Geiger Counter Prop Help

nathanalaneller

I need help on making a Geiger Counter prop like this.

85010684_aff2fa9b8e.jpg

I'm making this prop for my brothers Hazmat Halloween Costume.

It has to have a detachable microphone like tube from the handle. The Box can be plastic or metal, (cheaper if its plastic.) I looked for waterproof storage boxes but couldn't find the right type.
As for the sound & dile, I thought of using a Electronic Metronome Model 23F.

il_570xN_529141301_kbgd.jpg

It has a speed dile, light indicator, & speaker with a clicking sound. I need to know if I can attach it some way to the dile, (what type of dile I don't know, maybe to a volt meter dial.)

The box is approximately, about 9" x 5", by 4" tall. I have a couple I could check , but I am at work. If you want more info on size, just let me know

Depending on time and money, you could pick a broken one up off evil Bay. Than add a gift card recorder, for different click sounds.

Last edited:
PVC pipe for the microphone like sensor & the box handle / sensor rest. Hobby Lobby Box, 9.25 in. x 4.25 in x 2.17 in.10 Amperes Volt, guage, dial whatever the name is.The grid for the sensor is plastic screen door, painted chrome & held in place with a wood dowel coved in electric tape.I cut the screen into a X to fit in the tube.

Attachments

• GeigerCounter 01.jpg
    GeigerCounter 01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 493
What's your budget for this build? There are several actual radiation survey meters like that listed on ebay right now. Search "Victoreen CDV-700".

What's your budget for this build? There are several actual radiation survey meters like that listed on ebay right now. Search "Victoreen CDV-700".

I don't need a working geiger counter, just one that looks & sounds like one.
My budget is 50 bucks.

my costume build includes hazmat suit, black gloves, boots, gas mask & geiger counter.

Is their anyone here good with electronic circuitry?
I bought a metronome off ebay for the Geiger counters clicking effect but, it's to slow & need help on what circuit to replace to make faster.
It's a simple circuit. (I'm reading the labels on the circuit at this time, I know nothing of electronics.)
It's 9v circuit that uses two pn 2907 transistors, (I think), a 10v 470uf capacitor, a 10v 33uf capacitor, (let me know if I get the names wrong), an on/off 10a 1000k ohm potentiometer, & a 8 ohm 0.2w speaker & red led, (I don't know the voltage on the LED).

You can lower the resistance or the 33uF capactior (assuming it is connected directly to said resistor).
See the link below on how simple metronome circuits work.
http://www.eleccircuit.com/simple-metronome-using-transistor/

A 555 time (integrated circuit) based Metronome is probably the simplest, most fool proof way to get into electronics:
http://www.jameco.com/jameco/pressroom/metronome.html

Can you find a video with a step by step, to put the circuits of the 555 timer metronome on a breadboard?

I tried to read a diagram of the 555 metronome & all I got was a silent speaker & a burnt out LED. :(

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back