Light & Magic ILM documentary series

I mean it could be interesting but is there really much more that can be mined from this well? I love Star Wars but I think it's almost come to a point where there really isn't much more that can really be learned by studying it's creation.

Unless the documentary doesn't focus so much on Star Wars or Indiana Jones and is more about the history of ILM and how the techonology has evolved. That could be really interesting. As much as I love those two properties, other than identifying certain prop, model or costume components, I don't think there's really much left to explore that hasn't been unearthed or analyzed to death. A comprehensive history of ILM could be truly fascinating though.

It seems every now and then I run into some pictures I had never seen before. (Mainly Star Wars)
Either I just happen to not have seen them yet, but have been in the public for a while, or they were new pictures released, probably a mix of both.
I suppose there are probably more pictures somewhere deep in the ILM vault never released before.
Anyone know If that is true?

As far as a whole documentary, covering other films from back in the day including smaller films they worked on would be really awesome.

Last edited:
It seems every now and then I run into some pictures I had never seen before. (Mainly Star Wars)
Either I just happen to not have seen them yet, but have been in the public for a while, or they were new pictures released, probably a mix of both.
I suppose there are probably more pictures somewhere deep in the ILM vault never released before.
Anyone know If that is true?

As far as a whole documentary, covering other films from back in the day including smaller films they worked on would be really awesome.
I would be astonished if there wasn`t any new SW pics. Imagine the thousands of Polaroid pics taken during pre-production, principal photography, etc?o_O

I would be astonished if there wasn`t any new SW pics. Imagine the thousands of Polaroid pics taken during pre-production, principal photography, etc?o_O
I would love for ALL pictures like that, (mostly the model pics) released in like a huge zip file. At least separated per movie.
They all wouldn't even need descriptions or whatever.
But, it's probably just wishful thinking.

I would love for ALL pictures like that, (mostly the model pics) released in like a huge zip file. At least separated per movie.
They all wouldn't even need descriptions or whatever.
But, it's probably just wishful thinking.
That's been a dream of mine for a long long time.

I've said and thought this for decades; in addition to the movies themselves and McQuarrie's work, all those OT behind-the-scenes photos are one of the best things SW has ever produced.

290756865_5492014704189850_3714591673510942956_n.jpg

Last edited:
Non-SE version of the DS explosion. YES. That's a good sign that the producers and editors know the difference and won't use CG shots from 1997 onward to represent original ones (which has tended to happen in other retrospectives). Looks like they do use the ones that were recomposited but otherwise unchanged, which I can grudgingly accept, although they really shouldn't in this context.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back