Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Ned Figglehorn

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
PXL_20220609_035218992.MP.jpg

I was at Ecto-Fest yesterday where Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan announced the Sequel to Afterlife! Working title is "Firehouse" so what are your thoughts? I am super excited for the future of Ghostbusters!

My thought. I have confidence in it but I am still afraid that it might end up being a "Let's make the original team look inferior and dumb compared to "the new cast." It's a trend we see too much now rather than having the "elders" be respected. With that said though they showed a lot of respect to the original team in Afterlife, which is where my bit of confidence in this sequel comes from , but cautiously.

These two have proven themselves to be the best guys leading Ghostbusters into the future. And they proved their mettle with GBA. But I understand being cautious. I myself was cautiously hopeful for GBA and I wasn't disappointed with it. I will be hopeful, and just as cautious.

Well, I think it's better starting point than Afterlife. which didn't do much for me at all. The ending got me excited with Winston in the firehouse. Get back into the city and excitement of that and I just hope they can hit the quirky comedy notes which to me are very important. If those kids remain as the new cast, man, not optimistic at all on that. Need some actors with that magic quality the original had, the kinds of people you can watch make a ham sandwich and it's entertaining.

If we have Winston leading the new team that would be awesome. Though... the threat doesn't always have to be world ending. The premise could kinda work well as a TV-series where they go around investigating supernatural stuff and bust ghosts here and there... slowly increasing the amount until a large event happens.
Maybe some human bad guys for a change, they weaponize ghosts for the usual villian foul intents, make ghost armies and sell them, ghost assassins, ghost ransomware pay up or the ghosts will wreak havoc. The anti-Ghostbusters. for them to have to counter who have the tech and talent too.

Isn't that essentially the plot of GB 2016? :lol: Except the bad guy in that movie used his Powers of Evil to force a crowd of people to square dance :rolleyes:

There are okay things in the GB 2016 movie. They just turned it into pointless slapstick and neon ghosts and very little attention to creating a good cohesive story. Heck, I wouldn't mind bringing the female Ghostbusters back, but for the love of all things... make a better story for them.
I saw it in theaters when I was 13, and I had a fun time. The story wasn't great, but I still laughed, and I loved the redesigned flight suits, Ecto, and Proton Packs. I think Kate McKinnon was definitely the MVP of the cast, as I pretty much loved every scene she was in. My biggest problems were the jokes felt like they went on WAY too long, like they had to explain every single aspect of the joke to the audience, or add some weird twist to the joke (i.e., the Garfield hair dye being named after the president, and not the cat). The opening scene with Zach Woods definitely had a good scary vibe to it, and he managed to deliver the absurd jokes pretty well.

The cameos were fun, and the film overall definitely gets more hate than I feel it deserves (a large amount of it being heavily bigoted, which is not okay at all), but I definitely think it could've had a little help with the jokes, as well as making the villain a bit more intriguing.

I dunno. I wouldn't argue to put anyone else in charge of this but I'm not sure where they will go with it either. The new cast will surely be taking over.

It might help to move the setting a few years and bump up the ages of the new cast. At least let them age as much as the actors really have aged since 'Afterlife' was filmed. The goofy teenager thing was cute last time but I think the kids should be a notch different next time.

I'm guessing Bill Murray's involvement will be dialed back. The old cast will be mainly Dan & Ernie.

Ghostbusters Afterlife II The Wrath of Viggo (Scourge of Carpathia, Sorrow of Moldavia.)
Starring Vigo Mortensen as Viggo
As amusing as that would be, I really hope they don't. They need to come up with new baddies this time round.

I dunno. I wouldn't argue to put anyone else in charge of this but I'm not sure where they will go with it either. The new cast will surely be taking over.

It might help to move the setting a few years and bump up the ages of the new cast. At least let them age as much as the actors really have aged since 'Afterlife' was filmed. The goofy teenager thing was cute last time but I think the kids should be a notch different next time.

I'm guessing Bill Murray's involvement will be dialed back. The old cast will be mainly Dan & Ernie.
The events of Afterlife are relevant. When Phoebe first called Ray, he almost hung up on her. By the end, he and Winston have definitely had their involvement rekindled. They were always the heart of the team, and I can see then acting in a leadership/advisory role, rather than always being actively out in the field.

I wouldn't discount Peter's or Dana's involvement. The stinger at the end of Afterlife hints that they're not entirely out of the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. Grooberson stay involved, as a bit of a bridge between the first two films and the new kids. And I want to see more of said kids. They stepped up hard and, for all the wacky actiony shenanganery, Phoebe and Podcast are solid, and Trevor had a definite arc. Lucky is a good supporting character I want to see more of, as well.

"Firehouse" is slated for release in December of next year. Going by the actors' current ages, I will presume Podcast will be 16, Phoebe will be 17, Trevor will be 20, and Lucky will be 24. So they'll be less "kiddy", and probably have had a bit of an orientation following the cut to end credits in Afterlife.

For me, I still want to see Alyssa Milano as Ivo Shandor's great-granddaughter. And I desperately want a good enough script and relevant reason for him to be there to maybe coax Rick Moranis back as Lewis Tully, the fifth Ghostbuster.

If we have Winston leading the new team that would be awesome. Though... the threat doesn't always have to be world ending. The premise could kinda work well as a TV-series where they go around investigating supernatural stuff and bust ghosts here and there... slowly increasing the amount until a large event happens.
That's basically The Frighteners but it could work

Maybe...

Here's some great news for GB fans, it would appear that the 2016 version of Ghostbusters is officially not canon. Sony hasn't come out and said as much, but they've strongly implied that it's no longer canon.

In my mind it never was canon. I try to block it's existence from my mind as best I can. Great cast, awful script.

As for the Frozen Empire teaser? The name is kind of doofy, but the trailer actually looks like a lot of fun. I got goosebumps at a couple of points which almost never happens when I see a trailer. As much as I'm tired of seeing classic movies with endless sequels, I can make an exception for this and I'd like to catch it in the theater. Dare I say I'm kind of excited to see this? Which is a very, very nice surprise.

Afterlife didn't do much for me, despite a great opening sequence. Seriously that opener was so clever and well shot. I like the new cast too, McKenna Grace is going to be a huge star, and the premise of Egon's estranged daughter and grandkids inheriting his old farm was a unique one. I just didn't care for the nostalgia reliance and it really hindered the plot, especially when it's revealed that they went up against Gozer again. Though what Afterlife did absolutely right was to treat the original film and original cast with respect and that's something so many modern sequels to classics get wrong. So I give them a lot of credit for that alone.

I think what looks promising with this trailer is that there's a new threat and I hope the new cast can really grow because I like the talent involved and the potential is there for an engaging story. So yeah, consider me impressed so far!

Looks interesting. Can be hard to tell from just a trailer like that.
It does remind me a lot of the movie, The Day After Tomorrow, with everything freezing super fast. That movie came out May 24th, 2004. Frozen Empire comes out (if not delayed again) March 29th, 2024. So 20 years apart, minus two months....thats kinda weird in a way.
I only saw The Day After Tomorrow once, and remember it being only ok, but nothing overly amazing....so lets hope this Ghostbusters film is much better.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back