General casting advice - Mask

TheConanRider

Hi, I have recently purchased a cheap vacuum form Guy Fawkes mask and I was wondering what is the cheapest/easiest method of producing a cast of this mask (With corrections i.e beard and mustache). I have never made any type of mold before and I am eager to try so that I can move on to some other projects in mind. I want to keep costs down so that I can repeat the process multiple times without having to worry about wasting money.

I understand about recasting other peoples work. This is just a cheap Chinese mask from ebay. Much like a Rubies mask.

Indeed. You never know, so I thought I'd ask. ;)

Have you checked out any of the video tutorials from Smooth On? I find actually watching someone do it (make a mold and pull casts) was a better way to learn how, you should check them out if you haven't already. :thumbsup

Indeed. You never know, so I thought I'd ask. ;)

Have you checked out any of the video tutorials from Smooth On? I find actually watching someone do it (make a mold and pull casts) was a better way to learn how, you should check them out if you haven't already. :thumbsup

Can you post some links?
Also any alternatives as I live in the uk and I can't find a supplier for smooth-on?

So I have had a look around and had a look at Smooth-on's videos (which only added to the information from the videos I have seen on tested.com) on how to make a mold. My biggest issue is the materials to use. Currently I cannot buy Smooth-on as I live in the UK(The distributor has stopped trading). I can't really find any other materials that are recommended or are a decent price. I have also seen people use plaster of Paris to create a mold but I have read mixed reviews about using it. I believe that the mask should be perfectly fine in a solid plaster mold as there is only minor detail so there isn't much detail to lose. If I was to attempt a plaster of Paris mold what materials could I cast in it? I need materials other than those from Smooth-on.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back