Ghost In The Shell - Thermoptic Suit

thirteenfold

Hello!

Firstyl I am excited to be here!!! Always loved the idea of prop making but always focused on other interests. After seeing the Ghost in the Shell thermoptic suit worn by Scarlett Johanssen I knew I had to give it a shot.

After a first and second round of research, I understand the process is to create a Life Cast and the final material is silicone and some cloth bits.

After researching other types of silicone suits I couldnt find much. I found silicone molds but nothing cast of silicone that is wearable.

If I used plaster and bandages for the life cast. Then coated the inside with silicone something tells me it would come out absolutely horrible. I cant just fill a mold (big or small) or just add layers. Because if its to thick it wouldnt really be wearable or look good for that matter. That and plaster and bandages method dosent seem like it would provide a clean final product. Not sure how to clean up the silicone if its not smooth... where as resin or whatever you can sand down and what not.

Yes, I know Im a super noob, and this seems like the last project to be someones first. Go big or go home I guess.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

I have thank you. :)

So I would make a lifecast out of silicone and plaster.
Then Make a positive out of that with clay and foam.
Pull that positive and sculpt it to the design of the suit.
Then cast that in silicone and plaster
Then swish that negative with silicone and thats it?

The video with Adam Savage they mention its two casts. The Torso and _______ The legs and arms I would imagine are separate otherwise there are two layers on the torso which sounds like it would hinder movement.

Maybe the arms are attached together where the collarbones are? and the legs are like.. pants?

this is a weird link :wacko

http://www.cosplaymorphsuit.co.uk/fun-cream+color+baby+face+full+body+latex+morphsuit-403119.html

but would a latex body suit be an easier option, its cream and would save all the hassle of trying to make a body suit

also found this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1625192522...=9041088&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

I knew there was an option to buy a spandex suit of it. The thing is I wanted to make it as close to the movie prop as possible. Have that level of quality.

It's an unusual project. Making a silicon skin to wear is going to be very complicated and very expensive. The way I see it you would sculpt the design over the life cast (it will need to be a super thin layer). Then you would make a stone mold (or molds). You could use plaster, but there are better materials out there. Once you had the stone molds you would cast the suit in silicon.

Silicon is very expensive. It would also be very hard to get in and out of, and very hot when you're in it. I didn't realize that silicone is flexible enough for that kind of suit. You would have to be careful with it silicon that thin would tear easily. There is a woman that does Female Predator named Wreav. Check out her stuff, it's the closet thing I've seen on here to what your doing.

I’m all for “go big or go home” but the scope of this project is unrealistic. In addition to the technical learning curve for all the processes involved you also have issues of scale. The time and material cost taken to produce a life cast, sculpt the suit, make moulds, pour silicon, successfully demould, then paint… if any step of the project needs reworking it’s a huge blow to both your enthusiasm for the project and your finances.

May I recommend making a glove as a starting point to help refine your technique and overcome issues before you start creating full body casts etc.? It would look cool and it would provide you with experience, allowing you to refine your techniques before you invest too heavily. You have to remember the original suit was made by a team of people with specific areas of expertise, and I would bet even they made test pieces before they created the final suit.

On a practical note, in case you hadn’t learned this already: be careful applying plaster to skin, it can cause burns.

It's an unusual project. Making a silicon skin to wear is going to be very complicated and very expensive. The way I see it you would sculpt the design over the life cast (it will need to be a super thin layer). Then you would make a stone mold (or molds). You could use plaster, but there are better materials out there. Once you had the stone molds you would cast the suit in silicon.

Silicon is very expensive. It would also be very hard to get in and out of, and very hot when you're in it. I didn't realize that silicone is flexible enough for that kind of suit. You would have to be careful with it silicon that thin would tear easily. There is a woman that does Female Predator named Wreav. Check out her stuff, it's the closet thing I've seen on here to what your doing.

Thank you so much for reaching out. Everything youve said follows up with what Ive read up on. I have not heard or seen anything on stone molds. So ill definitely be checking that out.

Thanks for the link to that female predator suit too. Ill reach out to her to avoid possible obstacles before they happen. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I’m all for “go big or go home” but the scope of this project is unrealistic. In addition to the technical learning curve for all the processes involved you also have issues of scale. The time and material cost taken to produce a life cast, sculpt the suit, make moulds, pour silicon, successfully demould, then paint… if any step of the project needs reworking it’s a huge blow to both your enthusiasm for the project and your finances.

May I recommend making a glove as a starting point to help refine your technique and overcome issues before you start creating full body casts etc.? It would look cool and it would provide you with experience, allowing you to refine your techniques before you invest too heavily. You have to remember the original suit was made by a team of people with specific areas of expertise, and I would bet even they made test pieces before they created the final suit.

On a practical note, in case you hadn’t learned this already: be careful applying plaster to skin, it can cause burns.

Thank you for helping out here :) :) Thats a really great idea. Im not about to believe Im the all and mighty silicone suit builder, especially as it would be my first project with molds. A glove or a leg cast sounds like a fun project to get a feel for costs, processes, obstacles, etc.

Yes, during my research I saw to be very careful with plaster bandages and the models safety. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back