Gender swapped Captain America TFA 100% done! Slowly adding finished photos!

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Minakolabelle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

It just dawned on me that I have been a member here for three years now and I have yet to start a progress thread. Oops.

For the opening night of The Avengers, I too have a big old costume group for it, but with one twist, every character is gender swapped. I being the one that started it and is constantly wrangling everyone, was nominated as Capt (and it really amuses my friends that I too, am named Chris). I like everyone else, still like the TFA version over the new one, so here I am, hating myself over how much work it is going to be over the next month.

So far most of my work has been in the hardware since I am casting it all, and that * shield. I am using Valor's amazing saucer shield method, and I get giddy every time I look at it. Well I did till I realized that I could not leave it as it was, a pretty shield, so I taped off the dings, sanded it back down to the steel, and air brushed the grime around them.

I'm currently waiting on my air brushing so that I can wash off my masking and get back to adding the straps on the back. I hope to have it done tomorrow so I can get back to the million other things I need to do before May 3rd. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA

I also totally just realized I clicked on the wrong forum when I posted this, can a mod move it or delete it for me please?

3. Sean Hebein

Sean Hebein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That shield is pretty sick!

4. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

Looking great! Glad you started with the coolest part.. the shield!

5. Laamberry

Laamberry Well-Known Member

Makes me wanna make a replacement shield :( I miss my old one. Good luck, can't wait to see more progress!

6. PunisherNC

PunisherNC Well-Known Member

Nice!!! Cant wait to see more.

7. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent job on the hardware, can't wait to see this finished!

8. Havok69

Havok69 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  9. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

The Black Widower should be interesting! Pics after!!

10. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Thank you everyone!

Small update for the night, I finished off all the bullet skuffs and started on the strap brackets for the back!

Also with added goofy picture of me and my lady Loki as Tony.

11. Ryss

Ryss New Member

Awesome, looking forward to more pics! I love seeing gender-swapped characters.

12. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Today's update:

I got the straps on the shield, shoulder ammo strap done, as well as all the pouches for the belt. Now the belt plays the waiting game for me to finish casting the hardware.

13. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Down to just some final touch ups before I go mold making crazy :)

14. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Looking great so far. :D

15. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

Did you makes those pouches yourself! Are they leather or vinyl?

16. Buddha

Buddha New Member

The shield indeed looks amazing, I love the weathering on it.

17. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Oh man it has been a while! It's been a pretty busy month and a half-two? for me! Unfortunately Steve was not done for the midnight showing of the avengers but I have an awesome reason why!

About a week before the Canadian premier of the avengers, my friends and I were invited to work the red carpet as living decorations, and not only did we get to see it early, we got to meet Cobie and Mark!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also my fabric would not take dye, so I had to come up with a last minute replacement on the Tuesday for the Thursday, so I hulled butt and turned Peggy's uniform into on for Stella. (as we are calling her because I hate the name Stephanie) I was made the captain since I started the group, and I could not let every one down :(

It started to thunder and downpour in the last bit of light before we left for the midnight showing, so we only snapped a few quick pics before leaving, so please enjoy, and thank you for everyone's support thus far! Back to work I go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

I made them myself! They are leather, but i went with a much darker leather to match my boots I all ready owned. I made one mod to them and closed the holes on the bottom of the pouches so I can use them to hold my stuff at cons an not have to worry about my lipstick falling out the bottom or something.

19. AlexiaRose

AlexiaRose New Member

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update May 30th!)

awesome looking shield.

20. Jaina

Jaina Member

Can I just say how much I LOVE your victory rolls? I absolutely adore them, as much as your awesome shield!

21. Lam

Lam Member

What did you use for the shield strap mounts? Looks awesome!

22. Darth Vulgar

Darth Vulgar New Member

Yeah yeah....what Lam said! Shield and pouches look great. Nice work.

23. Crusaderman2004

Crusaderman2004 Active Member

Okay, I just have to say this is an incredibly awesome build. Love what you are doing.

I'm surprised no one has asked, but are you planning to do any runs on the buckles, stars, etc... you made? I can't tell what size they are, but if they are close to the actual costume (the male version :)) you'd certainly have some interest. It looks great!

24. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Thank you! They took like 8 tries a piece to get them to sit nice and flat on that wig.

Thank you!

I am planning on it, so everything has been scaled to the same size as the ones on Chris' costume. Somethings like the belt buckle look kinda ridiculous and over sized on me, but I'll survive.

25. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

All right for the strap mounts, lets see how much I remember.

First off, I followed Valor's method for most of my build. I had to substitute somethings that I could not find here, but other then that I did what he did word for word.

The straps are simply just skins that I bought at a leather store in Toronto that I then used a rotary cutter to cut them to what I needed before gluing and sewing. It's the same leather as my pouches, so it's darker than the movie, but I wanted it all to match my boots I all ready owned. I believe the buckles themselves are from the same store, that unfortunately does not have a website that I know of.

The strap rivets and the rivets on the mounts are the exact same rivets. I used the full ones to hold the leather to the mounts, then used half of the left over rivets to make the rivets in the mounts. For the mounts I simply just drilled holes, then put them in (cutting the longer posts down) and bashed it on concrete to destroy the back of them, keeping them in place. I used my rivet setter to keep the shapes on the top so they were all nice and domed still :) For the rectangle rings, I bought a 10 pack to use on the shield and my costume.

The mounts themselves were made of aluminum roofing supplies that I found at the home depot, that I also used for the star on the front. The mounts are just single pieces taped to the shield with mounting tape, and the pieces that are actually attached to handles where doubled up with contact cement.

I think that covers everything? Is there anything else that anyone would like to know? :)

26. Crusaderman2004

Wow! Thanks for answering all our questions. I really do love this build and can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm also anxious to see any run/offer you do on your buckles/hardware set. You make this look easy!

27. Freaklord

Freaklord Member

Victory rolls - spot on! Also, the shield is great. I want to steal QuiGonzales "Black Widower" comment, but he beat me to it. Looking forward to the thread - I want to build something for my wife, I may steal some of your ideas....

28. SDUK

SDUK Well-Known Member

how much are you chargin for the back buckle? and postage to UK? please :D

29. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Thank you again everyone!

As for prices, I am not even close to being sure yet! I'm still tweaking everything, but there will be in interest thread in the Junkyard when I have them ready!

30. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

For those of you asking about the pouches, the belt ones were made off Sandman0077's pattern and the chest one's were made form altering his pattern.

I made a pattern for one of the members here so I am uploading my chest pouch pattern for everyone else looking for a pattern for them :)

31. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome on the pattern! For some reason it isn't letting me view it though... I'll have to check on my desktop later :)

Edit: All good now, this will come in handy soon. Thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  32. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Your very welcome!

33. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Thank you for the pattern.
    Did you sew your leather on a regular sewing machine?

34. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

I did. All you should need is leather needles to sew it. However, if you want extra aid in sewing it (and pleather should you need to work with that) a walking foot is an amazing investment to have.

35. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Just a quick update for tonight; I have started the strap sliders for the front straps and I did a few quick pulls of the triangle rings while casting S.H.I.E.L.D. logos for friends. I am happy to report that even at their small size, they are 10 - 0 over anyone I have asked to try and break it. They should be able to with stand the strains of normal wear no problem :)

36. Crusaderman2004

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update June 8th!)

That's awesome! I'm incredibly glad you are going the extra mile and casting these parts. Like I said, if you do a run...sign me up!

I can't wait to see your build all put together.

37. SDUK

SDUK Well-Known Member

the pattern is awesome! thank you for sharing it!.... I'm gonna sound real stupid now and I apologise but on the pic, the top image is the main part of the pouch and the bottom one the flap? or am I mistaken? ...... I do feel kinda dumb now lol

38. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Close! The top one is the main front part of the pouch, the bottom is the back and the flap of the pouch. So when the front is folded up, it will be attached to the fatter part of the back, then the flap folds over all of that.

Will shots of the front and back of my pouches help? Because I have some.

39. SDUK

SDUK Well-Known Member

yeah I would love to see them if you don't mind, thank you :D

40. Capt.K'lon

Capt.K'lon New Member

That looks so great!
    You made one of my favorit characters look even better. ;)
    Awesome work.

41. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

As promised, the photos of my chest pouches. I hope these help.

42. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Hello RPR how are you?

After another break for costume making for charity my progress is back! But It’s been a crappy journey, the first photo is the failed dying of my “100% cotton” herring bone. 10 packages of french blue dye later and it is still baby blue, I am calling shenanigans on it being 100%. So I bought replacement fabric that is 3 shades darker then it was photographed on ebay. It being darker makes the herring bone pattern stand out more. I also managed to pick up some leather gloves from Danier leather for $20! Score.

Then it killed my sewing machine sewing the leather, and went out bought a new one yesterday and flew through the leather work (which is weird because it did all the pouches and straps up to that point with no problems). I ended up just cutting out a US out of the same leather I have been using for all the pouches/straps/the belt so it all matched, and to save me time. I'll be air brushing all the grime on it after FX to make it all stand out. I'm just totally running out of time and still have the costume to sew.

I also dyed the same cotton, as well as all the trim/elastic, in to a muted grey to make it look more dirty like the movie. It took that dye for some unknown reason…

I spent tonight doing piece work so far to sew the thinner trim together for ease in sewing to the shoulder armor later, and sewing all the layers of my straps together. The one is on the master of my rectangle loop and strap slider that I am hopefully going to silicone on Sunday.

Two weeks till FanExpo, let’s do this.

Oh and back to work I go, I'll try to keep everyone updated more, but costume work come first :)

43. Helagak

Helagak Sr Member

I was glancing through this thread and saw the thumbnail of you and stark and though WOW! what a great tony stark gotee!! then I clicked it and saw it was drawn on a girl... soniamdisapoint.jpg :lol
    I still dont know how im gonna grow that gotee! my beard just doesnt grow that way! :cry

44. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update August 9th!)

Nice to see the progress. The gloves look awesome.... sorry to hear it was at the price of a sewing machine.

The dark blue really does show the weave better than the baby blue. Where did you get the "suspected" not quite 100% so others know to avoid?
    Are you going to lighten the darker blue?

As you can guess, I am still bashing my head against the fabric wall.

Also, not that you would be carrying the toy around with you but the new fabric is almost the color of the Diamond Select TFA figure.

45. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

And it was drawn by another girl too. She's pro styles at the Stark 'stash so I had her do it for me, in 5 minutes flat. Her trick is a thin brush, grease make up, and making sure you high light some of it to make it look more like hair on your face rather then just make up. Just use thin shirt strokes, slightly blend with a sponge, do a second layer, high light, then set the make up. It should blend in naturally with any facial hair you actually have.

What can I say, sewing machines are not made to last any more. It got me through it's personal hell that was me in college for fashion and still stuck around for a couple years after, so it's had a good life.

I believe it was from the fashion fabrics club. After the first dye, I went back and double checked the site, and it said 100% cotton. (I checked again, and it appears to be out of stock completely, so no more worries there.) Needless to say, I was fuming. As for the new stuff, it's a polyester blend so it won't lighten up at all. I'm going to use it to my advantage to hide my curves and make me look more like I am built like a woman of war and not just the pinup woman painted on the side of a plane. (curves are a curse some times)

I can link you to the ebay seller for my replacement fabric if you don't mind it being dark?

46. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

What a horrible thing to say. :behave

Thanks for the offer but I am trying to stay 100% cotton/natural fiber but I did find a similar darker color in Hemp at 19.95 a yard.

47. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

I was too, but this was quite a find at $4-5/meter. So I couldn't really complain :)

48. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update August 9th!)

Quick update for tonight:

I stared the painting and pulls for my hard ware. I was determined to have a bendable back star, and other then a tumble breaking one of the strap supports and the channel on the bottom piece, I'd say today was a successful day.

49. P4r4dox86

P4r4dox86 Well-Known Member

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update August 14th!)

Glad to see this build is still going strong :D

Just a question in relation to your belt buckle. I'm assuming it's a resin/plastic pull, and therefore not a working buckle? If that is the case, how are you planning on making the belt workable?

50. Minakolabelle

Minakolabelle New Member

Re: First build here! Gender swapped Captain America TFA (Update August 14th!)

You would be correct, it's a solid cast. All I did was sew the right side around it, because it's taking all the extra strain of the holster beig strapped to my leg, and on the left I kept an extra 6 inches or so of length to feed through the left side of the buckle, and then Velcro it down behind the pockets.