Getting the predator facts straight

xenomorphslayer

Ok everybody I have heard multiple theories on this so I want your opinion. In the first predator why does the predator heat his wrist blades. I think its because he is disinfecting them. Im pretty sure (even thou they dont say it) that he eats the humans. Thats why he hands and skins them (just like a hunter would to a deer). I mean it makes sense that he would eat them right? he has no food and in the second predator he was eating the beef in the slaughter house. Let me know what you guys think.

-he heats the blades to make them slice through flesh like butter...plus it was a cool visual effect! Has nothing to do with disinfecting because I don't think he cares about his victims getting an infection...

-I highly doubt he eats his victims since there is no evidence of that ever happening.

-the skinning is done for the fear factor...he leaves the skinned victims hanging to shock anyone who stumbles into the area and sees the skinned body hanging and innards lying on the ground below. Plus the Pred skins his victims very quickly and hangs them from high heights...leaving us to wonder how he did it to begin with...

-in P2, he never ate the beef in the slaughter house

You can however, imagine anything you want since its just a movie...

So whats he been eating? I think his blades are sharp enough already, besides the would cool off in about 30 seconds. But I dont know. Also. Whats the thing that hits jesse ventura just before the shoulder cannon? it looks like a splatter of blood

-he heats the blades to make them slice through flesh like butter...plus it was a cool visual effect! Has nothing to do with disinfecting because I don't think he cares about his victims getting an infection...

-I highly doubt he eats his victims since there is no evidence of that ever happening.

-the skinning is done for the fear factor...he leaves the skinned victims hanging to shock anyone who stumbles into the area and sees the skinned body hanging and innards lying on the ground below. Plus the Pred skins his victims very quickly and hangs them from high heights...leaving us to wonder how he did it to begin with...

Sure it does, they says he goes every other day to feed, and danny glover says, " well i didnt think he was a vegetarian"

I don’t believe they eat humans either. Nothing in any of the movies or the Monette novel , ‘Predator’, suggest any such thing.
Buy looking at the predator’s teeth and other mouth workings; it would seem that he’s not even a carnivore! Well, not in the true sense anyway. If you look at the SSC predator skull, it’s cleat that predators lack carnassials ( As well as a whole lot of other teeth) and it’s the carnassials that make the carnivore!
If they consume any type of flesh, I always figured it would be things like soft bodied invertebrates, Mostly mollusk; snails (land and sea species), cephalopods and shellfish /mussels. Pretty much anything that’s soft, slimy and will go down easy. I can also see them eating things like maybe echinoderms (starfish) small fish and ells. Basically anything they can swallow whole. I seriously don’t think they chew.

I’m familiar with the scene in P2. To me that scene make no sense. I mean seriously, there’s only so much one can do (eat in this case) with six little “teeth”. (Excluding the four mandibles) and I don’t think crushing, tearing and ripping flesh, like that of cows, deer and humans is one of them.
~Estelle
Now an AVP pred is another story, he’s got a few more teeth to work with. Lol

I always thought that the predator heated his blades so he/she/it could bend them to the effect of pinning arnie's head to the log before challenging him. The use of differeft prop blades also meant that in the next scene where they retract they're back to normal again.... but this is just my theory!

As for the skinning and hanging, who knows what the writers were thinking but the gutting, skinning and hanging of prey is common with food preparation, though in some ancient cultures it was common for hunters to leave 'tokens' of prey animals in a specific spot to indicate to other hunters what prey are in season. I'd like to think that a race as technologically advanced as the predators may have a more varied diet then that which their physical evolution adapted to, and they no longer use thier mandables or teeth as they have blades to cut food to edible portions.

But as I said, thats just my theorys...

I guess he is eating flesh for sure. Like a reptile he surely bite and yank out the flesh of his prey. Maybe not from humans... but who knows it for sure.... just my opinion.

For that szene with the blades I have no clue... it makes no sense for me

I always took it that it was heating the blades to make them sharper or something, like it was getting ready for a one on one battle. But thats the cool thing, I don't think there's a "right" answer to it. As far as what preds eat, my personal opinion is they don't eat people cos its never shown in the films but again its cool cos its open to each persons view.

not really sure why he did that to his blades. but in the comic predator strange roux the predator catches a rodent skins it and then starts eating it by bitting of pieces of meat. so yes they do eat meat. they rip off pieces and swallow it whole.

For the heating thing, perhaps he was re tempering his blades? Hard to say what properties an alien alloy has. As to the preds feeding habits, I think i read this somewhere on the board but I kinda of agree that we should think more on the lines of an insect, perhaps a spider or scorpion.

Yeah me too! Just to add effect to the scene! Don't think it had a purpose! Maybe he was just checking the bladed over before he goes into battle!

I agree with the heating of the blade to make it easier to slice through flesh. The skinned bodies though I am not sure what purpose they serve but I know that they are either unworthy kills, bistanders, etc. For example in P2, the jamaicans and in AVP the guys still on the surface in the abandoned station. What you're saying pred makes sense that it is serving a warning for only the brave to enter that territory but i'm not sure.

Just clarifying more on my answer. When I stated that the hanging bodies are unworthy kills or bistanders I meant it's probably the equivelant of us catching a small fish and throwing it back, either for no game, no sport, etc. I would not mount a minnow on my wall. A shark on the other hand would be a great prize. I am thinking that this is what they do with unworthy kills.

Also do you think it might be their tradition like burying bodies is ours?

Hopkins troop in P1 was obviously killed by P1 after Billy confirmed the troops were firing in all directions and the bodies just disappeared. Perhaps P1 hunted them and they went down with out much effort so they were hung and deemed unworthy as trophees.

In AVP the drillers still in the station were standing in the way of the Predators getting to their destination. They were clearly armed and at least capable of defending themselves but obviously not worthy warriors so deemed not worthy as trophees.

I have always figured that if you are standing between the Predator's objective, not a worthy trophee and KIA, they were skinned to maybe be honored by the pred as part of the hunt. It could serve as warning as Prdtrhntr was saying but I feel my case might be more compelling. =P I do not believe whatso ever that they are hung to make human jerky or to eat in any way. They are being honored for being a part of the hunt or the Predators are being respectful and hanging the bodies. As I said perhaps they hang their dead instead of burying.

So whats he been eating? I think his blades are sharp enough already, besides the would cool off in about 30 seconds. But I dont know. Also. Whats the thing that hits jesse ventura just before the shoulder cannon? it looks like a splatter of blood

Its the skunk/racoon/rodent/badger thing that scares Jessie getting hit by the pred.

Its the skunk/racoon/rodent/badger thing that scares Jessie getting hit by the pred.

He's not asking what distracted him but what that first shot was prior to the plasma caster kill shot. It appeared to be a distraction shot probably consisting of an intoxicating substance. Others say that it was a spear gun shot that knicked his neck. I think it was just a distraction shot though. Any one else care to clarify? I've never looked that much into.

He's not asking what distracted him but what that first shot was prior to the plasma caster kill shot. It appeared to be a distraction shot probably consisting of an intoxicating substance. Others say that it was a spear gun shot that knicked his neck. I think it was just a distraction shot though. Any one else care to clarify? I've never looked that much into.

Its the racoon thing being hit with the plasma caster!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back