Generic ROGUE ONE Rebel Trooper - Find/Modify/Build Thread

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been a member of the 501st for a while, doing a Stormtrooper and Boba Fett. I have not had much desire to build a Rebel costume until I saw Rogue One. I dig the look of the troopers and the mish mash of weapons and gear. So I thought I would give a go at a mix of Cassian's gear and assorted trooper gear. I am not going for a specific trooper, just a grouping of the parts that have been identified that I like.

HELMET: I have a steel Vietnam era M1 helmet with a chin strap. It does not have the liner and I plan on just padding the steel helmet as is. I have the blast shield coming from the run by Mr. Mold Maker. I plan on sewing the cover myself.

s-l16003.jpg

FLAK JACKET: I found a empty cover replacement for a Vietnam era "M69" style 3/4 collar fragmentation vest. The seams are all open and the ballistic material has been removed. I will sew new lightweight inserts to make it look "puffy" again. Before I do that I am going to try and do a color removal on it and dye it the navy blue color seen on screen. I think I will also add a 3D printed left breast badge and maybe the lower right one as well. I have been toying with the idea of doing a panel like those seen on the Hoth Trooper backs to dress up the rather plain looking back. We will see. Of course the upper right breast will need the yellow painted patch. The sides are now held together with cord but most jackets seem to have tan strapping over that as well.

s-332.jpg

JACKET: I ordered a simple (cheap) brown jacket with a stand collar. My idea is to open the seams and add the stripes down the sleeves and add a badge to the upper left breast.

s-l500.jpg

SHIRT: I have not found a good cheap version of the shirt yet.

PANTS: For the time being I will be using a set of cargo pants that have been wearing out and are destined for "project" pants anyway. I don't care for the Russian BDUs and I have not seen much for details on other pants used.

BELT: Still looking for a good Roll Pin PLCE belt that doesn't cost $30+. I just can't make myself pay that much for a belt.

BOOTS: I have a pair of Timberland Chelsea style boots that I will make a set of covers for out of leather.

s-l1600boot.jpg

POUCHES: I ordered a SMG mag pouch like those carried by the Scarif Troopers. I dig the look and figured it was not far fetched to think a Rebel swiped a pouch. I might use the canvas seven mag British pouch if I don't like the leather one.

s-l1600.jpg

WEAPONS: I will most likely use a cast of Jyn's pistol with a drop holster rig (She had to steal it from someone, right?). I am also considering using the Target exclusive Cassian Nerf rifle for the main weapon. Mostly because it is more Con/Event friendly than a modified airsoft. I would be all for the solid resin version of the main rifle styles but I don't think they are quite on the market, yet.

50933107.jpg

Here we go! This should be a fun bit of scrounge and bash to put together!

Subscribed to your thread right away. I'm really eager to see what you're gonna make of all this.
I too haven't been too prone to wanting to make a rebel costume until R1, I just recently started work on an original soldier costume myself.
Really dig your jacket choice too.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222343937609

im going to do the same. I never wanted to until R1. So ill add in my two cents. I believe the helmet is not a M1 steel pot but a WW2 German Paratrooper helmet. I saw an ad on EBay for a "rogue one rebel helmet" and although the price is too high for my budget. The helmet makes more sense! Ill try to figure out this site but you are welcome to research yourself. The ad is above...idk why. Lol. Subscribed

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222343937609

im going to do the same. I never wanted to until R1. So ill add in my two cents. I believe the helmet is not a M1 steel pot but a WW2 German Paratrooper helmet. I saw an ad on EBay for a "rogue one rebel helmet" and although the price is too high for my budget. The helmet makes more sense! Ill try to figure out this site but you are welcome to research yourself. The ad is above...idk why. Lol. Subscribed

A whole bunch of great researchers here on the RPF have identified the M1 helmet (Vietnam Era/rear seam) as the proper helmet. There is a whole thread on it. The buckles on the chin straps and the dome give it away.

A whole bunch of great researchers here on the RPF have identified the M1 helmet (Vietnam Era/rear seam) as the proper helmet. There is a whole thread on it. The buckles on the chin straps and the dome give it away.

Thank you friend. I appreciate the help. Keep in mind due to my purpose and budget im not going for screen accuracy. Merely an impression.

I have great faith in these researchers, and am amazed at what has been uncovered already, but I just don't see the helmet as an M1. Maybe a British Para Mk 2, or IDF helmet from 1967 War? Looks too round on top to be German FJ helmet, IMO.

Well in the movie there are some primo shots of the liner, definitely has a seperate liner, which I have only seen in the M1, and the webbing in the liner is also in the M1 style

Well, crap! I tried the RIT color remover with the stovetop method on the Frag Vest to remove the Olive Drab color. Here it is after 30 minutes of simmering and a rinse.

IMG_0771.JPG

Virtually, no change. I assume the color is set. I might try a tiny bit with bleach but I don't want to destroy the fabric.

Anyone have any tips on removing the color and changing to Navy?

Well, crap! I tried the RIT color remover with the stovetop method on the Frag Vest to remove the Olive Drab color. Here it is after 30 minutes of simmering and a rinse.

View attachment 695779

Virtually, no change. I assume the color is set. I might try a tiny bit with bleach but I don't want to destroy the fabric.

Anyone have any tips on removing the color and changing to Navy?

By what Ive hear around airsoft forums you can use acid dye. Heres a link. I don't know much about it. So dont quote me on it. But it should help you in a direction.

www.jacquardproducts.com

Well, one step forward and one step back. I went to JoAnn Fabrics and picked up webbing for the sides of the vest, buckles and two types of polyester and nylon dye. Fingers crossed that one will work! The videos show them dyeing golf balls so I have high hopes!

IMG_0785.JPG

But, the jacket arrived and is just a bit too small. I will have to send it back for one with slightly longer arms to accommodate my enormous monkey arms!

Well, one step forward and one step back. I went to JoAnn Fabrics and picked up webbing for the sides of the vest, buckles and two types of polyester and nylon dye. Fingers crossed that one will work! The videos show them dyeing golf balls so I have high hopes!

View attachment 696410

But, the jacket arrived and is just a bit too small. I will have to send it back for one with slightly longer arms to accommodate my enormous monkey arms!

good show man. i can relate im 6'1" and have very long arms. Lol.

Because of the simplicity of my version. if a flak jacket cant be found cheap. i will use a Rothco Ranger vest in olive drab. Ive used it in the past as a flak jacket by wearing it inside out.

s-l1600.jpg

maybe cut the top pockets off and replace them with insignia or nothing at all. i can also move up the straps to the top of the vest where the pockets once stood. what you think?

UPDATE: I also got my Scarif Rebel hat so i will use that and goggles instead of a helmet.

Because of the simplicity of my version. if a flak jacket cant be found cheap. i will use a Rothco Ranger vest in olive drab. Ive used it in the past as a flak jacket by wearing it inside out.

View attachment 696423

maybe cut the top pockets off and replace them with insignia or nothing at all. i can also move up the straps to the top of the vest where the pockets once stood. what you think?

UPDATE: I also got my Scarif Rebel hat so i will use that and goggles instead of a helmet.

I think I would just remove the very top pocket on the left side and add the insignia. Probably leave the straps as is and then dye and paint the yellow patch on the right shoulder. There are so many variations out there in the movie, I wouldn't go too far in modding it. Cool Vest!

I think I would just remove the very top pocket on the left side and add the insignia. Probably leave the straps as is and then dye and paint the yellow patch on the right shoulder. There are so many variations out there in the movie, I wouldn't go too far in modding it. Cool Vest!

Thank you. I think I like your idea. Theres a top zipper above the pocket to be moved. I dont mind it there but I figure its worth noting. Since I have the vest currently in black.

Success! I used the Jacquard "Blue" Poly/Nylon dye with the stovetop method for about 35 minutes. It turned out great! A nice dark blue color when the blue mixed with the olive drab color. It did not truly dye the webbing but I kinda dig the contrast so I think I will leave it alone. Now to move onto the com badge and maybe a few more do-dads, plus the yellow painted section.

IMG_0788.JPG

Success! I used the Jacquard "Blue" Poly/Nylon dye with the stovetop method for about 35 minutes. It turned out great! A nice dark blue color when the blue mixed with the olive drab color. It did not truly dye the webbing but I kinda dig the contrast so I think I will leave it alone. Now to move onto the com badge and maybe a few more do-dads, plus the yellow painted section.

View attachment 697083

Well done!!! Definitely a lesson learned for me on my build. I had forgotten about the synthetic dye they have and spray painted mine with automotive fabric spray. It's really hard to get it even as you can see:
0hUiEp1.jpg

2HwqQ87.jpg

TTxJ2HR.jpg

airQqBL.jpg
]

Last edited:
Hey, those still turned out great! What model vests were you using? I am also curious about the embroidered tape on the jacket arms.

Hey, those still turned out great! What model vests were you using? I am also curious about the embroidered tape on the jacket arms.

Thanks! I'm using the same model you are, but we had to modify for screen accuracy. The sleeve stripes were from a maker on etsy. Just search Han Solo pants stripes and you'll find them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back