Ghostbusters 1 Hero Proton Pack Build

Lowberg

Hey guys this is my first thread on these boards! I would like to share with you my build of a Ghostbusters 1 Hero Pack build. This is my third pack build, and this time I'm trying to replicate the Hero Versions of the proton packs they used in the film. I'm currently in the middle of the build so I wont be able to show you progress from scratch but I'll get you up to speed!

For those of you who arent GB guys, The Hero Packs had a fiberglass resin shell and all the parts attached to it were custom made from Aluminum. The thrower (gun) was also completely fabricated from aluminum.
In Ghostbusters 2, they made Semi-Hero versions of the packs which just replaced all the metal parts with resin versions, and they re-casted the shell to include some of these parts physically cast into the shell.

Since I am going for a GB1 Hero replica, I'm using all aluminum parts made by various members of the GBfans forum.

For the shell I used a really nice replica from a nice fellow named Chris Bosch that's considered to be one of the more accurate versions available.
Chris not only painstakingly tried to recreate all the exact angles and positions of details on the shell, but his shell also has great texture and even replicated some grain markings on the ribs and nail head markings seen on all the hero shells

r1zJhei.jpg

o8gljar.jpg

Here's my all aluminum thrower I've been working on
fHacNqn.jpg

hS4mwgw.jpg

The aluminum motherboard has some thick aluminum brackets pop riveted on that the shell gets bolted to. I was able to score some accurate rubber spacers that they used to give the alice frame some space from the motherboard.

9yZYog9.jpg

OgOYXBU.jpg

Here's how my build stands currently with all the custom made aluminum parts bolted to the shell.

Ontf2Zf.jpg

pcpXQkB.jpg

hvT4vXg.jpg

The bellows or "shock mount" is one of those original parts that's impossible to find for the proton pack. It was made from a vintage thermostat of some sorts but the great guys on the gbfans got a deal set up with a company to manufacture almost exact replicas of these. Very excited to have a "real" replica of this part on my pack, most of the time only resin versions are available

yZs4w3Q.jpg

So that's how it sits right now! I will update this thread with progress as it happens!

Not much response for this thread but I figure I'd post the finished pics instead of letting the thread die lol

She's 99% finished and as screen accurate as I could get her (The actual packs are actually pretty crappy looking in person, mine is very similar just overall a more well built cleaner feel). I tried to use accurate materials, dry rub decals, foil labels, all aluminum parts. The real hero packs had these vintage GE camera flash bulbs wired into the tip of the throwers so I added one to mine as well. They were used to cue and sync up the rotoscoping of the proton streams.

The ribbon cable was made by someone in the GB community (He made every color and pattern of wire in the ribbon accurate, crazy!)

The only thing that will be replaced is the grey knob on top, it's a resin cast and not an authentic one. They are impossible to get right now in the Ghostbusters community.

It's got full lights and sound, and the barrel extends like in the Gozer battle scene in GB1.

Anyways here she is! My Hero Proton Pack!

6bmIEuM.jpg

3SQAP4d.jpg

LSqvNSV.jpg

LHOrhf3.jpg

Yes, looks great !

I just now saw this thread...sometimes a thread gets lost if there's too many other threads on the same day.

Thanks guys! I just need to grab one missing aluminum label from my buddy, make the "charging/power switch" bracket that was on the heroes, and pimp out the insides with an amplifier and Bluetooth receiver system so I can stream music to it XD.

Shot a little video of the whole thing, the other day. I used youtube's antishake effect so its a little trippy in some parts! Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is one fine looking pack! Fantastic job with the weathering- this is where I see so many builds fall apart, but you nailed it.

So many more excellent quality parts (and references) have become available since I built mine. I'm a little envious ;)

Enjoy that thing!

Thanks! I just have to make the "power/charging" plate on the back and find some genuine pneumatic elbows to replace the replica ones on it. (Every once in a while a of genuine elbows pop up but people ask like $100 for 3, its insane). Luckily I found some really nice replica ones that are resin but with genuine brass inserts sourced from a different model from the same manufacture. So I guess the only difference is the grey resin plastic for the elbow vs. the actual real plastic lol.

30.jpg

Good question! I never actually checked before. I just weighed myself with it on and then subtracted my weight. 28lbs on the dot.

My electronics are pretty minimal though, just one speaker inside. Some of the guys who build these pimp the hell out of them with electronics and I've heard of some packs weighing up to 40lbs.

I think since I used all the same materials as the real hero packs just with a speaker added, I'd say the real hero ones without weighed around 25lbs.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back