Ghostbuster Proton Pack Retrospective: A Ten Year Anniversary

thegreatgalling

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So a neat realization: my proton pack, probably the most sentimental prop replica I own, turned ten years old this past Halloween. It is sentimental because I made it when I was 17 years old. It was probably among a handful of replicas I made with focus and concentration at the time.

This pack, although not too accurate, was made with a lot of heart. On a 17 year old's budget, I assembled most pieces from items around the house.

When I look at it now, with RPF accuracy glasses, I see a bunch of places where I could have improved, but there is something about it that I find endearing. I couldn't imagine abandoning it, especially how great it made me feel when I finished assembling it.

I was an early member of what is now GBfans, but back then, a copy of Venkman71's plans and the pause button was the best we could hope for. Now, with accurate packs filling the web, I still feel the call to build an accompanying pack someday. Maybe I will, but it will certainly sit next to this one, and never replace it.

Anyway, here it it, my "junk around the house" proton pack:

1986b87e.jpg

059e3810.jpg

171b7bd9.jpg

749c5699.jpg

9bbadd2c.jpg

104a22f8.jpg

Anatomy.jpg

Re: Ghostbuster Proton Pack Rhetrospective: A Ten Year Anniversary

Far better than my first pack!

There's something to be said about the first pack attempt.

I can only imagine what you'd accomplish the second go round

That is an awesome home brew pack! I loved doing projects like this, I wish I had been able to keep some of my early works, it is extremely cool to see someone that has such a build from so long ago.

That is an awesome home brew pack! I loved doing projects like this, I wish I had been able to keep some of my early works, it is extremely cool to see someone that has such a build from so long ago.

Thanks Trip, really appreciate it.

I am sorry did you say you built that when you were 17? So we're you born on a leap year and only age one year for every four? When I was 17 I couldn't build a bird house in shop class... still can't.

I am sorry did you say you built that when you were 17? So we're you born on a leap year and only age one year for every four? When I was 17 I couldn't build a bird house in shop class... still can't.

Ha, thanks for saying. I am sure there are plenty of people here that created much more amazing things earlier than that. I am just really happy I found a place with other crazies like me! :lol

Now I feel horrible. My first pack wasn't this good...I was 26 lol

Nice pack mate !

I know anything about proton pack, but it looks like a professional build !!

Haha! I haven't yet tackled an accurate proton pack, but I did a fanciful styrofoam one when I was about that same age. Now I want a more researched costume and the pack is definitely on my list. Did the goggles for this year, though.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Clippards look like White-Out bottles!

Alex

TGG, this looks great! Man I never woulda guessed it was from around the house until you broke it down for us

Forget it's inaccuracies, it's a beauty! Though I may be slightly biased since I freaken love Ghostbusters. I've spent nearly 6 years working on mine, and as you, it's my most sentimental prop. Be proud of yours, man!

As said, I would have never guessed it was made from household stuff!

I can understand the sentimental nature of the PP and other GB props.

Please dont ever get rid of that! you will regret it!

weequay

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back