General questions about metal lathes

Thanks Merc
icon_smile.gif

its the metal portion of the Zam Wessel pistol. I still have to make the handgrip.

maybe I can find a pic on the net...

-cris

edit- just thought of the fact that it is spoiler material...probably should not post movie pics here
icon_frown.gif

Just look for the Episode II girl in purple and you will find the gun I am making for Kim's celebration costume
icon_smile.gif

Wow, I just logged back on before hitting the sack early (haha, thought I'd do that 2 hours ago!), and I see yet another great work! Thanks for putting that up, Cris.
icon_smile.gif

It's funny that Merc asked that question, because I actually thought it was a saber! I guess you just can't assume too much...heck, look at the fact that a flashgun was stuck in the end of one of Fett's blaster rifles and that should say enough.
icon_lol.gif

What are you making the grip from? I don't know much about that gun at all. If that's spoiler info, just PM me.
icon_wink.gif

David

I think we are making it from injection molded bondo board or something like that.

I'll let you know after tomorrow. Hopefully I will have most of it finished,

ck

Hi all,

I thought I'd revive an old topic.
icon_wink.gif

Those of you with metal lathe and milling experience, please share your thoughts and works in this thread!

I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. What brands do you recommend (or DO NOT recommend!) for around the 500-1000 dollar price range? What are your reasons?

2. What have you or someone you know created? Please share pics!
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

I have a Jet 9 x 20 lathe. It has a 3/4 hp motor. I find it plenty enough power to cut aluminum for sabers and such. What I don't like about the smaller lathes is the inablility to use a taper attachment.

When buying a lathe you also have to consider the price of tooling and accessories. I got a good deal on my lathe at $500 and have invested another $300 in additional parts.

Here is a link to a Harbor Freight 9 x 20 (identical to the Jet). http://bedair.org/9x20.html

This has a great deal of info about these lathes.

Once I had the lathe it was only a matter of time before I HAD to buy a mill.
icon_wink.gif

I have a taig mini lathe. I can't recommend it over any other lathe because I've never used anything else. I got it for free as a gift, but they seem to be around $400 or so. The nice thing is that they are expandable and adaptable.

http://taigtools.com

It has been a lot of fun to learn with and from.

Here are some of the things I've made with it.

Zam Wessal Blaster barrel
thumb_ZamBlasterFinal%20023.jpg

Gallery: http://box23.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=1

Imperial Disc "Greeblies"
thumb_imperialdiscs.jpg

Gallery: http://box23.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=3

Rebel Pilot Code Cylinders
thumb_rebelpilotcodecylinders.jpg

Boba Fett Knee Darts
thumb_AluminumKneePartsBobaFett1.jpg

Gallery: http://box23.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=18

badger

I bought an Enco Lathe/Mill/Drill combo for $900 new a few years ago- around 2000 I think. It was well worth the money, and hasn't broken down yet (crosses fingers).

It's 11" between centers (average saber length), and I've made dozens of sabers, knee darts, blaster parts, and even my entire aluminum custom blaster on it. The mill is a bit shaky- it uses the drill chuck/arbor, and can fall out if it vibrates too much. Small machines are less steady anyway.

The lathe is great, though. And because of the mill/drill, I have a lot of versatility. You can actually drill into the part you just turned, without repositioning.

some aluwork made with my Proxxon (table, stand & motor ca. $600-700 I think):

block.JPG

PR front block

M1A1 right.JPG

Thompson upper and lower (sorry, allready weathered)

Sgbracket.JPG

Steady Cam bracket

PB150169.JPG

Smart Gun block

Wonderful stuff, you guys! Thanks for posting the pics, also.
icon_smile.gif

It's good to see more people finally joining in here.
icon_wink.gif

Any and all knowledge is very welcome.

That is the big drawback for the Taig, distance between centers. It is definitely a MINI lathe.
icon_smile.gif
The other is no screw cutting capability. But, I got it for free, so no complaints from me.

I can make a fair amount of stuff with it, and I am pretty happy with it. The Zam Blaster was complex, but I did it just fine. Next step is a Lightsaber custom I think.

badger

Thanks again, all who responded. Keep up the awesome work!
icon_smile.gif

I've contacted the administration to see if this thread can be merged with my original one in the archives.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back