Genndy Tartakovsky "Primal"

It’s INCREDIBLE.

I don’t think I even blinked during the first two episodes. The art. The animation. The sound design. The depth of emotion shown without a single word of dialogue. Just amazing.

I knew Tartakovsky wouldn’t disappoint, but I didn’t expect to be this level of blown away.

I wonder if all the episodes will be streaming after initial airing. I don't have cable anymore. I saw no point in keeping it after Samurai Jack made its return.

Finally caught this and this is bar-none the finest thing Genndy Tartakovsky (and company) has ever produced. This takes all his previous experiences and combined, refined, and streamlined them into something genuinely impressive and gratifying to watch. This hits a real nerve with me; it's been the kind of animation I've been rooting and championing for a long while to take hold in the West. It makes modern treatments by its contemporaries in the medium look childish and naive. This is a work that speaks of a man who truly has a grasp on his craft.

In a way, this almost feels like making up for Samurai Jack and complimenting it at the same time. It took all the experimentation and lessons learned on that show and put it to work here. Primal feels concise and clear, both in premise and concept, and bordering poignant on execution. It knows what it is and where it wants to go; something I could never say about Samurai Jack, despite my deep admiration of it.

This is fine, fine work and honestly can't wait for more. This is Tartokovsky in his element and at his best. If I could sum up this show to sell it to people, it'd be "Frank Frazetta's Conan illustrations come to life by way of Clone Wars and Samurai Jack." If that doesn't hook anybody, they need to get their pulse checked.

Last edited:
I like that Genndy Tartakovsky chose Tyler Bates for the music on Primal. His work on Rob Zombie's Halloween is very visceral, bold, and animalistic, with strong, sharp chords and note strikes that feels like the music is stabbing you. You hear a lot of that same sound in Primal and the musical score reminds me of his work on the Halloween remake a lot. It fits the tone of the show perfectly.

Oh, yeah. The music is great. Nothing really easy to listen to but it really fits the show. It reminds me more of Blade Runner (2049, in particular) than anything else.

Soooooo...

Just found out about 30 minutes ago that Episode 6 aired on Adult Swim on April 1, 2020.

Kinda keeps with their tradition of giving viewers a treat on April Fools’ Day.

I watched it just now. It’s kinda hard to find online, and I won’t link to where I found it here because it seemed like the type of site that would have lots of malware on it.

That said...here is a YouTube video about it:

...and if you look through the comments, you’ll probably find a way to watch it...but like I said, the site seems pretty virus-y, so be careful.

Thanks for the reminder!

Wow, that was really gross and sad. Not sure why they felt compelled to tell such a story in such a way. I don't think I'll watch that one again.

I didn't know about this until this thread popped up again. I personally loved it. It's like the rest of the show: savage, brutal, and uncompromising. I think this was an unaired episode as the last one ended on a pretty strong cliff-hanger. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't aired for Treadwell's reasons; this show is gorey and violent but this particular episode had a lot of body horror and almost cruel in its depicting of the "madness."

It might not work for some but I thought it worked and was in keeping with the show had set up. Honestly, I can't wait for more.

I didn't know about this until this thread popped up again. I personally loved it. It's like the rest of the show: savage, brutal, and uncompromising. I think this was an unaired episode as the last one ended on a pretty strong cliff-hanger. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't aired for Treadwell's reasons; this show is gorey and violent but this particular episode had a lot of body horror and almost cruel in its depicting of the "madness."

It might not work for some but I thought it worked and was in keeping with the show had set up. Honestly, I can't wait for more.

I agree that the ending of Episode 5 left a strong cliffhanger, but this is not an unaired episode.

It is the sixth in the series, and apparently was an early release for the second half of the series, with episodes 7-10 yet to air.

That said, it IS a bit disappointing to see Fang is just back...I’d have liked to see the emotion from Spear when it turned out that Fang was okay.

Maybe when the full run of 6-10 comes out, they’ll be in a different order, but as of now it appears that this is the 6th episode of the series.

Last edited:
On a separate note, I read an interesting idea about the show that it’s not set in the past at all, but rather a distant future where society has collapsed after perfecting things like cloning and such.

It’s a logical way to explain how Spear is alive with dinosaurs, and also how there are other “human-like” creatures, and even some of the more fantastic creatures.

Now, I don’t personally need the show to have some logical reason for these things, but I thought it was an interesting take.

I hope the dinosaur is still alive, the last episode was so unexpected and so sad too.

He is.

Episode Six (the first part of this group of episodes) actually premiered on April Fools’ Day in an unannounced block. I posted a link to a YouTube video a while ago that has a comment that will help you find the episode...but click the link in the YouTube comment at your own risk as the site is pretty malware-ish. It does work, though, I watched the episode there.

So despite that episode that released on April First being listed as Episode 6, the episode tonight very clearly picked up where Episode 5 left off...

...and they are showing the one that aired in April as being the next episode.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back