Ghostbusters 1 Ecto Goggles

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by adsfuse, May 2, 2012.

  1. adsfuse

    adsfuse New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    I posted this over at GBFans and since I know some people don't frequent their site often I figured I would share this with you guys.

    I had been waiting for a pair of aluminum lenses and aluminum faceplate to come up for sale before I started my goggles, but I was in the mood to do these up and seeing as mikenelson offered up some resin lenses (which are great by the way) and resin faceplate, I figured I would get it under way and replace whatever needed replacing when I do finally come across some aluminum parts.
    I started off with a pair of AN/PVS-5A NVG that I had picked up from Vin a while back. The nose bridge was cracked along with a few other little cracks here and there. I used a piece of wire hanger to help reinforce the larger cracks and it worked well, I also used a piece of a soda can for the crack that was on the top of the frames that's not pictured below, and I also hit it with some primer/filler spray paint to make sure I got all the spots I wanted to. I went a little overboard on JB Weld, but I'll sand that down eventually.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I tried several Walmarts and I couldn't find any Krylon camouflage spray paint, and after standing there with the goggles in hand for a color comparison I ended up going with Rustoleum Camouflage spray paint. It isn't the best match, but it gets the job done well enough for the time being. After 2 coats of the spray paint I removed the top DOT snap and drilled the holes for the socket head screws on the face plate and I'm waiting for a d-ring picture hanger to come in.
    [​IMG]
    Now I know for GB1 goggles, most people usually go out and get some weather stripping or foam to make the facepad, which I had every intention of doing, until I started playing with one of Joe Luna's face pads. I was able to feel another tougher pad beneath the extra padding on the face pad I had gotten from him and since I wasn't going to use them, I figured I had nothing to lose and cut them open to see what was going on inside.
    [​IMG]
    Extra padding.
    [​IMG]
    And extra padding removed. It was actually fairly easy since it wasn't glued down or anything like the foam beneath it is.
    [​IMG]

    I nicked the foam a little, since I wasn't sure what to expect, but I feel it gives it a bit of a weathered feel to it :). If I was to do it again I wouldn't initially cut so close to the foam and stay more towards the top cushion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then I hit it with a quick shot of satin black, which the foam readily absorbed without any real tackiness or anything left behind.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't snap a pciture of it, but the side with the snaps is still fully intact and is still attached very well to the foam, so now I don't need to worry about gluing a piece of foam to the frames, and I can still utilize the snaps and everything, so overall I'm happy.
    That's all the progress for the time being, stay tuned for more.
     

Share This Page