George Lucas says Han never shot first, you were just confused

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Funky, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Is he really this out of touch?

Between the Blu-Rays themselves and the recent string of "announcements" Lucas has made, it kind of baffles me how...odd...he really is.

2012: The Year He Lost Contact.

3. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I thought the same thing. If this isn't a joke, he's gone senile and totally lost it. Someone should really pull SW away from him if this is the case.

4. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

He must be really bored if he has nothing better than do than make statements like this and I wonder how many fans this ticks off.

5. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Now we know exactly why Marsha left his *.

6. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Jesus.... What a complete nut. I think he has some kind of parasite in his head or something. He's becoming the Michael Jackson of the film world. Gets ****ing crazier as he gets older.

7. steveo

steveo Sr Member

It almost sounds like he believes the Special Editions are the only SW, cause of his statement that he was just fixing up the part where Greedo shoots first but it wasn't that good and you couldn't tell he was firing first.

8. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Marcia Lucas. It was really that George became Darth Vader about the time he built that ranch. Insulated ever since.

The Secret History of Star Wars

And yes, I just read that interview also. George is trying to make us believe what he said. He knows he's gotta wave his hands around like some Jedi to get us to believe it, right?! :)

9. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Either that or he is the Ultimate Internet Troll.

10. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  11. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

That's a great little piece of writing there. "Indeed, it was only the audience’s own bloodlust that led them astray and left them so confused for so many years—a bloodlust that festered into their ravenous need to set jaws upon George Lucas every time he tries to make his work a little more innocent and magical. Fortunately, all it took was a wider shot and a grafted-on cartoon laser beam to save future generations from wandering down that same dark path, which leads only to anger, hatred, and in forthcoming editions, a nice periwinkle garden." - haw!

Let's see a diehard defend Lucas for this. Oh please let's.

12. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He lives outside of San Francisco, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

13. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Oh boy was I ever confused as a seven year old!

Han never shot first at all! They both must have shot at the exact same time (which of course produced the sparky explosion through the table) and for a wee second we "thought" that Han may have bought the farm...

But he got off a shot a split second after Greedo fired his blaster! The sparky explosion was actually produced by both Greedo and Han firing their blasters!

Man! 35 years later and I finally get it now! Boy do I feel stupid! :facepalm

Thank you Uncle George! :thumbsup :)

Kevin

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  14. Vermithrax 4

Vermithrax 4 Well-Known Member

You know that scene in "Raiders" where the carload of *'s goes careening over that very high cliff and they tumble out one by one as they plummet? That's now the perfect metaphore for George Lucas's mind.

15. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

This is being discussed in another thread right now.

16. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The person writing this thing looks like a Lucas Film spin doctor.
    Vermithrax: lol George is a few Nazis short of a Gestapo?

17. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

:lol

After the day I had today, did I ever need that laugh! Thanks!

Kevin

18. Vermithrax 4

A bit of levity never hurts. :)

19. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

20. terryr

terryr Sr Member

Imagine what he would do to a Clint Eastwood movie.

[​IMG]

21. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

22. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

23. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

So she made him, and she got the Oscar.
    For editing Star Wars no less.
    No wonder he is trying to change everything about SW. When he looks at that film he sees his ex wife.

Thanks for posting that on Marcia, it explains just about everything.
    Imagine what the prequels would have been like if she was involved.

24. John Cooley

John Cooley Well-Known Member

Don't forget Gary.

25. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

So, basically, Lucas has ruined his movies in later edits because he's can't deal with the fact that he's emotionally stunted, which also resulted in his wife leaving him? I guess that explains that scene between Padme and Anakin in Revenge of the Sith where he * near killed her and their children because he thought she betrayed him. But it doesn't make up for the changes, though.

26. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Soon to be edited for the Blu-Ray release, in a way that will better portray Dr. Jones in a better light, since he is the hero.

27. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

O.O

I just... I have no words for this.

28. John Cooley

I dispise George for all of his crap over the years, and have long since lost my love of Star Wars because of it, but I have a question about George and my all time favorite film; Raiders of the Lost Ark. Is there ANYTHING keeping him from destroying Raiders (or Temple, and Last Crusade for that matter)? I have enough rage in my life already without seeing George destroy Indy too.

29. ShadowX81

ShadowX81 Well-Known Member

Oh, those Nazis didn't die. That was just our misunderstanding. There was actually a landfill of pillows right below them and they all landed safely. If they had used the wider shot George intially wanted we wouldn't have been confused. Thank god we have Mr. Lucas to clear up our collective ignorance.

30. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

There is. Steven Spielberg.

31. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

Zing! +1

32. John Cooley

I don't know that I trust Steven that much anymore either. (Sigh)

33. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Technically, Han didn't shoot first.

In this context, "first" is defined as "being before all others with respect to time, order, rank, importance, etc.". Since Greedo never fired his weapon in the original theatrical cut of Star Wars, Han didn't fire the first shot, he fired the only shot.

As for Lucas' comments, I have no idea what he thinks he's going to accomplish. Those of us who have repeatedly seen the original theatrical releases of the Original Trilogy movies know what we saw; no amount of revisionism is going to change that no matter how often he repeats himself.

34. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Yeah he kinda killed that when he edited ET post 911.

35. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

But I remember there were reports about him considering giving ROTLA the same treatment that Lucas gave in 1997 to the original Star Wars films, that fans reacted negatively to the idea and Spielberg decided not to do it. The only digital alternations done were the removing of the guide track equipment for the boulder and the removing of the reflection of the glass from the 'face to face with a snake' scene.

Plus, Steven Spielberg later stated that editing E.T. was a huge mistake and vowed never to do such a thing again. And so far, he has stayed true to his word.

36. Commander Max

Commander Max Sr Member

No we can't, but who knows how George sees it. Since he is telling us a scene isn't what we saw, but what he says it is.

So there must be some guilt going on with GL, making Padme the innocent one.

I keep thinking George is goosing us.

37. ShadowX81

ShadowX81 Well-Known Member

I think peole give Gary too much credit. Sure ANH and TESB would not have been the same without him, and some of his views on Lucas are spot on; some of those views come from some pretty shodddy reasoning. Most of his ideas for what "Return of the Jedi" should have been like are pretty bizzare, and IMO would have resulted in a worse film.

38. wannab

wannab Sr Member

I don't usually step in to these quagmires but...

I would love to take his citing of Blade Runner having multiple cuts and changes so why are folks balking line, and turn it on him. Yes George but, the original cut of BR is still there preserved remastered and in hi def. <This is all I ask! If you do this George, you can add product placements, new absurd characters, give Luke a digital hair cut or bastardize it however you want and I won't say boo.

Doug

39. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

Yes. You make a good point.

40. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

She only edited part of it. There were 3 editors, plus Lucas himself who edited one of the best-edited sequences: the TIE attack on the Falcon.

41. Colin Droidmilk

Colin Droidmilk Sr Member

Anyway, what a confused tool Lucas is. Han wasn't a cold-blooded killer in the original version in any case, since he was a nanosecond away from being executed. The line 'That's the idea' is Solo being sentenced to death by a guy who has a gun pointed at him. Anyone would shoot Greedo at that point. I mean, for crying out loud.

42. Supa troop

Supa troop Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i read this too and i have to admit i had a bit of a chuckle to myself.

Han has a no nonsense attitude which is why we all love him and wasting a Bounty Hunter like greedo without remorse is exactly what the character is all about.

Greedo showed his naivety and lack of Bounty Hunting experience by allowing Solo to hide his hands under the table and Solo made him pay for that mistake, if it were a more experienced Bounty Hunter like Fett then im sure Fett would have made sure Solo have his hands in full view all the time. "put your hands were i can see them solo"
    In a who shot first discussion featuring Fett and Solo i could believe that Fett would shoot first.

Solo made Greedo pay for a distinct lack of respect end of, Lucas has lost it ......

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  43. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And there's NO chance at all that the news article is a hoax, right?

Cuz it's in the Onion and all.

Just sayin'.

Tho the AV Club tends to play it straight as far as I know.

Just puttin it out there.

K

44. Supa troop

Its George remember :) anything is possible with him at this point in time

45. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Yep, I was going to post about this as well. Especially coming after Han's line "Over my dead body". Gee, how confused am I that I wouldn't think Greedo was going to shoot Han. :rolleyes

46. Vermithrax 4

The Arab swordsman shot first. The original cut just made Indy out to be a coldblooded, remorseless killer.

47. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Let's say you built a prop. A helmet. One that you wanted to have three horns. But because you were late for the prop party, you only had time to glue on two. It looks so wrong to you but everyone at the party loves it. Somehow the media show up and your helmet becomes a nationwide hit with prop collectors everywhere. You strike up a deal with a manufacturer and sell thousands. The missing horn is bothering the **** out of you though. Wouldn't you want to make it the way you intended now that you have the time and resources?

48. Supa troop

nope, its the old saying "if it aint broke then don't try to fix it"

49. Vermithrax 4

I probably would. But I'd do it for myself, personally, I wouldn't try to stop production or sales of the two-horned helmet if everyone loves that one and grew up loving it. Nor would I makes assertions that since the three-horned helmet was what I intended the two-horned helmet is obsolete and that the the original buyers were confused because the big tuft of fur that runs between the two horns obscures the fact that there was always a smaller horn under there, that I'm just adding this larger, third horn to clarify the matter to fans of the two-horned helmet who obviously were too stupid to understand that there was supposed to be three horns to begin with.

50. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

And when you start producing the helmet with three horns, discontinue the two horn helmet, and everyone who loves the two horn helmet asks why?

You tell them it had three horns all along; you were just confused.

DAMMIT you guys type too fast! :lol

Kevin