Geiger Counter Prop Help

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by nathanalaneller, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nathanalaneller

nathanalaneller Well-Known Member

I need help on making a Geiger Counter prop like this.

85010684_aff2fa9b8e.jpg

I'm making this prop for my brothers Hazmat Halloween Costume.

It has to have a detachable microphone like tube from the handle. The Box can be plastic or metal, (cheaper if its plastic.) I looked for waterproof storage boxes but couldn't find the right type.
    As for the sound & dile, I thought of using a Electronic Metronome Model 23F.

il_570xN_529141301_kbgd.jpg

It has a speed dile, light indicator, & speaker with a clicking sound. I need to know if I can attach it some way to the dile, (what type of dile I don't know, maybe to a volt meter dial.)

2. jasonw2112

jasonw2112 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The box is approximately, about 9" x 5", by 4" tall. I have a couple I could check , but I am at work. If you want more info on size, just let me know

Depending on time and money, you could pick a broken one up off evil Bay. Than add a gift card recorder, for different click sounds.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. nathanalaneller

4. nathanalaneller

PVC pipe for the microphone like sensor & the box handle / sensor rest. Hobby Lobby Box, 9.25 in. x 4.25 in x 2.17 in.10 Amperes Volt, guage, dial whatever the name is.The grid for the sensor is plastic screen door, painted chrome & held in place with a wood dowel coved in electric tape.I cut the screen into a X to fit in the tube.

Attached Files:

5. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member

What's your budget for this build? There are several actual radiation survey meters like that listed on ebay right now. Search "Victoreen CDV-700".

6. nathanalaneller

I don't need a working geiger counter, just one that looks & sounds like one.
    My budget is 50 bucks.

my costume build includes hazmat suit, black gloves, boots, gas mask & geiger counter.

7. nathanalaneller

Is their anyone here good with electronic circuitry?
    I bought a metronome off ebay for the Geiger counters clicking effect but, it's to slow & need help on what circuit to replace to make faster.
    It's a simple circuit. (I'm reading the labels on the circuit at this time, I know nothing of electronics.)
    It's 9v circuit that uses two pn 2907 transistors, (I think), a 10v 470uf capacitor, a 10v 33uf capacitor, (let me know if I get the names wrong), an on/off 10a 1000k ohm potentiometer, & a 8 ohm 0.2w speaker & red led, (I don't know the voltage on the LED).

8. zapwizard

zapwizard Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

9. nathanalaneller

Can you find a video with a step by step, to put the circuits of the 555 timer metronome on a breadboard?

I tried to read a diagram of the 555 metronome & all I got was a silent speaker & a burnt out LED. :(

10. nathanalaneller

The bottom link helped extremely. It took me three tries & as the saying goes, third times the charm & its working. Thanks for the info. :D