General Countdown Gauntlet

cyberpred

Sr Member
OK

I have looked all over the net and have not see a count down gauntlet that looks like the first movie. Where there is a display of sequencing lights in each window that turns off in succession.

So here is what I made in the 80s and will give you an idea how to do it.

Will take some work on your part as I am not posting a schematic or wiring diagram.

I used a one shot monostable multivibrator using a 555 for the main power to run through. 5volts is a good voltage considering that the circuit is cmos. So when the one shot is activated it sends a 5volt pulse to the rest of the circuit. You can adjust the time of the pulse by altering the rc time. I recommend using a pot for the resistor.

You will have to build a one shot for each of the led sequencing displays. This will control the on off for the displays. You can then adjust the 5 volts out so each one turns off in succession like it is supposed to.

The sequencing circuit is nothing more than using a 4011 wired up as an astable multivibrator or clock.

The output of this clock goes into the input of a 4017. T 0-9 outputs of the 4017 then go into a ca3082 transistor array chip. This chip will jack the current up so the leds are bright.

You will have to build a circuit like this for every window on the gauntlet.

This circuit works great. Get some kaynar wire or wire wrapping wire to do the pinpoint wiring.

Cary

I don't think I'm going to try it. Your explanation looks a little bit intimidating. While I used to play with electronics as a kid, I never learned how to work with CMOS logic. I did a little bit of a Google search and I found a tutorial explaining how to use a 4011 as an astable multivibrator, and another tutorial on using the 4017 as a decade counter, but assembling everything together and creating the digit output just seems like it would be a lot of extra work.

I think you've built something unique there. You should post some pictures of the timer that you've built, and maybe even a video.

Wow

I am really surprised how many people are intimidated. Looks like I will have to build another. I gave an online tutorial a few years back.

Anyone interested?

Cary ;)

Here is a one shot. The reason it is called a one shot is because when a momentary switch is pressed the 555 outputs a pulse ore one shot of voltage.

tn_555mono.jpg.png

The output at pin 3 will run for 6 seconds with this configuration. The output will be around 5 volts. Use this 5 volts as the VCC for the following circuit.

tn_CIRCUIT.jpg.png

This will turn on the sequencing circuit for 6 seconds.

You will build this configuration 5 times for each sequencing pattern.

My recomendation is get a proto board and components and play with it.

Oh and this may help. These are the numerals in the Yautja language.

tn_SEQUEN~1.jpg.png

Have Fun!!!!!!

Cary ;)

tn_555mono.jpg.png

tn_CIRCUIT.jpg.png

tn_SEQUEN~1.jpg.png

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back