Gilligan's Island Bamboo Car

badmojo

I work at a Home Depot and for the 3rd year in a row I've been nominated to build this years "Cashier Olympics" Float. District theme is "TV Shows" so our store picked Gilligan's Island. I thought the bamboo car scaled down to 2'x4' would be perfect, but so far I've only found this one ref. pic.
View attachment 33294
Does anyone else have any other screen grabs? :confused

Last edited:
here you go :) i wish i had a reason to build one of these myself! :lol

gil9.jpg

gil8.jpg

gil7.jpg

gil6.jpg

gil4.jpg

gil3.jpg

gil2.jpg

gil1.jpg

Thanks for the link, but the Home Depot Firewall blocks it. I'll just have to pick up the DVDs.

You would get a much more realistic look if you used PVC pipe for the bamboo, the nodes (rings) could be as simple at beads of caulk...
Heh, PVC was my plan from the beginning. I've had great luck in the past by scoring the pvc first & then hitting it with a blowtorch, swelling the "nodes". I first read about it over at Tiki Central.
Tiki Central Forums - Topic: Making Fake Bamboo

UFO, those are perfect, Thanks!

I'm not going for an exact replica, but I should be able to give it a go in my spare time here at work over the next week or so.

I'll be sure to post some build pics along the way.

It's been a ***** trying to work this into my regular work load. All I can say is thank god I'm building it at work, the design is just hemorrhaging PVC fittings. I dont have access to the Luhala Matting for all the panels, I may have to resort to faux painting some masonite. I've done bamboo print in the past with a doctored up squeegee.

Finally finished the thing, only to be beaten by Handy Manny. I guess it needed to be painfully obvious that the cashiers built it themselves, without help.:rolleyes

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back