Generic Rebel (on a budget!)

ID10T

Sr Member
Yeah!

It seems easier than ever to create screen accurate costumes, if you have unlimited funds.

I however, do not.

So, I thought it would be a fun exercise to challenge myself to put together a generic Rebel outfit, as cheaply as possible. While still looking like it could be an extra in a film.

this all kinda started with the belt. I was in the local army-navy, as I do now and again, just to see what they have. And I found this great belt:

BA762C69-2106-4AD8-A41D-064929EC964E.jpeg

It’s stiff cotton webbing with a brass buckle with OD paint. Naturally weathered! Fully adjustable. I’m on the fence to replace the webbing with a chunk of leather... Price? $5.00

Next, I was searching eBay, for “men’s jacket size large” sorted lowest price first, and I came across this gem:

D3225C56-2136-47E3-9181-25AE405A7A45.jpeg

Black,cotton, no zipper (snap front) angled pockets and just a touch of fading. Only the collar needs altering. Price? $16.94 delivered.

Today, I went back to the army-navy looking for belt pouches. They have lots of them, with prices all over the map. I grabbed this one (appears un-issued) for $3.00

CE60D16A-55F0-4791-B20E-C3CCFFE5C355.jpeg

No idea where it’s from. It has no markings. A larger pocket of roughly 5.5x6x1.5 with a smaller pocket on top, for a small thin item. I stuck in a scrap of foam to fill it out.

While I was there, I also found a surplus German cap from the 80’s. This was $4.00 and my size. I really like the look and fit of this cap.

25AFA99E-A858-49B5-8DC5-5AF9DF11F33C.jpeg

447B3FAC-230E-4B49-B26F-56B28C76FBB5.jpeg

the final piece, for now, is the goggles. These are vintage Loubsol goggles. I like their look but the foam is gone. But they fit on the hat perfectly, and look great. These were the big ticket item: $20.00 shipped.

B3493DAD-A49F-44B8-AC9A-78ECADE5D126.jpeg

So, how does this look so far? Well, let me knwhat you think. For just under $49 so far, I think it’s shaping up.

CB67BC8A-6F43-4ADA-9DF9-1B7EE470B683.jpeg

Pants, boots, sidearm and greblies to go (plus that collar alteration). I don’t think I can keep it under a Hondo, but I’ll do my best.

Thank you both!

I have a Nerf Dameron blaster I planned to paint, after surgically removing the lights and sound for my Airsoft/resin Dameron blaster. But I wouldn’t mind a unique scratch build either... it will require a holster, which can get pricey. Perhaps I can use an old revolver holster. Used holsters are quite cheap generally. The trick will be in finding a fit.

Rothco generally labels their stuff. And is often woven nylon material. This seems legit. But odd in that there no label at all. The place does sell lots of Rothco and Truspec stuff, mostly geared towards MOLLE system.

Thank you both!

I have a Nerf Dameron blaster I planned to paint, after surgically removing the lights and sound for my Airsoft/resin Dameron blaster. But I wouldn’t mind a unique s catch build either... it will require a holster, which can get pricey. Perhaps I can use an old revolver holster. Used holsters are quite cheap generally. The trick will be in finding a fit.

Rothco generally labels their stuff. And is often woven nylon material. This seems legit. The place does sell lots of Rothco and Truspec stuff, mostly geared towards MOLLE system.
I've seen videos where need guns have been converted into rather convincing blasters, so that might be a good thing to do, and it will be a working blaster too! As for the holster, perhaps have a look out for some leather scraps, or pieces at craft shops, or vinyl equivalents. You can make a holster to fit your gun that way. you don't even need leather working tools, a nail driven through the leather into wood underneath is a good way to make holes for stitching.

I have the same pouch in black. (no markings)
It was used (scaled down) in the Tomb Raider reboot game.
At the time Rothco was the only one making them.
It has loops on the back, no MOLLE.

In RotJ they used Vietnam Era US pouches.
Canvas M16 with the grenade loops, nylon entrenching tool carrier, possibly even the compass/first aid pouch.

I have the same pouch in black. (no markings)
It was used (scaled down) in the Tomb Raider reboot game.
At the time Rothco was the only one making them.
It has loops on the back, no MOLLE.

In RotJ they used Vietnam Era US pouches.
Canvas M16 with the grenade loops, nylon entrenching tool carrier, possibly even the compass/first aid pouch.
It is certainly possible. Does yours have any Rothco markings on it? Mine has two canvas strips on the back, for the belt.

Those things combined screams "Star Wars"! Nice job so far. :) Pouch is going to need some weathering though, it just looks too brand new.
Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one wo sees it! And, if I use it, it will certainly get some "love" first.

As it is right now, I'm seeing a lot of OD green. Various shades (which I like) but a lot of green. Despite being my favorite color, I recognize that I need some brown or tan or coyote happening here. (current plan is a white shirt) The leather belt may help in that regard (but will bring the price up!) and I spent a bit of time last night looking for pants. I'm finding a lot of black cargo pants QUITE cheap, but with the black jacket, the outfit suddenly takes an Imperial turn. Now, and imperial back-story to this character is not unreasonable, but for the moment I want to avoid black pants.

I also found some cheap boots that scream Star Wars. The down side is they are not real leather. So, I may apply the closure used on those boots to a pair of NATO steel-toe combat boots I have from the 80's. I think I can make parts to attach to the lace holes with Chicago screws. But for someone buying boots and then parts, they would get expensive pretty quick. Non-leather riding boots are also quite cheap, if you can tolerate non-leather. But, I'd prefer to use leather and/or canvas here.

For the aforementioned white shirt, I found a few possibilities using the "Mandarin collar" search term. Not totally happy yet, but I did find one that could work with alterations. Also, chef jackets typically have a mandarin collar, and are easily found in white and black. Coffee staining the white will make a nice kaki color. Or just dye it. But these can be pricey. I'll keep looking- perhaps Etsy will have something I like...

For pants you could look at something like Dickies or even generic khakis.
Or you can go the R1 route and get cargo pants / BDU's.

It's to bad the East German boots supply dried up, they ran about $14 now around $100.

Sportsman's Guide currently have used Finnish boots for $100 LINK
German Fireman's boots $80 LINK
Mil-Tec jack boots (replica E German) $80 LINK
German Engineer boots $80 Link

I will be checking those links shortly... I used to buy from SG quite a bit pre-internet...

But today I went on a RECON mission to Wally World. Fortunately there was no hard contact, and no casualties to report.

I thought I might get lucky finding pants.

And I sort-of did, actually. Nothing in my size, so I could try them out for "normal" wear, but they had a couple options sub-$20

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

This first pair is not a cargo pant. Basically just jeans with a double-layer leg front. Properly weathered, I think these could make a good ground crew pant. But there were better options...

IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG

I like these, because they have multiple size pockets (with Velcro to keep the flaps under control), rather than the typical big pocket on each leg. Adding some greeblies to one of the small pockets would really fill it out I think. These are the ones I would have grabbed if they had my size. They had some with "short" legs, that would be ideal in a taller boot, but I don't have the boots yet, so I held off on a new pair of high-waters.

IMG_1390.JPG

Here are the details on this particular pant. The colors were good too. They didn't reproduce well (even comparing my phone to the pant in the store), but you get the idea. Basically light tan and gray.

Now, here's a free tip to take these pants out of this world: Get yerself a bar of Otterwax and wax coat the things! Or just certain details, to create contrast. I also saw another Wrangler brand pant with a reinforcement in the right front pocket, so your knife pocket clip doesn't eat up your pants. I like the detail, but would suggest using leather instead for the reinforcement.

And I stopped in other departments as well. I found a possible blaster conversion candidate:
IMG_1393.JPG

A lot of the Nerf brand (and other brand foam dart/ball guns) have multiple barrels. This has one. It seems to need the least re-engineering to become a blaster of what was on the shelf. $20 as shown.

End of report.

The pants look cool.

The Wranglers I bought at Target several years ago have interesting details and I got them cheap (black friday + emp discount = 50%)
The problem I had was they felt like wearing paper bags for over a year before finally breaking in and the waist seams like an odd fit even with a belt.

1616527687931.png

$6.40 shipped on eBay. This is an all-plastic version, but could be a good blaster base, if you're crafty. The NErf is all plastic too (and $20)

That leaves $13.60 for Home Depot shopping spree!

PANTS!

Upper budget, but far less than costume pants...

Here from Rebel Legion, and because I'm never here anymore so I figured I'd log in for old time's sake. ;)

I love closet cosplay! This looks like a fun build, and I'm excited to see what you come up with. I like the khaki Walmart trousers as an option, but it depends what look you're going for.

Weathering, weathering, weathering will make the biggest difference here, I think, to looking "in universe." And remember that troopers wear all sorts of things that don't match. That's kind of the point. What fun this is! Remember to check thrift stores. My Yavin Luke is entirely thrifted.

Sweet. Tomorrow is half-price day at Salvo’s so I’ll be a trolling’ I didn’t find anything last week...

Im also planning a tour of my tool box at home. I have tools in there most full time mechanics can’t identify. Odd stuff for working on old imported cars from the 60’s and 70’s. They’d make great greblies to have in a tool bag, or in pant pockets.

And the Nerf went under the knife today. I’ll start a new thread for that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back