General Doctor Whoniverse Discussion

letmebestormy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, since the other threads have been merged into a mega thread that is clearly about the new series, rather than hijack it off its course I'm starting this thread which encompasses "everything"....including but not limited to: All regenerations (careful, there may be past and future spoilers in here), merchandise, speculation, outlandish theories, recommendations, announcements about the show, video game, audio adventures, and whatever else you care to add to the party.

To start it off, the last thing I need is another t-shirt but I had to buy last week's (6/7/11) teefury (sorry I was on the road or would have posted it):

dw-shirt.jpg

Also, there's been a lot of back and forth in the last couple days about the show's schedule over the next couple years culminating in a tweet by Moffat about an hour ago:

"Dr Who: misquotes and misunderstandings. But I'm not being bounced into announcing the cool stuff before we're ready. Hush, and patience."

which might have to do with this:

Although the BBC has ordered a full seventh series of Doctor Who it won't air completely in 2012.

There has been much speculate over the future of Doctor Who especially given recent tabloid stories claiming the BBC sci-fi would run specials in 2012 and return for a full series in 2013 - it's 50th anniversary year. Fans of Doctor Who hoped that speculation was put to rest when the BBC announced it had ordered a full seventh series (13 episodes plus a Christmas Special) with Matt Smith onboard. But speculation continued over whether all 14 episodes would air in 2012 or not - now the BBC has confirmed that while Doctor Who will air in 2012 it won't be in full.

The news broke on Twitter and was confirmed by BBC's Entertainment Repoter Liza Mzimba. Apparently there will be a "special" run for Doctor Who's 50th anniversary in 2013 though exact details of what that means aren't forthcoming. Nor is it clear how many episodes of Doctor Who will actually air next year or why a full series will not air. Suggestions range from budget issues (quite likely given cut backs at the BBC) and scheduling conflicts (again quite likely given Moffat's workload with Sherlock and actors availability).

The new will doubtless disappoint some fans who were looking forward to a proper series in 2012 as not all have been won over by the "spilt" in this year's current season.

I am so down with whatever they do; I'm one of those people who is thankful for the good entertainment he gets and doesn't worry about how much of it there is.

Agreed. And it sounds like Moffat has something big up his sleeve for the 50th year.

Speaking of good entertainment, no...this is not a joke. for £6.99 you can be the proud owner of:

2308791a.jpg.size-700_square-true.jpg

So, not sure how many people keep up with the Dr. Who toy lines but a BUNCH of stuff was unveiled today at SDCC. I'm just going to lead off with grand slam.

351957903.jpg

That RULES. I mean...what else is there to say?

Here is the Big bang Pow line (with Lost teases)

P1390265.jpg

P1390268.jpg

P1390257.jpg

P1390254.jpg

There's also a Tardis lunchbox

BBP12801lg.jpg

And the new series figure release is River with Pandorica chair. They kind of tanked her hair I think.

River%2BSong%2Band%2BPandorica%2BChair%2BAction%2BFigure%2BComic%2BCon%2BExclusive.bmp

I have a feeling I'll be dropping some $$ on this stuff.

I'm surprised the series is not yet coming to an end soon, especially since the Doctor (from what I recall reading) is near the end of his ability to regenerate (I read somewhere, when I was younger, that Timelords were only able to regenerate about 13 times within their lifetime, and the Doctor is on his 11th one now).

Timelords could be given extra regenerations. So it's possible that during the time war, the Doctor was given extra regenerations. I also read on another site someone saying that the 13 regenerations was a rule that was inforced by The Timelord High Council.

More than 12 regenerations are canon in both classic and new Who.

The Timelords offer The Master a new set of regens if he helps The Doctor (in The Five Doctors), and during the Time War ("offscreen", but mentioned when he returns as Jacobi/Simms).

I'd theorize that it's not a natural quirk of Gallifreyan biology, but rather a result of exposure to the Vortex or something along those lines.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back