Ghostbusters Afterlife: Adam Savage's Aztec Death Whistle

Pretty much done with this one! I’m not totally happy with the leather chord, tried a bunch of types and nothing looks quite right, but I’ll keep experimenting.

0E149D77-D788-46B6-8D46-4749E8400CA1.jpeg
24BB4B7D-AB1B-41E7-B52C-165B72186F7C.jpeg
81609894-5B1F-4E0D-A308-7605EA993029.jpeg
E1030DF0-262F-49B2-89AB-FF79E7BD49FF.jpeg
5C5C8EDB-D745-4DFA-826E-ED5DC47973AE.jpeg

So this one that I finished was all of Adam’s weathering passes over the colored resin, don’t actually spray that first tan layer.

So as an experiment I did a first layer with tan and found that the oil paint thinner just pulled all of that paint off. So I’m not sure what he did special that made it so his didn’t come off. I noticed it was Golden brand, anything special about that spray? I used Rustoleum 2x, which he uses later as a sealer for the oil layer.

Last edited:
So this one that I finished was all of Adam’s weathering passes over the colored resin, don’t actually spray that first tan layer.

So as an experiment I did a first layer with tan and found that the oil paint thinner just pulled all of that paint off. So I’m not sure what he did special that made it so his didn’t come off. I noticed it was Golden brand, anything special about that spray? I used Rustoleum 2x, which he uses later as a sealer for the oil layer.

What brand resin were you using? Might help with the answers. (Sorry if you mentioned it earlier in the thread and I didn't see it)

On a separate note, would love to see what a casting with bronze powder in the resin would come up looking like, with some black/green patina wax.

Neither brand is available here so cant be completely sure, but I guess it might be oil vs acrylics thing. You can paint oil over acrylics but not acrylics over oils.

The sealer layer does just that, it protects the first layers so they dont react.

I'm using Smoothon 325, its a typical urethane resin. The first layer was Rustoleum, not acrylic. Im gonna try sealing it before and after the oil wash and see if that helps. Otherwise im happy with how the oil works over the colored resin itself.

Golden is more of an artist type brand, so maybe they're formulated differently. I've used Golden products in other mixed media projects and had no issues with interaction.

And whilst I'm commenting and not just lurking; these look fantastic!

Its mostly the oil paint thinner, turpentine, that stripped the paint, not the oil paint itself. Which makes sense.

Turps I think is way too strong for a thinner. White Spirits might be a bit lighter. Naptha or zippo fluid might be less and evaporate much more quickly. Back in my painting days, used to use turps as a paint stripper for taking paint off of wood, and white spirits for cleaning brushes. Not sure if any of this helps.

BzGvBVVEM2Sw4L7XY80Lfaxv5R4wbde0dlgQBzQ8o&usqp=CAU.jpg

Oooooh, Did not realize those were different things. I just grabbed whatever thinner i saw near oil paints at Michaels. Thanks! I'll use Mineral Spirits next time. Honestly the washes look a lot more rich and real just straight on the colored resin, so ill probably keep that method for future ones. Im working out how long it takes me to do each to work out a future run.

Last edited:
On the subject of oil paints, may I recommend the use of Alkyd oils? They use a resin to bind them instead of a drying oil, they dry faster and more thoroughly and are generally more stable than traditional oil paint. You can even get Alkyd mediums to thin the paint which won't compromise drying time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back