GI-Joe Retaliation Cobra Commander Helmet WIP *UPDATED 13/7*

JBReplicas

Sr Member
A little while ago I discovered the photos of the new Cobra Commander costume from GI-Joe Retaliation, after the monstrosity that was the first films version I was glad to see they had decided to fix it for the sequel, with that in mind and knowing that I had a huge block of Klean Klay in my workroom, I decided to try my hand at sculpting, here are the results. I have never sculpted anything in my life, the last prop I made from scratch was the X-Men First Class Magneto Helmet, and that was cobbled together with cardboard and layers of filler, sculpting so far has been a fun experience, there are lots of things to fix and refine before I will be happy with it, I have only found about 4 useable reference pictures so far which also doesn't help :lol Enough talk, on to the photos, as always I appreciate any constructive comments and suggestions :thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: GI-Joe Retaliation Cobra Commander Helmet WIP

And a few more from the weekend showing where I was at then, the sculpt has come on a bit since.

heres where I am now as I await more clay :cool I am now working on the detail sections on the 'cheeks'. Love this helmet design! I'll definitely be getting one of the UD replicas ones if/when they get released! :thumbsup

Looking great. I'll keep an eye on this one. I love that new helmet in Retaliation (and disappointed the movie was moved to next year).

Oh that's great man! The fangs are pretty cool on this version of Cobra Commander.
If I may, the detail pieces around the mouth look smaller in some photo's of the CC...

Thanks all, small update, Art's photos from Comic Con are going to be a great help here

And one more, the lights going here so I will probably call it a day for today. I am trying to get as much of the main detail on the sculpt, the plan is to then make a resin master which I can refine, the clay I am using is Klean Klay regular and it is rather soft so the fine detail is a pain to do, for a first go though I am doing my best :thumbsup

Last edited:

Your doing great bud!

I can't help but think this design coulda worked for B.A.T.S. Troops...

I'll never understand why they can't match the movie version to comics, toons, figs...

But I do love this design and your sculpt of it! :)

Re: GI-Joe Retaliation Cobra Commander Helmet WIP *UPDATE 13/7*

Wasn't happy with the detail in the sides so I started over :lol Much happier now, the 'trench' sections you see are still blocked in, they will stay that way until the resin cast is made so I can drill/sand them out and get them nice and sharp :thumbsup

Last edited:
Dude, great job! Love the helm, are you doing a full costume? I'm in the process of making a cobra commander helmet for my bro, Would you know where i could find pep files?

Looks great so far. I think your scale looks good, the helmet is quite small and close fitting. I love the helmet design so I'm here to support your effort with a full complement of reference photos from Comic-Con 2012... COBRA!

Nice work. I would doubt that there are any pep files of this yet as the film hasn't been realeased yet and references are scarce.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back