Gears Of War 3: Torque Bow WIP

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by XxCALIBERxX, Dec 19, 2011.

1. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Okay guys and gals! Been working on this baby for a while now. Got it up to a stage where I'm confident I can get all the modelling down within the next fortnight and thought I'd just show you lost some pictures. Here goes.

I've been using various techniques, some old some new. The main body is made of Poplar wood (Beautiful to carve and dremel, Absolutely shocking to turn on a lathe) And various other woods for the lathe bits and peices. Most of the detailing is layered styrene sheets of different thicknesses refined with body filler.

A neat trick that I haven't seen around the forums is the use of vaseline and body filler to make a perfectly shaped housing for one peice to slot into another. Simply by applying vaseline to the surface you don't want the filler to stick to you can create an impression in the peice that the filler does stick too. Very useful and saves a tonne of time.

I haven't done any of the circular detail work yet, I'm leaving that for last, so that bumps and dups don't get in the way of smoothing out other detail work.

Plan is by the end of it to be able to retract and spring out at the push of a button (spring out that is, doubt if it will retract at the press of a button.). Have some sort of pipe and spring system at the end to take and arrow and so on... Its coming along to say the least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the shotty photos, all were taken with my phone)

Tell me what you think.

Not much at the moment, but its getting closer.

(Same thread on 405th, saves having to re-write everything)

Cheers, Dave.

2. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks lovely!!

great work thus far, watching with great interest. its about time someone took a shot at making the torque bow!!!

3. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Thanks man! It'll be a challenge but hopefully I can handle it. :D. I shall not dissapoint! Now I got to impress the guy that made that beautiful hammerburst! ;).

Cheers, Dave.

4. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

[​IMG]

Still need to refine the 'vents' and then more work, but closer.

Cheers, Dave.

5. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

Sweet merciful COG.

General RAAM would be proud.

Also make me one. RIGHT NOW. DO IT NOW. NOW NOW. /froth

6. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Bit more. :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until next time.

Cheers, Dave.

7. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

And another one.... Come on guys! Tell me what you think! Need some sort of feedback! :D.

[​IMG]

Cheers, Dave.

8. blinddrummer15

blinddrummer15 New Member

Looks reallly, really good so far! I love the gears games & can't wait to see this finished!

9. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Okay, little update.

Started the arrow and drilled out a hole for it. The end pieces are now in place and the plate on the very fron is in place. Did a few bits of cleanup here and there and then did a quick mock up of the retraction system to make sure it would work full scale. Good news is, it will. :D.

Photo's show just how big this thing will be! :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell me what you guys think!

Cheers, Dave.

10. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Okay Ya'll. Time for another update, lot of circular details done and drawing closer and closer to finishing it! :D.

Have a squiz and tell me what you think. :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now!

Tell me what you lot think! And everyone have a good New year!

Cheers, Dave

11. ShowMe482

ShowMe482 Member

This is fricking epic!

12. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

looks awesome....do you plan on adding a pulsing light to the front of it?

13. p0rtalman

p0rtalman Well-Known Member

Nice job man! Btw, are you in sydney?

14. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dave, it's looking teriffic!!

I would spend some time cleaning up some of the lines though, your work is great so far and you are really making some great progress, but one thing i learned is taking the time to straighten lines up and producing some clean shapes pays dividends when standing back and taking the prop in.
    It needs to be clean and manufactured looking, go over some of the curves and lines with a small file / sandpaper, step back and take your time, you will get more out of it at the end, trust me!

15. PepMaster

PepMaster Sr Member

This is the only way I can describe my feelings for this.
    [​IMG]

16. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

God! This forum freaking hates me, I've replied like 4 times now and the * thing keeps redirecting me!

@Showme487 (See, I know everyone's names now!)

Thanks man! Really appreciate it!

@Allosaurus176

Thanks bro! It's definately on the list of things to do! :D.

@p0rtalman

Hey dude! Appreciate it! Sadly I'm not from Sydney, why's that pray tell? I thought you were in Ballarat? I guess you ended up getting that job after all! On yah! :D. In case you were curious I'm that same kid that enquired about molding supplies so long ago on MSn. :D. Small world aye? ;).

@G17RDY

Thanks man! Means a lot coming from the fella that made that awesome hammerburst. Have no fear, all the circular details are detachable for that exact reason, so that I can go over the entire thing later and fine up all the lines and flat edges! :D.

@PepMaster

Haha! Fry's expression really does say a thousand words! :D. Thanks man! FYI I'm planning on doing a run or two of these babies, so keep your eyes peeled! :D.

Thanks everyone. Stay tuned.

Cheers, Dave!

17. DarthWad3r

DarthWad3r Member

I was going to ask if you were gonna do a run of these. The Torque Bow is my favorite weapon from Gears.

18. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

No! I haven't died! But thanks for asking! :).

Teaser...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been smoothing is down a lot and trying to get the arms of the bow to work perfectly. I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't be able to make my own spring, telescope system, but have stumbled across these things called 'gas strut's' which I think will suit my needs beautifully, with a little paint, rejigging and the right sizing. For those that don't know, think of the things that hold the windows up on the canopies of utes/trucks. And you got it. :).

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  19. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Tiny update, mold prepped and ready for silicone. Mold being the limb that wil lbe duplicated and flipped over. :).

[​IMG]

Cheers, Dave.

20. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Okay guys, been busy of late. Poured the silicone, mother moulded and have cast a few copies.

[​IMG]

First casting didn't go too well.

[​IMG]

It set way too quickly in the heat. Next day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to get a look at what I am hoping to achieve. :).

First decent casting I did was poured into the mould via the funnel and then roto cast, which turned out alright, but the coverage wasn't very even. Any help on that or tricks? I drill a few holes in it and filled it with expanding foam to strengthen it, but it would be better to avoid that altogether. :).

Second decent casting was done in two parts, cast one side, then the other, then put the two together and poured into the funnel. Worked really well, good coverage, good strength, etc.

Cheers, Dave.

21. DarthWad3r

DarthWad3r Member

Lookin good man. Cant wait to get one of these.

22. DarthWad3r

DarthWad3r Member

Any new updates?

23. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Sorry mate, been pre-occupied with school. Sadly. And I'm working on a commission that is taking up a good majority of time. :/. The gas strut's came in though, so next update you will probably see them in action. :).

Cheers, Dave. :).

24. DarthWad3r

DarthWad3r Member

Motivational bump. Give us Torque Bow!

25. Majonaise

Majonaise Member

Looks great bro. Nice and beefy as it should be. =) I'm excited to see it in paint once school and your commish let up.

I'm gearing myself up to take on the same subject so it's fun to see the route you charted in taking it on. Outta curiosity, how long overall did you make yours? Pretty sure I'll scale mine to 19" overall-- beefy, but not uncomfortable to hold.

26. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Hey everyone! I feel terrible about not updating you guys as often as I did earlier on. But, as previously stated. School, and when I'm not doing school work, this commission has taken up most of my time, not to mention the Soundwave I was at over the weekend, but that's beside the point. It will be finished, I promise you all that. When I find some spare time to do it! :).

Thanks for sticking with me, I'll get there eventually. :). Min is 590 mm (according to google 23.22 Inches). And I reckon it could be bigger. I scaled it so that my hand would fit on the handle and on the foregrip. :). Good luck man! It's a ***** of a thing to make!

Cheers, Dave.

27. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Okay, after permission was obtained to show you all.

I present Myrrahs helmet so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merry christmas you all. Next time I'll have a Torque Bow update, I swear!

Cheers, Dave.

28. DarthWad3r

DarthWad3r Member

That's incredible man

29. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Okay everyone, after being stabbed multiple times, fighting a bear and circumnavigating the world doing a handstand. I'm back. And I apologise it has taken me so long to update everyone, I've been rather busy of late! :).

So, update on the bow, I've failed. Not at making it, but in achieving the spring out motion, I've tried and tried again to no avail, the physics and angles just don't work out in the real world, sadly.

The angle of the supporting arm, just does not allow for the amount of force being imparted on it by the bow limb... No only that but the 700N gas springs are too big and don't allow the * thing to fold in properly. I doubt it would have worked in the first place, perhaps with more complicated mechanics (which I've got no idea how to make or use).

Other than discovering that I did a lot of smoothing out and work on the bow itself, especially the two replica's of the arms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^that is the mould of the arm of the bow.

Okay... Now, for face melting madness. This is the commission I was working on! Permission to post was pre-acquired. It's pretty much done, except for some minor smoothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers everyone, tell me what you think!

30. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Hey ya'll! Just dropping by with an update.

Torque Bow still coming along, slowly, should speed up now that I've got that helmet moulded and cast. :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now! :).

31. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Few more shots for scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. Ford W Maverick

Ford W Maverick Well-Known Member

That looks bad-*!

33. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Thanks man!

34. darkchylde80

darkchylde80 Well-Known Member

Really want to play GOW3 now just so I can weild one of those bad boys!

35. DarthWad3r

DarthWad3r Member

Size looks perfect man. I want 1 so bad

36. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

I'll more than likely be moulding it and casting a few, so keep your eyes peeled. :).

37. lisatnp

lisatnp New Member

x,
    thanks for directing me here!
    That torque is sweet! ( weather it works or not it is sweet looking!)
    The helmet is looking quite nice too.
    ( Makes me hate her even more!lol)

38. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Haha! That's alright man! Pleasure to be of assistance. And thanks man! I appreciate it.

39. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Hey everyone! Guess what! I'm pretty much calling it done now, paint needs a little touch up. But it's basically there! Tell me what you lot think! :).

I also added the blade to the bottom limb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flash makes the bow look glossy, I assure you it's not. Check out the video for a better look at that paintjob and bow itself.

Full scale Torque Bow - YouTube

Thanks everyone, tell me what you lot think! :)... And perhaps, what's next?

Cheers, Dave.

40. Nerfenstein

Nerfenstein Active Member

Wow really cool build. I dread to think how long that took you.

On a side note, you look quite like that boy from Twilight, the werewolf, not the vampire lol

41. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Thanks! A very long time, way to long. But worth it in the end I reckon.

Hahaha! You've got no idea how often I cop that one. :). I've actually learned to turn around when someone yells out Jacob or Taylor... Sad life. ;).

42. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Did a bit more today, painted the arrow, wrapped the handle. And pretty much finished everything else up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think Ima call it done. :).

43. Ford W Maverick

I see it's got what looks like piston rods out to the arms of the bow, does that mean it folds up? I haven't gotten to play the 3rd game yet, so I don't know if it does in the game, but it looks like it would. Either way, folding or static, it still looks amazing.

EDIT: Heh, just went back and saw your post about that. Still though, maybe when you cast it there might be some way to work that out?

44. XxCALIBERxX

XxCALIBERxX Member

Those are styrene pipes. Sadly.... But yes, once it's moulded I'll have a hollow shell in which I can project the rod back into and hopefully make some sort of 'hero' Bow that folds up. And springs out... That's the plan anyway. :).

45. Ford W Maverick

Cant wait to see that!