GI Joe Classified

Gimpdiggity

Master Member

I had, as a kid, every figure and vehicle in the 3.75” GI Joe line, except for the USS Flagg and the giant space shuttle, simply because we didn’t have room for them.

I sold them a few years back because I wasn’t displaying them and they were just sitting in my parents’ basement, so I figured if a collector could actually display them, they deserved that.

So I was pretty excited to see this reveal at Toy Fair. I’ve already preordered all of them except Scarlett, and that’s only because Amazon seems to be acting as if she’s out of stock, not on preorder.

I haven’t had the collectible bug in several years...nothing really caught my eye...but these? Yeah, I’ll end up with every one of them...I’m just not sure if I’ll open them, or leave them in their boxes.

I always have, do, and will, collect gi Joe figures.
Problem lately is there are NONE in stores.
50th anniversary came and went. NOTHING.
I hope this is hasbros way of apologizing for that.

I had most of the original ARAH stuff from the 80s and 90s up until high school.
Then 25th anniversary ARAH launched while I was stationed in Japan. People on forums help me get most of what I couldnt find online and those were great.
Then the first live action movie came out and...
I jave never walked out of a movie but this was close.
I knew it was the beginning of the end. Sure enough joe started having less and less presence on the pegs and one day... Gone.

Fast forward to now and I'm pretty excited to see joe back and ready to hang out with the other franchise that made the leap from 3.75 to 6 inch... Star Wars. And oh also collect 6 inch marvel legends, so 6 inch joes are goong to be welcomed with open arms in my house. My only gripe is the odd style of the figures. I get the fact they wouldnt get young money if they just enlarged the 80s designs. But these arent even like modern/realistic like MCU Mrvel legends are. Tjese are kinda fortnite-y.
But!
I will probably buy them anyway to show support and maybe they will release updated (fixed) vetsions of these later. Snake eyes is hands down the best one so far. Destro very close 2nd.
Roadblock is atrocious and duke/Scarlett somewhere in between.
I already foind a 1:12 scale browning M2 .50 for roadblock. So that will help but I might have to repaint some points of the figure to bring down tje bling a notch.

Anyway yeah. Joe is back and I'm excited!!!

Figures look okay. Hate the future tech weapon designs and the use of gold paint on the figures. Looks like hasbro couldn't make up it's mind to go either classic old school or future soldier.

Yeah a bit too much overwatch/fortnite influence I'm afraid.
I think the weapons is because of the whole "guns are bad" general public image. So they went with "LaZeR GunZ".
Luckily there are 3rd party aftermarket solutions.
And paint for gold parts ;)

CB2ECFFD-6638-40BF-8AAD-2DF4FE97D42C.jpeg
My Snake Eyes has been pushed back to August, and I’m having trouble sourcing Destro, but the other three are here.

Amazon kinda banged up the boxes, so I’m thinking of opening them and displaying in poses. The boxes aren’t that great, either, not much on them worth keeping.

Nice! I almost nabbed these 3 yesterday but decided they will be abundant at retail. Hopefully.
So just like the exclusive snake eyes, I hesitated and missed out on the light blue cobra commander that went up on Hasbro pulse for preorder.
*FACEPALM*
I DID, however, manage to get off my keister in time to preorder the "snow patrol" or whatever they called the storm shadow that dropped as a very obvious nod to the ninja force storm shadow v3.
Looks amazing and I almost bought 2 so I could repaint one as stormy v2 (my favorite as the version that was turned good).

The other reveal was gung ho and he looks BITCHIN. like a marine that said "I dont need no frilly gold armor". He looks great and so far the only pass might be the red ninja although he is very night creeper inspired.
Oh and a new "profit director" destro exclusive was revealed. Ironically I just recently sold my 25th anniversary version. I will not be revisiting that debacle.

So yeah I think I am all it on this.
Hasbro also made another wallet screaming announcement in the form of transformers RED.
They are non-transforming (hear me out) very cartoon accurate 6 inch line comparable to marvel legends. Minus the BAF but accessories aplenty.
G1 versions of optimus, Megatron, and soundwave were revealed along with names of characters from other animated versions of different eras.
I cant wait to see g1 versions of starscream and bumblebee.

Hasbro is dead set on my kids not going to college I think. I was barely keeping up with marvel legends and star wars black series.
I dont think I have enough organs to sell to afford all these lines!!!

Nice! I almost nabbed these 3 yesterday but decided they will be abundant at retail. Hopefully.
So just like the exclusive snake eyes, I hesitated and missed out on the light blue cobra commander that went up on Hasbro pulse for preorder.
*FACEPALM*
I DID, however, manage to get off my keister in time to preorder the "snow patrol" or whatever they called the storm shadow that dropped as a very obvious nod to the ninja force storm shadow v3.
Looks amazing and I almost bought 2 so I could repaint one as stormy v2 (my favorite as the version that was turned good).

The other reveal was gung ho and he looks BITCHIN. like a marine that said "I dont need no frilly gold armor". He looks great and so far the only pass might be the red ninja although he is very night creeper inspired.
Oh and a new "profit director" destro exclusive was revealed. Ironically I just recently sold my 25th anniversary version. I will not be revisiting that debacle.

So yeah I think I am all it on this.
Hasbro also made another wallet screaming announcement in the form of transformers RED.
They are non-transforming (hear me out) very cartoon accurate 6 inch line comparable to marvel legends. Minus the BAF but accessories aplenty.
G1 versions of optimus, Megatron, and soundwave were revealed along with names of characters from other animated versions of different eras.
I cant wait to see g1 versions of starscream and bumblebee.

Hasbro is dead set on my kids not going to college I think. I was barely keeping up with marvel legends and star wars black series.
I dont think I have enough organs to sell to afford all these lines!!!

Looks like there may be two variants of Cobra Commander on the Pulse site right now.

Never mind, I missed that they say sold out when you go to order them.

Yeah it sold out pretty quick. Seems there was quite a snafu as some retauler accidentally posted those images ahead of revealing it as a convention exclusive. Hasbro was cool about it and just went ahead and made it available.
I bet that retailer is no longer selling any Hasbro product lol

I was able to preorder Gung Ho, boring regular Cobra Commander, and that Storm Shadow.

The Storm Shadow isn’t even listed on the Hasbro Pulse site...it says it’s Amazon exclusive, but strange it isn’t even listed...makes me wonder if any other figures aren’t on there but will be retailer exclusive?

I’ll need to source both Destros, that variant Cobra Commander, and Red Ninja.

I’m not sure I need the “regular” Snake Eyes since I have the Deluxe on the way.

Last edited:
I just stopped in Target to see if they had Destro, as it says on their site they’re sold out for preorders but available in store.

They had none on the shelf, so I asked a young guy working if he had even seen any.

He checked the store’s inventory using some numbers on the product listing, and told me they had none, and showed me that his system has a street date of September 9th for the figure. Weird.

I'm a little aggravated by Hasbro's decisions regarding this line. I really like some of the figures. I had planned to pick and choose the ones I liked for my collection. But already they are playing the stupid exclusive game. I'm referring to the recently "gone within minutes" Beach Head and Cobra Trooper. Both were cool figures that I would have picked up. But I'm not paying stupid scalper prices for these. I just don't understand why companies do stuff like this. Every character should have a general release version. Save the exclusives for the repaints like the pimp Destro or whatever they are calling it. Why would you make a standard army building figure like Cobra Trooper an exclusive??

I'm a little aggravated by Hasbro's decisions regarding this line. I really like some of the figures. I had planned to pick and choose the ones I liked for my collection. But already they are playing the stupid exclusive game. I'm referring to the recently "gone within minutes" Beach Head and Cobra Trooper. Both were cool figures that I would have picked up. But I'm not paying stupid scalper prices for these. I just don't understand why companies do stuff like this. Every character should have a general release version. Save the exclusives for the repaints like the pimp Destro or whatever they are calling it. Why would you make a standard army building figure like Cobra Trooper an exclusive??

Agree 100%.

I’m not even aware of some of these figures until they’re already sold out.

I know the couple of Target exclusives (it appears Beach Head is one) will PROBABLY be available in stores eventually, but it’s still annoying.

I kept waiting & didn't get the exclusive Snake Eyes, but I figured it'd be ok since I'm sure there'll be a slew of variants. My only regret is not getting the more realistic weapons. Does anyone have a quality source for 1:12 scale military weapons?

I’m trying to just watch the many reviews “Fwoosh, Toy Galaxy” to get my fix and not actually buy.

cuz I just don’t have the space... movie props can still look somewhat classy displayed on a shelf, if I get back to “toy figures on shelf” my place quickly starts to look like a kids room, heh.

but then I’m also tempted to buy and store for a time if my company ever gets to the point of needing a studio space...

Then it’s gonna be wall to wall movie props, toys, art...

I’m also afraid I’ll fall down that collecting issue I (and many here) have that if I buy one I’ll buy em all.

I got my limited edition or collector’s edition or whatever Snake Eyes...and man is it ever a nice package.

Definitely a fan.

I also finally overpaid for Destro tonight after not finding it anywhere for the normal $20. I paid $30, but had $10 in Amazon gift cards that I wasn’t using for anything else so whatever.

That makes all five of the initial release for me. I may hold off on really collecting them all, mainly because it seems like it will be difficult with all of the ones that look like they are supposed to be convention exclusives getting released in pretty limited quantities.

To say I've been disappointed with this series is an understatement. First, the version of Storm Shadow they released was pretty underwhelming. I was hoping for something closer to his v1 figure. Then, like has been already mentioned here, the exclusives. I would've really liked Beach Head and the Cobra Viper. By the time I found out about them they were already sold out and going for stupid prices on the secondary market. Then I saw what they did with Firefly. Another odd choice. To me, Hasbro really blew it.

If you are still looking for a Major Blud, check the target app. They have been popping up all over the targets in my area. Was finally able to get one by using the app.

Finally managed to get Beach Head and Cobra Viper for decent prices off eBay. So far I'm only collecting the figures I like and not going for a complete set.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back