Giger (Oerlikon) 1:1 scale bust

hellsbellsboys

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone,
Quick intro back around 1995 I was asked by Giger to mould his original Alien at his home in Switzerland.I took a few photos (before I phones) and all were lost except one (see pic).In 2018 at a show a collector of previous work asked me to do a replica in spirit but with a "finished" look.As I started to sculpt I came across Leigh's "Bob the Alien" incredible journey and piece and all the wonderful info from everybody involved with that thread and even helped him a tiny bit with the dome forming.Here are some photos of my final piece,please note I asked Leigh out of courtesy if he minded me posting as his work is out of this world and I did not want to take anything from it or him.

Sculpted in "wet" clay,real individual bones used in the head and neck tail,spine,chromed individual teeth and as much original pipe etc that Leigh and others were able to help with on his thread.
bruce3a.jpg

Attachments

• H R Giger oerlikon 7.jpg
    H R Giger oerlikon 7.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 391
  • H R Giger oerlikon 16.jpg
    H R Giger oerlikon 16.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 399
  • H R Giger Oerlikon 4.jpg
    H R Giger Oerlikon 4.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 389
  • H R Giger Oerlikon 24.jpg
    H R Giger Oerlikon 24.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 399
  • H R Giger Oerlikon 14.jpg
    H R Giger Oerlikon 14.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 402
  • H R Giger Oerlikon 26.jpg
    H R Giger Oerlikon 26.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 336
  • H R Giger Oerlikon 25.jpg
    H R Giger Oerlikon 25.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 334
  • H R Giger Oerlikon 22.jpg
    H R Giger Oerlikon 22.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 357
  • H R GIGER Oerlikon 1.jpg
    H R GIGER Oerlikon 1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 364
  • H R Giger oerlikon 18.jpg
    H R Giger oerlikon 18.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 384
The finish is incredible. I would ask if you have any in progress pictures. Details on your painting technique and what not. Also, real bones huh? Skull too? I like using real pieces when necessary as well.
Congratulations on such a fantastic piece.

The finish is incredible. I would ask if you have any in progress pictures. Details on your painting technique and what not. Also, real bones huh? Skull too? I like using real pieces when necessary as well.
Congratulations on such a fantastic piece.
Many thanks for the kind words,appreciate it.You can find more progress pics on my Instagram page "Bruce Hansing" but have attached a few anyway :).
PAINTING; Though we know Giger was renowned for his airbrush work I decided to work in a slightly more free way and only use the airbrush to tie things in.Apply more colours than you think are there as you can always loose them later and I also applied paint over a wax coat and let it displace itself in a random manor then a layer of shellac which gives it a natural,living feel,then more paint effect and more shellac and finally a gloss,polyurethane varnish and you have a finish with much going on but never complicating the overall look of the piece :).Yes real bones,i think they were a mixture of small deer neck vertebra and sheep,i looked at snake bones as Giger said he used but unless from an Anaconda they all looked too small.The scull I sculpted and yes like you it is great to use real pieces and as Giger did too it only seemed natural to do so >
Thanks again

Attachments

• ALIEN Lips.jpg
    ALIEN Lips.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 362
  • A9.jpg
    A9.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 350
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 347
  • Chris Alien 6.jpg
    Chris Alien 6.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 357
  • ChrisAlien3.jpg
    ChrisAlien3.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 347
  • Chris Alien1.jpg
    Chris Alien1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 327
Great work once again Bruce. I really have to try this wed clay once.
"wet" clay,:))))) water based clay like we had at school,buff clay,think "WED" clay is a brand but could be wrong .Yes get a bag or two,so therapeutic...………….where is that king ? :)))

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back