "Augments" story would have been fine as a single episode, the 3 parter was mostly filler.

But I really liked the early episodes, the first steps into the unknown. Inventing space exploration as they go, it was cool.

10. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

It's funny this thread should come up as I never watched Enterprise beyond the third episode in its initial run.

Since then I have watched the odd episode when they were included in those multi series dvd boxsets (Borg, Q, Time Travel etc).

"In a Mirror Darkly" was beyond fantastic! However the Finale indeed was terrible; the only good thing was the montage of Enterprises at the very end before the credits.

So... I've been jonesing from some more Trek lately and figured "here is an entire series I haven't watched." I've been debating buying the boxsets.

One thing I will say is that even the dvd transfer looks amazing on my tv, unlike TNG which looks terrible.

Oh and Kevin (DG), try one day to give AbramsTrek a chance. I hated the film when I first watched it, and I still think Abrams is an arrogant *, however I've recently warmed up to it (I guess two years of cooling off is what it took :lol). It actually got a lot better with repeated viewings. Despite Abrams claiming to have never watched a single episode, it does have many similarities to the Original Series.

Nicholas Meyer never watched Trek either. ;)

Kevin

11. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I enjoyed it for the most part, however it really began to annoy me just how much the Enterprise got it's * handed to them in pretty much every episode. Scott Bakula...really just did not like his character at all. I would have been much happier seeing Trip at the helm and I think the Xindi story went on waaaaay to long.

12. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

That was the only two-part episode I wouldn't mind watching 20 times in a straight row voluntarily, whereas everything else I'd probably only watch once or twice out of boredom.

Honestly, I kinda wish they'd just do a Mirror Universe series that fills-in the gap between the episodes of the shows we've seen.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  13. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

I'm muddling my way through Voyager now with plans of watching Enterprise next. I'm about half way through VOY, and it's as bad as I remember it. But I'm committed now, so I gots to finish it!

Sean

14. terryr

terryr Sr Member

There is too much about Enterprise that bugs me, from the design of the ship to sexy-izing Vulcans.

B&B got away producing crap because of the fanboys wanting anything Star Trek. Their own show tanked fast. And they blamed.....star trek fans. They had gotten big heads and thought people liked them, when it was ST they wanted.

15. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

Not at all - it's actually WORSE then I remember. I recently watched "In a Mirror, Darkly", which was one of the few episodes of Enterprise I held in hight esteem. The acting was horrible (especially Archer and T'Pol), everything was so over the top, and the best parts about the show were 'borrowed' from TOS. The Gorn was still pretty neat though. The ONLY thing I liked about it was seeing the Defiant as a really powerful ship. Having grown up with TNG, I always saw the TOS ships as pretty whussy.

For me, even Enterprise's best episodes were on-par with Voyagers lamer episodes. I know Scott Bakula can act, having recently watched Quantum Leap on Netflix, but in Enterprise he was just about the worst actor I've ever seen in Trek... except for maybe T'Pol. I like Kes better than T'Pol... KES!!! The only characters that were even remotely interesting were Hoshi and Reed. I never understood why people liked Trip - he was okay and I guess he shined in comparison to the others, but he was pretty mediocre.

At least Voyage still felt like Star Trek. Enterprise felt like a completely different show which they stuck some Trek references in just to play on the name.

I would rather watch the "Warp 10" episode of Voyager than ANY episode of Enterprise.

16. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

well as I finish out season 1 here's what I've got

I like almost everybody on the crew, but I'm not crazy about Scott Bakula... he is the weakest link. He just doesn't inhabit the character the same way Shatner was Kirk, and Stewart was Picard.

But I am enjoying the stories with the beginnings of the Federation, and the first contact episodes. And I like the tone, and the almost NASA-esque beginnings of Starfleet.

The temporal cold war thing is pretty meh... but there's only been a couple of episodes about it so far.

Is it as good as TNG or DS9? no. But it is better than Voyager

And I'm sorry to the naysayers but Neelix is easily the most annoying and worst character in Trek history.

17. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I caught the Enterprise episodes on scifi and liked it. To me the weakest of the shows was Voyager. DS9 was good because it was a change of pace.

18. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Sure it was, because Paramount passed on Babylon 5, then tried to make it.

It's good, but it's definitely a different kind of Star Trek. To begin with, they really don't Trek too much.

"To boldly go.....as far as we reasonably can each week while tied to a space station."

19. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

B5 was one of those shows that got better as time went on too. It was way better than B5 for sure. Hopefully the next Trek show will learn from the past issues and be a knockout.

20. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Mirror Darkly" was awesome from a TOS nostalgia standpoint, but I have to agree that Bakula was terrible in it. It also didn't have a good guy for the audience to root for. Everyone was a Mirror Universe homicidal a-hole. So evil Hoshi establishes herself via betrayal and murder. Um, yay?

That's why the original works so well--good people pretending to be bad until they can get out of there (and they save a cat, er I mean the Halkans, in the bargain).

21. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I'm almost done with Voyager, which I've been plugging through since it was released on Netflix. I'd never really given it much thought before, but once I got into it I was hooked. Enterprise will probably be my next go around.

22. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really liked Enterprise but never got to see the last season, but since Darth Gordon spoiled it for me I think I don´t have to catch up...

I hate you Darth Gordon, I HATE you...

Nah, not really, nothing a little spoiler tag can´t fix. And thanks to my excellent memory I´ll forget that information pretty quickly anyway.

Now, I really liked Enterprise except for the production design which I found to be not "retrofitted" enough to work with the TOS designs. A tad bit less tech-y look and voila... but hey, small gripes ;)

And yes, I do wonder what would have happened if BnB could have kept their fingers out of the ending...

23. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I really enjoyed Enterprise, mostly because I was a big Quantum Leap fan so getting to see Scott in a lead role of another Sci-fi show was great.

and well...Jolene Blalock wasn't bad on the eyes either (at least in later seasons).

TNG is/was my Star Trek 'home' though.

24. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

I am a fan too. The Borg episode was great, the start in the Arctic to me had a nice "The Thing" feel to it.

TOS ships wussy? Dude the TOS Constitution class ships were top of the line, and were so badass the Klingons called them Federation Battle Cruisers, and didn't want to go one on one with them.

Totally agree about that final episode. Frakes looks like he was the chef too long, and ate the galley, then wants a nap. The actors should have held a revolt, Jolene loathes that episode.

25. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

:unsure Sorry. I'd considered a spoiler tag, but figured the episode was over six years old now. It's been discussed in several areas of the internet.

26. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I actually liked the last episode a lot because it was a return to TNG - but that being said, I didn't like that it stole the thunder for the Enterprise crew on their last show.

27. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

Enterprise was the weakest ST series IMO. The only good main character was Trip; he actually had a personality!! The rest were ho-hum. The Andorian episodes were really excellent! And I like Archer’s dog. But the Suliban and the Xindi were just ANNOYING! With a few sporadic episodes that were really good, the rest were too dreary and altruistic. They were just getting into their stride though when they canceled it.

Voyager is still my favorite series… I loved all the characters, I loved the ship, and I loved the idea of two enemies teaming together to survive being stranded out in the Delta quadrant. Seven of Nine really breathed more life into the last four years, and for some reason, I never get sick of watching episodes of Voyager.

28. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

For me that was a refreshing change of pace. "Mirror Darkly" is the first and only episode to break the tradition of the "good guy in the bad universe." It takes place completely in the Mirror universe (Mirrorverse? :lol) right down the redone opening credits (which were awesome!).

Bakula definitely overacted, but frankly Shatner's "Mirror Kirk" (that Spock throws in the brig along with evil McCoy, Scotty and Uhura) was pretty over the top as well. Perhaps that is what Bakula was shooting for? I dunno. :confused

What I'd like to know is how this links up with TOS' "Mirror, Mirror." In DS9's "Crossover" it is mentioned how the events of "Mirror, Mirror" affected the Terran Empire (Spock pushed for peace... and the Empire was easily overthrown by a Klingon/Cardassian alliance).

So did Hoshi manage to take over the Empire? What about the technology of the Defiant? Did it push the Empire forward or was it lost before it could make a difference?

Anyway because of "Mirror Darkly" it's nice to know my DST phaser is now a screen accurate replica. ;) :lol

Kevin

29. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

The Enterprise Mirror Universe episodes took place before the Mirror Universe episodes of the original Star Trek. As far as I know, from what I read in the Mirror Universe story collection, the story Age of the Empress, Hoshi did, indeed take over the Empire (picking up right where the last episode left off), had a coup against her by the Andorians (whom she personally invited), only to use the Rebels that had been formed by T'Pol after she managed to escape from capture to regain her throne and the story ending as Phlox works on resurrecting a dead Captain Archer through abnormal medical technology. Some may not consider the story as canon, however the story itself was based on a treatment that was meant to be another Mirror Universe episode for the show had it continued on. But I also heard there was another story that was written that takes place after the Age of the Empress story that continues on after that (I can't say for certain if its true or not, nor can I say I've read that one). And Empress Sato, from what I've also read somewhere online, her version of the Empire after the story (in which due to T'Pol's actions in helping getting Sato back on the throne, allowed for the Vulcans and the Terran Empire to be equals instead of the Vulcans being repressed as it was in the episodes) lead up to the eventual turn around cause by Mirror Spock in the "Mirror, Mirror" episode 122 years later and its eventual fall.

As for the Defiant, I think all it did was give the Empire a bit of a push for advance technology at the start, but had ended up being as advanced as it could be much earlier than Starfleet had in the normal universe. So, I'm guessing that the Terran Empire had ships like the Defiant for years (which, lets face it, it would have taken some time to reverse engineer everything on board the ship, as well as finding the necessary materials and resources to construct them) and then, the Terran Empire and Starfleet eventually met at a point where both their technologies were the same (with the exception of torture devices, obviously), which accounts for why the Mirror Enterprise was only slightly different from the Enterprise of the regular universe.

That or somehow, the 29th Century and their time traveling ships of the Mirror Universe recognized that the Defiant was there when it shouldn't have been, gone back and destroyed it. I'm joking of course, honestly, I believe more in what I said above than this idea of the time traveling 29th Century people.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  30. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

ENT would TOUCH on cool stuff, and then back away.

to me the first season should have been pretty much as-is.... getting their footing etc, but then it should have almost immediatly gotten into the foundation of the United Federations of Planets! That should have been the sole focus of the show..... sure, drag it out, but make it about EXPLORING and SEEKING OUT NEW life etc..... not just having the "Vulcan Database" that gives you all the answers....

31. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm trying REALLY hard to figure out if this is satire.

32. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

You know I had this idea for an episode called " A Dog Day Afternoon". It starts with a black screen, you hear muffled excited voices, then you hear the sound of a weapon impact on the hull, and a crash. All of the sudden The POV is that a wall mirror has fallen and broken, in the 1/2 of the mirror left in the frame, you see Porthos looking at himself. There's more excited voices and the POV Shifts to the door, then back to the mirror. You get (in an homage to Quantum Leap) that you are Porthos. Then there's another Weapons impact, and the POV shakes as the ship shakes. Again a look to the door which pops open. Your POV now is that Porthos gets up, and heads out the open cabin door. The whole episode is of an alien attack, from Portho's POV, and overheard Dialogue, or Dialogue between characters with Porthos clearly in the background, but they don't notice him due to events. I even had the idea of him saving the day by jumping and chomping on a bad guys arm just as he's about to shoot Archer. Decent Idea I think, alas I'm not that good of a writer to pull the whole thing off.

33. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I'm trying REALLY hard to figure out if this is pompous.

34. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Score one for the lady. Munson just got Munsoned.

35. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Ooooh SNAP!

36. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

I HATED Voyager when I first saw it, didn't even make it past the first season. But when we decided to rematch Trek from start to finish we gave it a chance and ended up really enjoying it. It had a lot of excellent episodes and did harken back to TOS with how they explored not just the actions of the crew but also the planets, aliens and more.

Enterprise I loved in the first season, though some of the non-continuity with TOS was a bit irking, I felt it was a good precursor to TOS (April, Pike, Kirk). But the Xindi episodes I felt tried way, way too hard to be what Trek was not. I felt the stretched the characters too far off their mark, especially Archer. But once that was over it REALLY found it's strength. That last season was outstanding.

And I agree, had the finale been a regular episode stuck in somewhere it would have worked well, but as the finale it was a bitter pill to swallow as a Trek fan of either TNG or Enterprise.

37. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

You know, with the Xindi Storyline, they could have retrofitted the Enterprise to TOS type Equipment, explaining that that equipment functioned better in The Rift, whereas the out of place stuff would burn out fast. One of many missed opportunities.

38. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member

Some one PLEASE re-edit this as an episode, or Fanfilm it immediately!
    I SAW this just as you described, 0neiros! GREATIDEA

39. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

got to the first episode of Season 3 this weekend.

Just as the theme music was actually starting to grow on me.... wow... that remix is just awful....

40. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Sisko and crew journeyed to the Beta Quadrant. That's further than Kirk ever went. And even while on a space station, there is still much to explore from the many species that inhabit the station. The Bajorans, the Cardassians, the changelings, the Ferengi, the El-Aurians, and even hints of the Tholians! I like DS9 for answering the question that is never asked when audiences listen to that prologue "Where no one has gone before". Once you get there, what than? Deep Space Nine is a good answer to that question. If we are to occupy space with other species, what will our roles be? What will their roles be? How will we resolve problems that affect them but not us? Well, if your Captain Archer, you go "We didn't come here to play God" and simply walk away.

41. nightwind1

nightwind1 Active Member

Seconded by infinity. The last episode (I refuse to even name it) sucked so hard, it was like the event horizon of a black hole.

42. nightwind1

nightwind1 Active Member

No it wasn't. It didn't match up at all with the TNG episode it was supposed to take place during. And Riker and Troy on TNG didn't look like the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man and his wife, like they did in this episode.

43. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

For a show that I hated, the whole concept of that last Enterprise episode really made me feel for the show's fans. But what do you expect from someone like Brannon Bragga? The man doesn't know how evolution works and he pitched this very episode to be a valentine's gift for the fans. FOR THE FANS. The very group who hated this very episode.

Be thankful that there is one person you can blame for Trek's failure. Rick Berman. The man who succeeded where William Shatner failed. Killing the franchise.

44. neosporing

neosporing Sr Member

Just wanted to thank everyone contributing to this thread. Back in the day, i gave up on Enterprise but, with the help of this thread, returned to it recently and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thanks for the advice everyone about the last episode. Believing that the peter weller episodes were actually the last episodes, made the last episode palatable as a nice epilogue. Still, i was upset to see the romantic story arc that had been present throughout the series come to such a final and unceremonious ending. come to think of it, i probably should have avoided the last episode. I'll just attribute it to being a hologram error, and that Tucker never died.

again thanks everyone for all of the info here.

god i miss trek on t.v.... i hope they bring some Roddenberry flavored trek back to t.v. at some point.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  45. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Come to think of it, I did like the 'Augments' and 'changed Klingons' storyline. Perhaps because it didn't show the enterprise crew as much!

46. Don93

Don93 Well-Known Member

Decided it was time to watch a Trek show, hadn't seen one since Voyager left the air. So we picked up ENT, watched the entire series and really enjoyed it. I had read a lot of negativity about but it all seemed dated and was an initial reaction to something different.
    I wish it had lasted a few more years, it may be one of those show that gets better with age.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  47. Tobot

Tobot Active Member

I've just finished rewatching the whole thing and I must say its up there with TNG for me, it just needed another season to mature a bit more

48. ScottyWhite

ScottyWhite New Member

I enjoy Enterprise and have watched the seasons on many occasions. When it first on UPN I watched a few episodes but hated the theme song and the fact I could find a character I could get into. So I stopped watching it.

Some years later Syfy was running it and I had caught it at Season 3 and was hooked. One long story long about trying to prevent the destruction of earth, crazy time travel aliens, a new race with 5 different species it was groovy. From then on I enjoyed it. I like most epieosde but a few stand out.

Carbon Creek: A bout the first time Vulcan's visited Earth
    Judgement: A good throw back to Star Trek VI
    First Flight: Talking about the Warp Engine Test runs

I think Enterprise is misunderstood, yes it tries to force itself into continuity but you have the problem with shows pretending to be prequels. Most of the cast grows on you and they did have some novel episodes and characters. Shran the Andorian played wonderfully by Jeffery Combs (Brunt and Weyoun from DS9) comes to mind. It's on Netflix give it another run through.

49. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it (though I'm having a hard time believing anybody could say "It's up there with TNG" with a straight face), but Enterprise wasn't going to "mature" with another season (or another 5 seasons).

To be perfectly frank, the show was poorly acted and written, it had NO direction (the first two seasons were completely direction-less, the third season had an over-arching plot, and the fourth season seemed like they were trying to apologize to 'fans'), and was poorly led (B&B - I'm looking at you...).

The ONLY way they could have salvaged the show is to re-cast the writing staff, give the show a purpose, and re-cast at least half the actors - even then it would have had the stench of failure and wouldn't have been able to recover.

No, I think Enterprise was understood quite well: It was Paramount's "*expletive deleted* - you" to the fans. They stated from the beginning that it "wasn't Star Trek for the fans" - this was actually said by the producers and shown by (A) Not having "Star Trek" in the title, (B) Crapping over what's already been set up in the 30 years prior, (C) The theme song (though I didn't mind it as much as others did). A prequel is always a mistake, but at least with most prequels you don't intentionally crap all over your fan-base.

Having said that, Enterprise might have been better had they set Star Trek COMPLETELY aside and just made a new space drama.

There were a LOT of problems with Enterprise. As I said, I'm glad some of you out there enjoyed it, but it wasn't a matter of 'getting used to the characters' or 'the show needed more time' (Firefly got less than a season and it was 100x better than Enterprise). I stuck with the show for four seasons hoping that it would "get better" (after all, Voyager, for me, was similar - it started out unwatchable and got better - though it's no where near as good as TOS/TNG/DS9) - for me, the entire series was terrible. The Xindi arc (which a lot of people say was the saving grace of the show) was terrible - it was slow, repetitive, and just dragged on for FAR too long (I'm hard pressed to say you would get four decent episodes out of the all the "best" material in the season).

50. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Enterprise had promise and I was hopeful at first, especially as we seemed to be getting the much under-used Andorians and Tellerites... but too much time-travel/time-war/future stuff, too much using species from TNG/DS9 and not enough TOS species. There were so many we could have seen first contact with that would have made great stories. Also too many brand new species that we never saw in later eras, and the uniforms and overall design seemed to want to echo the TNG era rather than TOS.
    Then for a while it seemed to be doing a "look we have X, Y or Z from TNG/DS9/VOY as a guest star" before heading off into "How can we get Jolene Blalock naked this week?"

But it had some good moments: showing that it took a while for Earth and Vulcan to develop trust, giving us a good look at the Andorians, and the mirror universe episode was brilliant. Plus it made me appreciate Voyager a little more. Maybe it could have improved if it had gone on, after all TNG's didn't hit gold until season 4 or 5.

Personally I could have done with using the Borg, Ferengi, Romulans and Klingons so early/often, but who knows, maybe I'll re-watch it again someday and appreciate that at least it's not JJ-Trek.