Geometry question

DarthBish

OK all you geometry wizzes out there...

I have a pipe that is 1 inch in diameter that I want to enclose in a hexagonal "sleeve"

How do I calculate the sige lenghths of the hexagon??

Originally posted by DarthBish@Feb 22 2006, 05:51 AM

I have a pipe that is 1 inch in diameter that I want to enclose in a hexagonal "sleeve"

[snapback]1190399[/snapback]​

Strictly mathematically speaking, each side length must equal .577". I did it in my CAD software, I don't know what the formula is. Keep in mind it would have to be slightly larger than this so there's a molecule of air space in there or whatever :p

_Mike

Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar question.

What diameter should a press-fit part be in relation to the hole? Say I have a 1 inch hole, what diameter should a part be to press snugly inside it ans stay put?

Think Chen's Obi emitter from a few years back.

Originally posted by DarthBish@Feb 22 2006, 04:51 AM

[snapback]1190399[/snapback]​
hexagon_formula.JPG

:D

- Gabe

Originally posted by Macklin@Feb 22 2006, 05:10 AM
Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar question.

What diameter should a press-fit part be in relation to the hole?  Say I have a 1 inch hole, what diameter should a part be to press snugly inside it ans stay put?

Think Chen's Obi emitter from a few years back.
[snapback]1190408[/snapback]​
To be honest, it depends on the material and tolerances, but typically you want the inserted object to be 0.0001" - 0.0003" larger in diameter than the receiving hole:

press_fit.JPG

God, I hope this does't turn into an "Ask Gabe" thread. :lol

Heh. Looks like it's headed in that direction. :)

I'm thinking T-6061 aluminum. Did you mean to say LARGER?

Thanks,
Patrick

Originally posted by Macklin@Feb 22 2006, 02:10 PM
Say I have a 1 inch hole, what diameter should a part be to press snugly inside it ans stay put?

:lol :lol :lol :lol Oh god, i can't stop laughing

Originally posted by Macklin@Feb 22 2006, 05:48 AM
Heh.  Looks like it's headed in that direction. :)

I'm thinking T-6061 aluminum.  Did you mean to say LARGER? 

Thanks,
Patrick
[snapback]1190433[/snapback]​
For Marc: yes, size matters. :D

Patrick: yes - think about it: anything that's press-fit HAS to be larger than the hole. The material around the hole will expand a bit to accept it. Aluminum is soft, so it's more forgiving than steel if tolerances aren't dead-on accurate. If the diameter was SMALLER by the same amount, it would then be considered a removable SLIP-fit insert.

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Feb 22 2006, 08:38 AM
God, I hope this does't turn into an "Ask Gabe" thread. :lol
[snapback]1190422[/snapback]​

Dear Dr. Gabe:

What is this rash? Am I normal?

-Concerned in Milwaukee

:D

For proprunner :p ;)

Originally posted by LeMarchand+Feb 22 2006, 03:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LeMarchand @ Feb 22 2006, 03:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Macklin
@Feb 22 2006, 02:10 PM
Say I have a 1 inch hole, what diameter should a part be to press snugly inside it ans stay put?

[snapback]1190465[/snapback]​
[/b]

Don't know what diameter you need, but you'd better stop dating Proprunner, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... :lol :lol :lol

I don't have the tolerences here, but there is always a thermal press-fit - where one part is heated to expand and then, when the other part is inserted, the first contracts for a tight fit (can be done the other way with the inserted piece being chilled - like with liquid nitrogen). Or, differential thermal expansion where both pieces are heated, but one has a higher thermal expansion rate for fitting or disassembly. Like the transmission cases on my bike - 350 degrees in the oven for an hour.

db

Originally posted by Treadwell@Feb 22 2006, 06:34 AM
Am I normal?
You're a STAFF member and you're asking ME? :lol

To quote Leia, you're either very brave or very stupid. :D

All in fun, of course. From the descriptions in your PM, your rash sounds a lot like the Scottish Rosey, and that generally comes from intimate contact with sheep....

Is there something you wish to share with us? :love

- Gabe

Originally posted by DarthBish@Feb 22 2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the help, you are ALL legends :)
[snapback]1190828[/snapback]​
Like Kane, I continue to walk the earth, resolving the world's geometry and press-fit crises...

... The Legend Continues...

:lol

Originally posted by LeMarchand+Feb 22 2006, 09:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LeMarchand @ Feb 22 2006, 09:35 AM)</div>
For proprunner :p ;)

Originally posted by LeMarchand@Feb 22 2006, 03:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Macklin
@Feb 22 2006, 02:10 PM

[snapback]1190465[/snapback]​

Don't know what diameter you need, but you'd better stop dating Proprunner, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... :lol :lol :lol
[snapback]1190478[/snapback]​
[/b]

:lol kekeke

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back